Can we shorten "a Chinese person" as "a Chinese"?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 08:14 am
@Ragman,
What if he 'd been born in Peru ?
beefleef

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 09:31 am
A better way would have been to write: "I send you herewith a deposit check for $12,000 as a contribution to the fund for Chinese Learning in your university." This letter, signed by "Dean Lung, a person of Chinese descent", was written to Columbia President Seth Low by the valet of University Trustee General Horace Walpole Carpentier in 1901...."

Moreover, the use of "...Dean Lung, a Chinese person..." brings down the quality of the letter, in my opinion.

As an aside:
In the United States, if someone used the word "Chinaman," they'd appear both ignorant and out of touch with society, as it's considered an antiquated and an offensive term used in the 1800s. Using "A Chinese" would connote a similar disrespect as it is rarely used to refer to a person but as a qualifier for objects.

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/216437-1

Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 09:46 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That's absurd. If he was from Peru, then the sentence would reflect he was from Peru. However, his residence is not an issue that has been raised or addressed.
Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 09:48 am
@Lordyaswas,
That's silly. Chinese national is a phrase that is adequate and commonly used (on this side of the pond). I may be wrong but what appears to be addressed here is Mr. Lung's Chinese nationality.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 09:51 am
@beefleef,
Quote:
In the United States, if someone used the word "Chinaman," they'd appear both ignorant and out of touch with society, as it's considered an antiquated and an offensive term used in the 1800s. Using "A Chinese" would connote a similar disrespect as it is rarely used to refer to a person but as a qualifier for objects

it brings back memories of:

a heeb
a spic
a coon
a wop
a pollock
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 10:36 am
@WBYeats,
No, saying 'a Chinese person' is in no way common in American English. This a very special useage. It sounds like a formal document in which a specific person must be identified precisely. Let me make up a couple of similar uses.

Mary, an emancipated person, decided to leave her parents home. In this, it clearly states that Mary has a legal right to leave home.

Ivan, a freedom loving Russian, emigrated to The United States. It specifies exactly what separates him from other Russians. There are other ways of conveying the same thing, of course, but this was written in 1901. I apologize for not being able to make this clear.

oristarA wrote:

Context:
Department History
"I send you herewith a deposit check for $12,000 as a contribution to the fund for Chinese Learning in your university." This letter, signed by "Dean Lung, a Chinese person", was written to Columbia President Seth Low by the valet of University Trustee General Horace Walpole Carpentier in 1901.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:09 pm
@beefleef,
beefleef wrote:

A better way would have been to write: "I send you herewith a deposit check for $12,000 as a contribution to the fund for Chinese Learning in your university." This letter, signed by "Dean Lung, a person of Chinese descent", was written to Columbia President Seth Low by the valet of University Trustee General Horace Walpole Carpentier in 1901...."

Moreover, the use of "...Dean Lung, a Chinese person..." brings down the quality of the letter, in my opinion.

As an aside:
In the United States, if someone used the word "Chinaman," they'd appear both ignorant and out of touch with society, as it's considered an antiquated and an offensive term used in the 1800s. Using "A Chinese" would connote a similar disrespect as it is rarely used to refer to a person but as a qualifier for objects.

Excellent!
Thank you!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 10:37 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
That's absurd. If he was from Peru, then the sentence would reflect he was from Peru.
However, his residence is not an issue that has been raised or addressed.
I was pointing out a flaw in your reasoning
qua nationality: "Chinese national".
0 Replies