New York politicians pushing Scientology

blatham

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 02:36 pm
Be clear, I'm doing no defense here. But you guys will have to forward your source data.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 02:50 pm
Blath,
The 'Church of Scientology' has tried to suppress any mention of the events leading to the founding of Scientology.

The trick is to go to as many Sci-Fi conventions for as long as I have been going to them and sit down and speak with some of the older authors in the field and correspond with them.

It has been an 'open secret' among the sci-fi community and those of us who have had the honor to buy drinks for those who heard the story from the original people involved. The tale will make you laugh so hard, your sides will split. Even Mr. Hubbard had NO idea that things would get so 'out of his control' and end up like they did.

Can I sit and send you a link to the conversations I had, no.

Am I sure about the veracity of the story and the truthfulness of those who told it, yes.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 02:55 pm
I actually heard the tale from F. M. Busby, when I lived in Seattle.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 02:59 pm
Spider Robinson heard it from the old-schoolers.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 03:08 pm
hobitbob wrote:
I actually heard the tale from F. M. Busby, when I lived in Seattle.

I've had the honor of meeting Mr. Busby, Hobitbob.

Over the years, I have come to one conclusion. Most sci-fi authors are the greatest group of people you would ever want to meet. If you want to have a good time with them, just stay quiet and be a good listener and they will talk... all night... and all the next day... forever. Very Happy

Most of them have the BEST stories and never seem to tire of telling an appreciative audience.

I have learned much about to 'old days', I have learned some things about authors who's work I absolutely love that I wish now I didn't know.

I have heard of triumphs (awards and recognition) and tragedies.(Especially the authors that have killed themselves in one way or another.) I still enjoy writing to the authors that I have met and I mourn everytime one of the 'Old Guard' passes on.

But switching back to the original topic, Blatham, keep in mind that Scientology has a HUGE stake in destroying any documents, papers or information that could destroy the status quo.

They have ruthlessly persecuted those who try to speak the truth or those who even encourage members to leave the 'church'.

I don't think this is what L. Ron Hubbard had in mind, but as I saw on someones sig line once:

No pebble believes that it is responsible for the avalanche.[/i]
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 03:30 pm
Fedral wrote:
Over the years, I have come to one conclusion. Most sci-fi authors are the greatest group of people you would ever want to meet. If you want to have a good time with them, just stay quiet and be a good listener and they will talk... all night... and all the next day... forever. Very Happy

Most of them have the BEST stories and never seem to tire of telling an appreciative audience.

Absolutely, Fedral. The best new year's eve party i ever went to was mostly canajun sci-fi writers, and some SCA'rs. An amazing evening and a half.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 03:38 pm
Were Tanya Huff or Charles DeLint in attendance?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:30 pm
edited
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:31 pm
ps...I am going to leave this post above intact for about an hour, then I will remove it. The reason ought to be obvious.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:34 pm
You mean...the Bush administration is really a front for the Scientologists???!!!??? Shocked
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:35 pm
Fedral wrote:
The part about Scientology that they DON'T want you to know:

Many, MANY years ago, during the great Golden Age of Science Fiction, a group a Sci-Fi authors were sitting around late one night (The authors of that era were few and far between and tended to a rather 'tight' community)

Several of the 'Legends' of the field were supposedly present.(Asimov, Heinlein, etc .. no one knows for sure ) But a fairly well respected author by the name of L. Ron Hubbard was present.

During the evening, over many glasses of alcohol, the subject of these well written men turned to the topic of religion.

There were many arguments over just HOW Christianity 'took off' so fast and strong.

Well, to make a long story short, Mr. Hubbard said that all you need is a believable message that people could understand and the people would 'flock to your banner'.

Well, many of the other author there that night disagreed and finally, Mr. Hubbard made a proposition.

He claimed he could start a completely new 'religion' and within 10 years have over 100,000 members/adherents.

The others claimed he was crazy, but he insisted that if they accepted the wager, he would have a group within 10 years that met all the criteria of a 'religion'.

Well, serious money was placed on the table that night and entrusted to a neutral party.

L.Ron Hubbard went out and started Scientology...

Ten years later, Scientology had well over 200,000 worshipers and growing.

He won the bet, but discovered that a few unexpected things had happened:

1) The adherents, took it VERY seriously and didn't want to hear that their belief was part of some 'gentlemens wager'

2) He no longer had any control over the hiearchy of his religion. (The 'True Believers had taken that post over)

3) No one would take him seriously as a Sci-Fi author since he started some sort of 'cult' and thus he was selling no more Sci-Fi books.

4) The followers of his religion threatened 'dire consequences' if he revealed the 'truth' behind it's formation.

So Mr. Hubbard, accepted a generous cash settlement from his 'Church' as long as he ever commented on Scientology and left the 'Church' completely.

And now you know ... the rest of the story

Yeah, those jews are crazy, what with thier secret societies and all.....

The parody is parallel, my friend.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:41 pm
After all, Christianity is so much more believable and innocuous. Again:

Take several non-eyewitness accounts of some obscure events, none of which even remotely agree with eachother, wait 300 years and have a convention of beauracrats in Nicea decide what should and should not be in the good book, rewrite them, expurgate stuff you don't like and make the texts homogeneous, still fail to make texts agree with eachother, sell it by force to all of Europe, kill millions in the process, stifle scientific inquiry for a thousand years, subjucate the native peoples of countless foreign shores, then preach brotherhood, while praying to a baby-killing homophobic egotist.

.....where do I sign up?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:53 pm
blatham wrote:
ps...I am going to leave this post above intact for about an hour, then I will remove it. The reason ought to be obvious.

a) I removed that response 10 minutes too early

b) that was discrimating all outsite your time zone

I feel treated like a pariah :wink:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:56 pm
Walter

If you feel like a pariah, I recommend bathing for no less than one hour in the breast milk of Italian virgins.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:01 pm
Er..if they're virgins, how can they have breast milk? Confused
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:02 pm
never heard of Liebfraumilch? Surely the Italians are entitled, as well . . .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:08 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Er..if they're virgins, how can they have breast milk? Confused

It's a good point. But it's a negative, and is cancelled out by the second negation...Italian virgin. Thus making the statement true.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:13 pm
Liebfraumilch is thought to be a terrorist's weapon here.

And Italian virgins? 40,000 have been killed together with St. Ursula - no doubt, that none is left.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:19 pm
Nah...she was just a technical virgin. You know those catholic schoolgirls! Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:24 pm
hobitbob wrote:
You know those catholic schoolgirls! Wink

Oh, yes, I'd had tested that. :wink:
0 Replies