Shooting Rampage at Santa Monica College, Wheels up NRA

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 06:06 pm
June 7, 2013 approx 3 hours earlier (8pm EST) One, possibly 2 shooters killed 6 and wounded additional students, as well as residents in surrounding houses. News unfolding as I type. Too early to report accurately.

Ceili

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 06:08 pm
@glitterbag,
Another one??
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 06:10 pm
@glitterbag,
That's where I took trig and california government one summer a long time ago, and where my niece went.

That is a college I want to do well.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 06:20 pm
@Ceili,
Yes, just turned on the TV and there it is. I don't know how much longer my fellow citizens can claim the second amendment was intended for this purpose.

I don't believe guns should be forbidden, but I'm dreading the NRA's apologist slogans and hysteria regarding the constitution. I own a rifle, belonged to my fater-in-law (actually gift to mr. Glitterbag). The worst part is knowing that nothing will be done except more crazy suggestions like armed guards in schools.
mysteryman

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 06:35 pm
Yes, its a tragedy.
My question is, with California having some of the toughest gun laws in the country, how could this happen?
I thought tougher gun laws were supposed to prevent t this.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 06:41 pm
@ossobuco,
I obviously don't know what is going on.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 06:41 pm
@mysteryman,
I'm taking a wild ass guess they were either purchased illegally, or smuggled in. California also has laws against murder, and yet here we go again.
mysteryman

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 06:50 pm
@glitterbag,
Assuming you are correct about how he got the guns, how would passing tougher gun laws, or more gun laws, have prevented this?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 07:03 pm
@mysteryman,
First of all, I don't know how these criminals got the military style weapons. I knew it would only take a nanosecond for the folks fearing the government confiscation would weigh in with puffed up challenges about "why do you suppose gun laws aren't effective". This obvious provocation is not what I want to hear from you. Why don't you propose a way to keep our children and college students safe in classrooms? Let me guess, you want everybody to carry, right?
mysteryman

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 07:40 pm
@glitterbag,
I don't fear govt confiscation of guns at all, I know it isn't going to happen.
The question about "why aren't gun laws effective" is not a provocation, its a legitimate question.

My personal opinion is that they aren't effective because there is no serious enforcement of them.
The laws are poorly enforced, with a "hit and miss" attitude about serious enforcement of them.

No, I don't want everyone to carry a weapon.
I know that there are to many people out there that have no business being anywhere near a firearm, especially a loaded one.
I have never advocated for everyone to be allow to carry, nor have I ever advocated against background checks or a waiting period.

How to keep our kids safe in classrooms is a question I don't have an easy answer to, and I'm not sure there is an easy answer.
I remember in high school almost everyone had a gun rack in the window of their pickup trucks, and there was a shotgun or a rifle on every rack.
We didn't worry about getting shot, we didn't worry about people going crazy, and we were safe in our schools.
I don't know when that changed, or what caused that change, but figuring that out will go along way to improving safety in the schools.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 07:49 pm
Latest reports say the gunman was shot and killed by police at the scene.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 08:20 pm
@mysteryman,
I'm still waiting for the entire story to roll out. I'm not sure I'm ready to start pondering what's wrong with law enforcement, or people or anything. Where I grew up, the only people with pick-up trucks were farmers or mechanics. We did have an active hunting community but hunting equipment was only on board during hunting season. The part of Maryland I knew as a youngster, was mostly farms, horse farms and tobacco growers with the big drying barns. But this part of the country also is close to the Cheaseapeake and numerous rivers so fishing, crabbing and harvesting oysters was a part of the economy. Furthermore, we lived 15 minutes from a major airport, 25 minutes from Baltimore (big port and loads of factories), so most folks didn't need a rifle or shotgun in a rack behind them. There are other parts of the state where that would make more sense, closer to mountainous regions, heavily wooded areas
and other places. Bears, mountain lions, coyote could be a problem.....not really the bears so much 40-50 years ago.

Now this County is so congested, the only people usually legally carrying are Secret Service, FBI, police officers and a truck load of folks with concealed carry permits like jewelers, insurance agents, folks who carry cash because of their businesses, some folks with protective orders and lots I probably can't think of.
These folks don't do drive-bys, it's rival neighborhood gangs, and yes we have bloods, MI something or other, I'm not savvy to all the gang affiliations. About 4 years ago, a fight broke out in the Annapolis Mall between two rival neighborhood jerks. A 30 something man jumped in to break it up, and a 17 year old pulled a gun and shot the adult in the leg. The man happened to be a Secret Service agent who drew his weapon and shot the 17 year old 4 times.
There have been no other shooting incidents at the Mall.

I wouldn't live in the wilds of North Dakota without guns, but don't need them so much around here. Besides, I wouldn't get very far into downtown Annapolis with a rifle slung over my shoulder.

So reality differs for residents according to the region they live in, but crazy people get guns and then we are all up the creek.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 08:22 pm
@glitterbag,
And when I was in high school the senior class numbered 800, but very few kids had cars let alone pick up trucks.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 12:45 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
I don't know how much longer my fellow citizens can claim the second amendment was intended for this purpose.

We can keep telling the truth about the Constitution until the end of time.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 12:45 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
First of all, I don't know how these criminals got the military style weapons.

Do you have any evidence that military weapons were used?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 12:48 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Furthermore, we lived 15 minutes from a major airport, 25 minutes from Baltimore (big port and loads of factories), so most folks didn't need a rifle or shotgun in a rack behind them. There are other parts of the state where that would make more sense, closer to mountainous regions, heavily wooded areas and other places. Bears, mountain lions, coyote could be a problem.....not really the bears so much 40-50 years ago.

People have the right to be armed in defense against other humans in addition to wild animals.

glitterbag wrote:
Now this County is so congested, the only people usually legally carrying are Secret Service, FBI, police officers and a truck load of folks with concealed carry permits like jewelers, insurance agents, folks who carry cash because of their businesses, some folks with protective orders and lots I probably can't think of.

That'll soon be changing. Americans have the right to carry guns when they go about in public, and the Supreme Court will soon be enforcing that right.

glitterbag wrote:
I wouldn't live in the wilds of North Dakota without guns, but don't need them so much around here.

What's this "need" nonsense? We're talking about a RIGHT here.

glitterbag wrote:
Besides, I wouldn't get very far into downtown Annapolis with a rifle slung over my shoulder.

The Supreme Court will fix that soon enough.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 02:15 pm
@oralloy,
Daydream much, oralloy?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 02:42 pm
I'm just catching up on all this - yikes. Bad day at the library..

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57588276/santa-monica-shootings-leave-multiple-victims-gunman-killed/

This one hits home. A lot of friends of mine still live nearby the college.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 03:43 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Daydream much, oralloy?

Not sure. I've never really thought about it. Perhaps some.

But the fact that I do not share in your denial of reality does not mean that I am daydreaming.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 04:22 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:
Daydream much, oralloy?

Not sure. I've never really thought about it. Perhaps some.

But the fact that I do not share in your denial of reality does not mean that I am daydreaming.

I can just imagine the SCOTUS ruling in the near future that it's legal to walk across, say, Times Square, with an AR-1 slung over my shoulder and a .44 magnum in my belt. Sure.

See, I have a good and vivid imagination, too.