ITS LUNCHTIME SO IM SCREWIN OFF ON A2K

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 03:59 am
@roger,
I like olive oil and I like butter (no salt butter). I cant wrap my head around why I would mix the two in order to form a spread that doesn't particularly make me drool. I guess I could see mixing butter and OO to fry in.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 07:06 am
@edgarblythe,
I use whatever butter is less expensive (if my store had irish butter I'd spring for that), and use it freely once in a while, once every week or two. My primary fat for eating/cooking is olive oil, and once in a while some canola.
I'm chary of margarine after all the tempest about transfats, but some margerines are better formulated than others. In itself, formulation is something of a downer for me, the whole thing of constructing fats. Plus, I remember the white oleomargarine of the 40's with the wee packets of orangey color additive.

Oh, my cholesterol fats have been topsy turvy: the good one, HDL is sturdily strong, and the LDL, the baddy, quite low. That may not be due all to my choices in cooking fat, since I eat an increasing amount of oily fish, said to be good for us.

On the other hand, since I'm a hedonist, I go ahead and have red meat sometimes,
including bacon, saving the fat in the fridge (albeit a long time sitting in the back of the fridge since I don't use it much) and making lard from pork fat in the slow cooker. I've read that red meat fat has less hydrogenated molecules than does butter.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 07:09 am
@farmerman,
I mix the two once in a while, mostly when for some reason I want some butter flavor for taste but don't want to use great globs of it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 08:45 am
Cooking I am most likely to use coconut oil, but since it tends to soak into the food I add butter to keep things from sticking. I use some olive oil, but not so much as in times past. I totally quit using margarine nearly forty years ago.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 09:55 am
Does anyone know how long it takes to digest one cup of coffee?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 01:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's funny, I am allowed a cup of coffee at least an hour before I begin the health regimen I am on, each day. But it's not for the caffeine, but the antioxidants, as these cancel out the action of the stuff I use.
0 Replies