Man calls police to complain about prostitute's looks

contrex

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 02:03 pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-22887138

(999 is one of the UK's emergency numbers; there is an alternative, 112)

A man has been warned after he dialled 999 to complain about a prostitute's looks after meeting her. West Midlands Police said they were contacted by the caller who said he "wished to report her for breaching the Sale of Goods Act". The force said the call was received at about 19:30 BST on Tuesday complaining that the woman was not as attractive as she had claimed.

Officers have now sent the man a letter warning him about wasting police time. West Midlands Police said the man had claimed he met the woman in a hotel car park. "The caller claimed that the woman had made out she was better looking than she actually was and he wished to report her for breaching the Sale of Goods Act," a spokesperson for the force said. "When he raised this issue with the woman concerned, she allegedly took his car keys, ran away from the car and threw them back at him, prompting him to call police."

During the call, the man can be heard to say: "I've arranged a meeting with her, but beforehand I've asked her for an honest description, otherwise when I get there I'm not going to use her services. Basically she has misdescribed herself, misrepresented herself totally. She was angry because she obviously thinks I owe her a living or something."

Sgt Jerome Moran, based at Solihull police station, called the man back to offer some advice. He said: "It was unbelievable - he genuinely believed he had done nothing wrong and that the woman should have been investigated by police for misrepresentation. I told him that she'd not committed any offences and that it was his actions, in soliciting for sex, that were in fact illegal."

Despite the man refusing to give his details, police were able to identify him and have sent him a letter warning him about his actions.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 gives consumers legal rights, stipulating goods which are sold must be of satisfactory quality, be fit for purpose and must match the seller's description.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 771 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 03:16 pm
@contrex,

contrex wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-22887138
Despite the man refusing to give his details, police were able to identify him and have sent him a letter warning him about his actions.

You gotta wonder about the value of reporting a potential crime without giving the basic details - like a name.

Still, way back when I worked in a motel, a guest (in the broadest definition) called the police to report that he couldn't get enough channels on the television. I kid you not, they sent out a cop who showed him how to work the television.

They were probably having a slow night.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 03:51 pm
The British press regularly has stories about people calling the emergency services for stupid reasons, e.g.

Police:
Man called because he had been splashed by a car driving through a puddle
Man called because of too many onions in his takeout food
Woman called because her new rabbit did not have the floppy ears promised in a newspaper advertisement
Man called because of large owl perched on telephone pole
Woman called because of spider in bath
Man called because his wife had gone out and left him with nothing to eat
Man called because he had dropped his TV remote down the back of the sofa (when they refused he called the fire brigade)

0 Replies