muckraker: a word neutral or slightly negative?

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 05:27 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
It took on a pejorative sense when it was tied in with yellow journalism, what with its sensationalism and scandal-mongering back in the early 20th century in the US.

McTag wrote:

Muckraking is the opposite, looking for trouble, making trouble, obsessive fault-finding, unnecessary and unjustified criticism, etc. I've only seen it used in a pejorative way.

Both gentlemen's views cannot be compatible here. Rolling Eyes

of course they can be compatible - one is a modern view, one is an older view.

once upon a time, muckraking was considered neutral or slightly positive.

Sometime after the early 20th century, it started to be seen as a negative description (see max's reference to 1906). I think some much more recent users have tried to move it back to a neutral or positive meaning.

As you can see from this thread, not everyone is in agreement that it has returned to its original neutral/positive meaning.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 05:28 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Muckrakers were investigative journalists or writers who exposed the corruption or evils of society in the Progressive era

Notable muckrakers include Jacob Riis, Upton Sinclair, Ida Tarbell, and Helen Hunt Jackson.

Quote:
Muckraking literature sprung up with Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, which exposed the meatpacking industry. This lead to the Pure Food and Drug Act in 1906.

Ida Tarbell
A leading muckraker best known for her 1904 book exposing the corrupt practices of John D. Rockefeller's Standard Oil.

There are hundreds of sites that have a positive view of the muckrakers (who, by the way referred to themselves as "muckrakers").

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 05:30 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Several of us have pointed out that we use it with a positive connotation.

several of you?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 05:55 pm
Perhaps, maybe it depends on which English speaking country you live in or which region of a country. I'm still puzzled at what time a muckraking reporter was considered an experienced fact checking journalist. Even during the William Randolph Hearst era, muckraking was a phrase he denied, despite his penchant for controlling what did and did not get reported. Rupert Murdoch was more feared than respected.

If you call someone a Yankee in Connecticut, it's all good. Not so much if you are visiting Mississippi, then it's time to make yourself scarce.
JTT

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 09:28 pm
@McTag,
The reason that McTag and Max seem so far apart is that McTag doesn't have a feel for the muckraker journalists that Max and Infra spoke of. Not surprising, McTag is from the UK and Max and Infra are from the US.

If someone knows a bit about US history, it's not at all surprising that they know of two quite different meanings - almost like 'moot' and 'moot'.

It surprises me, though not greatly, that Glitterbag doesn't know of the positive/good meaning of muckraker.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 12:01 am

Now should I toss a coin to decide Select Answer?
Max vs. McTag
laughoutlood

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 01:26 am
@oristarA,
Where are you? When will we meet?
Take my unfinished life and make it complete
Just like the muckraker knows
His dream will come true someday
I know that you are only a kiss away

Just a kiss away

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 02:00 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
Max vs. McTag

Let us know how the coin-toss went.

As somebody said earlier, the word muck gives a clue as to the (original) meaning. It means ****. A muckraker, around these parts* anyway, is a ****-stirrer. Someone who looks for trouble, and then publicises it.
I defer to others who have views to the contrary.

*Great Britain and Northern Ireland
oristarA

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 08:06 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:
Max vs. McTag

Let us know how the coin-toss went.

As somebody said earlier, the word muck gives a clue as to the (original) meaning. It means ****. A muckraker, around these parts* anyway, is a ****-stirrer. Someone who looks for trouble, and then publicises it.I defer to others who have views to the contrary.

*Great Britain and Northern Ireland

This argument is damned cool.

Now I'll use a 10-franc coin to toss it to ceiling and let it drop to floor...

Face for Max:
http://t3.baidu.com/it/u=801065354,751830894&fm=23&gp=0.jpg

Back for McTag:
http://t2.baidu.com/it/u=3060518330,71356898&fm=23&gp=0.jpg
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 08:13 am
First, I put the coin in one of my palms.
Second, close the other palm on it.
Third, both hands form a closed space and begin to shake the coin inside until I don't know whether it is on face or on back.
Now, toss it to ceiling.
Let God decides.
Please wait the result...
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 08:17 am

It's back!
McTag wins!
McTag

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 09:27 am
@oristarA,
Well hooray!

That's the first time I've ever won anything.

Smile
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 09:50 am
@oristarA,
Damn!

Foiled Again

(And Max turns, bows his head slightly and quietly walks away.)
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 11:18 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Even during the William Randolph Hearst era, muckraking was a phrase he denied, despite his penchant for controlling what did and did not get reported.

Hearst was more than likely the subject of much muckraking.
0 Replies