Grammar of

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 06:31 am
Dear English teachers,
Is it grammatical correct to say that I took a half hour of siesta? Thanks a lot in advance.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 701 • Replies: 9
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 06:33 am
@Loh Jane,
Personally, I would say that " I had a half hour siesta".

Took is OK though.
Loh Jane

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 07:00 am
@Lordyaswas,
Hi Lordyaswas,
I appreciate your guidance but I still wish to make certain if I can say I took a half hour of a siesta.

Lordyaswas
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 07:10 am
@Loh Jane,
You can say took, but there is no need to use "of a". Nobody I know ever says or writes it this way.

"A half hour siesta" is perfectly acceptable.

I took a half hour siesta.
I had a half hour siesta.

Although, if it is for only half an hour, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a siesta. More like a catnap, really.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 11:54 am
You can definitely say "I took a half hour of siesta".

He then had half an hour of recreation - spent strolling about the hermitage - and an hour of siesta.

One sleepy beach town; a litre of yerba mate; two nectarines; one hour of siesta, preferably in a hammock; thirty pushups

And westward and southward under that same sun Papeete would be drowsing away its hour of siesta. There would be shutters over the windows of the stores

A power nap of twenty minutes is much better than an hour of siesta

After lunch, students enjoy an hour of siesta, afternoon classes start at 2:00 pm, and the recreation time follows at 5:00 pm

We even gave them one hour of siesta after lunch, as their culture demands, but they ran away as soon as the first missiles fell

Today after my second hour of siesta I decided to do some shopping to fight off boredom and give myself a small treat

I have an hour of siesta every day. And then of course as a Buddhist monk, I usually skip dinner. I have a good breakfast consisting of fruits

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 03:12 pm
@contrex,
"You can definitely say "I took a half hour of siesta"."

Yes, but is it how you would normally say it? There are three or four ways I would say it, and none of them would include "of".

Including the "of" in everyday coversation would sound strange, imo.

McTag

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 03:39 pm
@Lordyaswas,

Quote:
strange, imo.

Yeah.

But you could say "I took a half hour of siesta, then half an hour on the rowing machine."
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 03:46 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
Yes, but is it how you would normally say it? There are three or four ways I would say it, and none of them would include "of".

Including the "of" in everyday coversation would sound strange, imo.

I might well say it that way, depending on the situation. I would definitely not rule it out altogether. There are plenty of ways of talking about siesta - as the name for a short sleep, where we would use an indefinite article e.g. I have a siesta between 3 and 4 PM; as a commodity that you can have a quantity of - I had forty minutes of siesta. I gave plenty of examples above.

Lordyaswas, beware of confusing "it sounds strange to me" with "this is wrong". I guess this might be wasted advice, but others might see the appropriateness of it.

McTag

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 03:57 pm
@contrex,

Quote:
beware of confusing "it sounds strange to me" with "this is wrong"

Indeed, sir, that is my guiding principle.

Wink
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 04:51 pm
@Loh Jane,
Is it grammatically correct ...

Is it grammatical correct ...

I took a half hour of siesta

This isn't really a grammatical issue, Jane.

As it is okay to say,

I took/had a half hour of sleep,

so too it would be okay to say the above. But, I have to say that I have never heard either, using 'sleep' or 'siesta' IN THE SITUATION I think you are describing, which SOUNDS LIKE a speech item.

I had/took a half hour sleep/siesta.

0 Replies