How much of emotional influence do accents have on people's perception of one another?

Foofie

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 05:26 pm
But I do believe the BBC news presenter, Katy Kay, is highly intelligent, and that is not just based on hearing her British accent.
firefly

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 09:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the GEICO gecko has an english accent for no known reason for a reason

I always thought the GEICO gecko had an Aussie accent. Laughing
Manke Nelis

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 11:13 pm
You do provide some clearifying insights. I am thankful to be amung thinkers like y'all...

In the Netherlands we also have accents that come with the stereotypes. Actors often use them to fuel the comedy in their characters. Here by making use of the preconceptions sticking to the accents. Striking to me is, that a lot of these accents are associated with ignorance and 'bluntness' in a theatrical view. Allthough most people tend to look beyond this in real life, a chuckle of comedy is not uncommon as an initial response. I suppose people just can't help themself.
We also have a generally accepted, offical 'usage' of Dutch, wich we call 'Algemeen Beschaafd Nederlands' (Translation: Generally Civilized Dutch). Most people are bi-accentual (probably not a word) because, well, if you want to be taken serious and make a good impression at let's say a job interview, this 'ABN' is the way to go. Sad but true. We have got óne quite severely different accent, even language, wich is 'Fries'. This is now a dying language because of the age of centralizing communication we are now living in.
Wich brings me to my next question wich is similar to the topic title but very different (...):
Does a language influence the culture of a country or people in a structural way. Like, solely looking at the language of a people. How much do you guys think a language has impact on the 'thinking' and culture of a people. Is there a language wich may be the best for making progress? Maybe even a language with a more fascist tendency? I suppose this would be a rather controversial viewing point.
Just to plant this questionary seed deeper into your minds a hypothesis:
Identical twins living under the same conditions, in the same culture and every other aspect except for the language (One spanish, one english f.e.) would (because of the language) think in a considerably different way.

Hope you guys can distil a provocation out of this.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 01:45 am
@Manke Nelis,
Manke Nelis wrote:
. We have got óne quite severely different accent, even language, wich is 'Fries'.

Which reminds me of an old nursery rhyme.

Quote:
Good butter and good cheese, is Good English and Good Fries

roger

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 02:11 am
@izzythepush,
And

Bad English is regretable
Bad Scotch in unforgiveable
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 03:26 am
@izzythepush,
Frisian by the way, is spoken in Germany as well.
"Saterland Frisian" (Sater Frisian or Saterlandic, Seeltersk) as even more different (Frisian and Saterlandic are both recognised minority languages ... and official languages in those parts of Germany.

Example from wikipedia
Quote:

Saterland Frisian: Die Wänt strookede dät Wucht uum ju Keeuwe un oapede hier ap do Sooken.
North Frisian (Mooring dialect): Di dreng aide dåt foomen am dåt kan än mäket har aw da siike.
West Frisian: De jonge streake it famke om it kin en tute har op 'e wangen.
East Frisian Low Saxon: De Jung straktde dat Wicht üm't Kinn to un tuutjede hör up de Wangen.
German: Der Junge streichelte das Mädchen ums Kinn und küsste sie auf die Wangen.
Dutch: De jongen aaide/streelde het meisje over haar kin en kuste haar op haar wangen.
Afrikaans: Die seun streel die meisie oor haar ken en soen haar op haar wange.
English: The boy stroked the girl on the chin and kissed her on the cheeks.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 03:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Saterfrisian, to give some more information not related to the actual topic, has been taught academically by an American, professor Marron Curtis Fort, PhD (educated at Princetown and Pennsylvania university, taught at New Hampshire university and in Germany at Oldenburg university).

He got entries in wikipedia in Esperanto, German and nearly all German minority languages.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 04:06 am
@Foofie,
Well she did go to Oxford. She's not on our screens much, more for an American audience.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 04:50 am
@izzythepush,
That's why BBC World News (not BBC America) has Zeinab Badawi as 'lead anchor' Wink
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 05:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,
She's very good, I remember her from Channel 4.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 06:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
One of my favourite comics back in the 1970's was from Ost Friesland. Now I'm going to have to look for him tonight and see if there are any youtube clips.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 09:55 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Well she did go to Oxford. She's not on our screens much, more for an American audience.

Your loss is our gain.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 11:28 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

I always thought the GEICO gecko had an Aussie accent. Laughing

No way. Apparently Brits with similar accents are always getting asked if they are Australians when they go on vacation to Florida.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 02:02 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
There was an expert being interviewed on the topic of the animals being discussed (i don't recall what animals specifically) when my friend casually stated that although he knew this man to be intelligent and well-educated, he couldn't overcome his natural prejudice that anyone who talked like that was an ignorant redneck (the man had a very thick coastal Carolina accent).

You are absolutely correct Set, and this seems prevalent in the Midwest. I grew up in Ohio and have been living in South Carolina for 25 years. Prejudice against the southern accent is still widespread. I will admit that it took me some time to get over it myself. I still recognize my feelings when I hear someone from Kentucky speak. I have come to the conclusion that many (all?) of the initial thoughts or judgments we form about people upon first seeing or hearing them are incorrect.

Perhaps it is akin to our fight or flight response necessary to survive?

If survival is the result of a quick decision, perhaps we don't always have time for a considered response. Is the accent indicative that the other party is not part of our own tribe ?

I mean no justification by this, just trying to understand the mechanism.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 02:10 pm
@IRFRANK,
...if you are looking for a mechanism think about a group thrust "gene" being ingrained in our heritage or something of the sort...the specific parameters are irrelevant is just a symptom of awareness of strangers.
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 02:24 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
...if you are looking for a mechanism think about a group thrust "gene" being ingrained in our heritage or something of the sort...the specific parameters are irrelevant is just a symptom of awareness of strangers.

Awareness? I would agree, the observations are valid, this person sounds different, but the question is the response. What do we 'do' about those differences ? Fight, Flight, or acceptance?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 02:37 pm
@IRFRANK,
We can do all the three depending on the situation being advantageous or disadvantageous, we manage it...but by default strangers are often danger...
I don't think there is any mechanism of fight or flight at play here as means of explanation...we just like to have prediction and control at work without disruptions, be it things or people, the motive is the same. If you want to go way back up to physics think of inertia having no cost while a change in direction will require some trust...Wink
Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 02:46 pm
This is the first time i've ever heard that Frisian catch-phrase described as a nursery rhyme. I looked around online to see what i could find, and came up with this, which is what i remember reading in college more than 40 years ago. My memory is not good enough to have supplied from my own resources.

bûter, brea, en griene tsiis, wa’t dat net sizze kin is gjin oprjochte Fries.

"Butter, bread and green cheese, who cannot say that is no upright Fries."
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 03:10 pm
@Setanta,
Frisia est omnis divisa in partes tres...

http://i40.tinypic.com/30naom9.jpg
Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 03:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Y0u've got a Gaul to say that . . .