What does " targeted decolonization" mean?

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 09:05 am

Esp. what is decolonization?

Context:
BackgroundBoth targeted decolonization and universal decolonization of patients in intensive care units (ICUs) are candidate strategies to prevent health care–associated infections, particularly those caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).

MethodsWe conducted a pragmatic, cluster-randomized trial. Hospitals were randomly assigned to one of three strategies, with all adult ICUs in a given hospital assigned to the same strategy. Group 1 implemented MRSA screening and isolation; group 2, targeted decolonization (i.e., screening, isolation, and decolonization of MRSA carriers); and group 3, universal decolonization (i.e., no screening, and decolonization of all patients). Proportional-hazards models were used to assess differences in infection reductions across the study groups, with clustering according to hospital.

More:
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1207290?query=featured_home
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,598 • Replies: 12
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 09:28 am
@oristarA,
I would read it to mean "ethnic cleansing" but we know its a medical procedure. SO, perhaps , instead of colonomectomy or "colon section" this is a new term fro sectional removal of a segment or segments of the colon.
farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 09:33 am
@farmerman,
OY was I wrong. Dexolonization is a process (in this case) to remove as much of the colonies of MRSA from the body before a stay at the hospital
oristarA

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 10:32 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

OY was I wrong. Dexolonization is a process (in this case) to remove as much of the colonies of MRSA from the body before a stay at the hospital

That's it. Thank you Farmerman.

BTW, What does "with clustering according to hospital“ mean?

oristarA

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 10:55 pm
@oristarA,
What does "universal decolonization " exactly mean?

PS.
Have I grown a tail who likes to wield its hairy thing to vote my thread down?
Well, to the guy who does this: If you don't have the ability to answer my question, keep silence.
farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 05:12 am
@oristarA,
I have no idea what "with clustering means" exactly. Its probably an acute medicine term used in virology.

PS-don't worry about people thumbing down posts. They are little children who are afraid to make their positions known.

Quote:

PS, the wording in your statement is a bit awkward. You should say "HAve I become a beast that likes to swing its hairy tail about? What possible reason would you vote such a question down?
Your post gave a tail a mind of its own when it is but an appendage, and your connection to the act of voting your post down v the "hairy tail" was unclear.
timur

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 05:34 am
@oristarA,
I believe the method of assembling the survey's results was different from an hospital to another (according to hospital).

Clustering
oristarA

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 08:21 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:

PS, the wording in your statement is a bit awkward. You should say "HAve I become a beast that likes to swing its hairy tail about? What possible reason would you vote such a question down?
Your post gave a tail a mind of its own when it is but an appendage, and your connection to the act of voting your post down v the "hairy tail" was unclear.

Ah? "Becoming a beast" sounds self-insulting to me. But I am not sure how it rings in a native English ear.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 08:22 am
@timur,
timur wrote:

I believe the method of assembling the survey's results was different from an hospital to another (according to hospital).

Clustering

Thanks.

"With clustering" means "based on clustering"?
timur

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 11:07 am
@oristarA,
I don't think so.

Proportional-hazard models were used.. and the clustering made hospital by hospital.
oristarA

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 11:10 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

I don't think so.

Proportional-hazard models were used.. and the clustering made hospital by hospital.

Thanks.

Who would like to answer this question?

What does "universal decolonization " exactly mean here?

timur
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 05:37 am
@oristarA,
Universal decolonization, in this context, means:

Quote:
Washing every patient in intensive care units (ICUs) daily with chlorhexidine-impregnated cloths.

to get rid of bacterial colonies on patients.

More about these studies..
oristarA

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 09:46 am
@timur,
Excellent!
0 Replies