Can you do, what I can do? Comma optional

McTag

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 03:46 pm
@JTT,
JTT, if by continually re-posting this stuff you are holding yourself and your opinion to be an exemplar (indeed, the only one?) of intellectual rigour represented here then I suggest you consider the possibility that you are wide of that particular mark.

Returning to the subject, there is no pause implied here, therefore no comma would be necessary.
JTT

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 05:17 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
JTT, if by continually re-posting this stuff you are holding yourself and your opinion to be an exemplar

What "stuff" are you referring to? The "stuff" that points up your dual standards. McTag's opinion, backed by nothing but McTag's opinion repeated, simply doesn't square with "intellectual rigor".

Quote:
Returning to the subject, there is no pause implied here, therefore no comma would be necessary.

It isn't whether a pause is implied here; I'm not at all sure how you think you can make that decision, unless maybe it would be like the rest of your recent decisions - simply repeating your opinion.

The issue is, are there times when a pause could occur, which was after all, part of the question asked by the OP. To suggest that there could never be a situation where a pause can occur is yet another denial of reality that prescriptivists are famous for/you are becoming famous for.

McTag

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 02:40 am
@JTT,

Quote:
The issue is, are there times when a pause could occur, which was after all, part of the question asked by the OP. To suggest that there could never be a situation where a pause can occur is yet another denial of reality that prescriptivists are famous for/you are becoming famous for.

More silly nitpicking petty shite.

1. There is a comma missing from the first sentence.

2. What are we considering here, a script for a play? There is no logical case for a pause in the OP's example (imho) and so (again in my opinion) a comma is unnecessary; and looks so awkward to me that I consider inserting one to be a mistake.
JTT

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 10:38 am
@McTag,
Quote:
2. What are we considering here, a script for a play?

Okay.

Quote:
There is no logical case for a pause in the OP's example (imho) and so (again in my opinion) a comma is unnecessary; and looks so awkward to me that I consider inserting one to be a mistake.

You have just proved yourself wrong, above, McTag. A script for a play is one fine example, a teacher who pauses to get the students attention, to get them excited and focused is another.

What is this penchant you have for denying reality in favor of an ill considered opinion?

Now don't get your panties in a bunch over that last sentence. It's true! You provided an example YOURSELF which shows that there are potential situations in life where a pause of differing lengths can happen - that anyone can deny this REALITY is absolutely unbelievable!

McTag

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 02:33 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
there are potential situations in life where a pause of differing lengths can happen

That's right, but that's not the case here. It's a straightforward grammar/ punctuation question.
JTT

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 04:29 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
there are potential situations in life where a pause of differing lengths can happen

Quote:
That's right, but that's not the case here. It's a straightforward grammar/ punctuation question.

Again, denying reality, McTag. You do know that that is a hallmark of prescriptivism.

That is the case here because that's what the OP asked about. Do you deny that reality?

Here's another reality that you ignored.

You have just proved yourself wrong, above, McTag. A script for a play is one fine example, a teacher who pauses to get the students attention, to get them excited and focused is another.

You failed to answer this question.

What is this penchant you have for denying reality in favor of an ill considered opinion?
McTag

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:28 am
@JTT,

Quote:
Here's another reality that you ignored.

Not so. I just called it crap. You have a gift for over-complicating a simple issue.
Mame

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 08:09 am
@McTag,
He sure does, plus he's a f**ing asshole. His manner is supercilious and condescending to the extreme. Every statement he makes sounds like he believes he is the final arbiter of any-and everything grammatical, when he's most definitely not. There's absolutely no need for most of his snotty attitude.
JTT

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 11:02 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Not so. I just called it crap. You have a gift for over-complicating a simple issue.

Here we go again, McTag. You're up a stump so you go to one of your old reliables. Language is complicated and you don't help at all trying to bring it down to the simplistic level needed so you [and Mame] can participate.

Instead of addressing the numerous realities, some of which you have pointed up, you take a direction that isn't anywhere close to intellectual rigor. Go back and check, nothing, nothing at all but McTag's opinion, much of it refuting McTag's opinions.
JTT

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 11:07 am
@Mame,
Here's a plan, Mamie. Channel your papa, the one who helped you become the fount of wisdom on language that you are, and he can settle it.

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 02:18 am
@JTT,

New readers start here: this is a thread about one misplaced comma.
JTT

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 12:10 pm
@McTag,
Actually, McTag, this is another dandy thread about you, and some others, never addressing the actual issues.

When can we expect to see something other than your opinions that are then contradicted by what you yourself write?

Is this your idea of intellectual rigor?
McTag

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 12:42 am
@JTT,
You are fond of posing questions and demanding answers. Here are some for you: are there any threads which have been improved by your presence in them? Is there anyone you haven't attempted to patronise and insult? Why do you think you can talk down to people? Do you realise your posts are almost always about bigging yourself up, and not about helping any questioner? Who the hell do you think you are?
JTT

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 10:25 am
@McTag,
And you are fond of avoiding the very issues that you raise. You haven't answered any of the questions regarding the language issue.

If you have any questions regarding this language issue, McTag, I'll be more than happy to answer them.
0 Replies