New York politicians pushing Scientology

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:37 am
CultNews.com. "Senator Schumer and Congresswoman Maloney now join Tom Cruise as ardent boosters and fundraisers for Scientology through what can be seen as a thinly-veiled program promoting its teachings."

MSNBC

(I never heard of the woman, but Chuckie Schumer has no business holding political office anywhere)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,064 • Replies: 64
No top replies

Titus

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:45 am
OK, I'll bite.

What exactly is Scientology?

I've heard about it for years and know it was founded by the sci-fi author, L. Ron Hubbard, but beyond that, I have never been able to learn any details.

Does anyone know what they believe, don't believe, etc.?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:00 am
Titus wrote:
OK, I'll bite.

What exactly is Scientology?

I've heard about it for years and know it was founded by the sci-fi author, L. Ron Hubbard, but beyond that, I have never been able to learn any details.

Does anyone know what they believe, don't believe, etc.?

A) Humans are physical traps for souls o f aliens who lost in a war millions of years ago.
B) those souls were trapped in a volcano by strange lizardy things.
C) By spending a lot of money on Scientology stuff, you can free yourself from re-incartnations and have sex with Penelope Cruz. Very Happy
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:03 am
IIRC Scientology was invented by L. Ron Hubbard after many of his other inventions failed. I think it was Wayne Green who was telling the story of being at Hubbard's house when he came up with the idea for Scientology. You can search for it on the web and find a more accurate description, but basically it assumes that your mind is all screwed up and you need an expert to "clear" you. The treatments cost you money and do you no good at all. There is a science fiction component to it, since Hubbard was a scifi author. The back story talks about a guy named Xenu who murdered millions, and the souls of the dead are inhabiting your body right now.

Scientology is illegal in Germany if I'm not mistaken. And there are stories about people who oppose it and get followed and spied on and persecuted. Anyway, here's a website where you can read what an opponent says:

http://www.xenu.net/

And here's the official website:

http://www.scientology.org/
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:07 am
hobitbob:

Dude, you're making this up?

All I know is, Tom Cruise gave up Nicole Kidman because she wouldn't give up Catholicism and convert to Scientology.

Hell, I'd give up Catholicism for Nicole Kidman. LOL!!!!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:09 am
Wot?!? Ultra-Liberal Chuckie Schumer is out supporting a "faith based charity"? Where is the outrage?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:42 am
Scientology is indeed a bizarre cult. It holds, as a foundational idea, that the universe was created by a sentient presence. In the past, those who have left the group, or spoken out against it, have no only been spied upon but burned at the stake. They believe, no kidding, that they are in possession of the only right and true belief. Also, not only do they hold that one's mind is screwed up and in need of repair from an expert, but that one's spirit or eternal soul is in real danger of forever being without peace if one is not 'born a second time'. Amazing, but true.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:46 am
blatham wrote:
Scientology is indeed a bizarre cult. It holds, as a foundational idea, that the universe was created by a sentient presence. In the past, those who have left the group, or spoken out against it, have no only been spied upon but burned at the stake. They believe, no kidding, that they are in possession of the only right and true belief. Also, not only do they hold that one's mind is screwed up and in need of repair from an expert, but that one's spirit or eternal soul is in real danger of forever being without peace if one is not 'born a second time'. Amazing, but true.

Don't Catholics believe they are in possession of the only right and true belief?

Don't born again Christians believe you have to be 'born a second time'?

I'm not saying Scientology's beliefs are worthy, but these two criticisms also fit other mainstream religions.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:48 am
which, I gather, was Blathams point.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:53 am
dyslexia wrote:
which, I gather, was Blathams point.

I have a long way to go to be a Veteran to know posting styles! Embarrassed

Please forgive the interruption.

Carry on.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:54 am
No cause at all for the blush. Please carry on with us.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:05 am
unlike meself, Blatham tends to post with obscure and cryptic styles.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:05 am
"Don't Catholics believe they are in possession of the only right and true belief?" Camille

No. In fact, you're taught to respect other's religious beliefs including the absence of religious beliefs.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:09 am
I think blatham was being facetious. I doubt any Scientologist ever burned anyone at the stake.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:12 am
Tarantulas wrote:

Scientology is illegal in Germany if I'm not mistaken. And there are stories about people who oppose it and get followed and spied on and persecuted. Anyway, here's a website where you can read what an opponent says:

http://www.xenu.net/

And here's the official website:

http://www.scientology.org/

You are completely wrong.

Scientology just didn't get "church tax" here. However, earlier this year, the German Federal Finance Court granted tax exemption to Church of Scientology International, the mother church of the Scientology religion.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:28 am
Camille wrote:
blatham wrote:

Don't Catholics believe they are in possession of the only right and true belief?

Don't born again Christians believe you have to be 'born a second time'?

I'm not saying Scientology's beliefs are worthy, but these two criticisms also fit other mainstream religions.

except he the founder was a scifi writer - ok
here's the Deal I'm gunna start something in Oregon on a big Ranch - everyone can worship me and I'll say sex is expected but I'd like to tell you who to have it with and of course we're all gunna watch.
I wonder he he's still alive the Bagwan? Cool
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:31 am
ah Jim Jones resurrected, electric koolaid anyone?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:40 am
dyslexia wrote:
ah Jim Jones resurrected, electric koolaid anyone?

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh - found him! new rebaked name is now OSHO

In 1981 he left India reluctantly because of health problems. He went to the United States in order to obtain advanced treatment. There have been rumors of income tax evasion, and insurance fraud; it is not known whether these have any validity. The group settled on the 65,000 acre "Big Muddy Ranch" near Antelope, Oregon, which his sannyasins had bought for six million dollars. The ranch was renamed Rajneeshpuram ("Essence of Rajneesh"). This "small, desolate valley twelve miles from Antelope, Oregon was transformed into a thriving town of 3,000 residents, with a 4,500 foot paved airstrip, a 44 acre reservoir, an 88,000 square foot meeting hall..."
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:50 am
It is interesting that there is no outrage here that a U.S. Senator seems to be pushing a religious belief. Would there be no exression of indignant offense if the Senator was Republican? Smile Ah well, in answer to queries, as a brief explanation of what the Church of Scientology is all about:

From website: http://www.acceptedscientology.org/page05.htm

We of the Church believe:
That all men of whatever race, color or creed were created with equal rights;

That all men have inalienable rights to their own religious practices and their performance;

That all men have inalienable rights to their own lives;

That all men have inalienable rights to their sanity;

That all men have inalienable rights to their own defense;

That all men have inalienable rights to conceive, choose, assist or support their own organizations, churches and governments;

That all men have inalienable rights to think freely, to talk freely, to write freely their own opinions and to counter or utter or write upon the opinions of others;

That all men have inalienable rights to the creation of their own kind;

That the souls of men have the rights of men;

That the study of the mind and the healing of mentally caused ills should not be alienated from religion or condoned in non-religious fields;

And that no agency less than God has the power to suspend or set aside these rights, overtly or covertly.

And we of the Church believe:

That man is basically good;

That he is seeking to survive;

That his survival depends upon himself and upon his fellows and his attainment of brotherhood with the universe.

And we of the Church believe that the laws of God forbid Man:

To destroy his own kind;

To destroy the sanity of another;

To destroy or enslave another's soul;

To destroy or reduce the survival of one's companions or one's group.

And we of the Church believe that the spirit can be saved and that the spirit alone may save or heal the body.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:12 pm
Quote:
The only known successful use of biological weapons in the United States was by the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh cult in 1984. The group contaminated salad bars in 10 restaurants in The Dalles, Ore., with Salmonella Typhimurium, causing several hundred people to become ill.

I was visiting my mother in Oregon once and saw a bumper sticker that said "Ma Anand Prem is a liar." For some reason that name stuck with me over the years.
0 Replies