Yiddish or German Saying

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 08:14 pm

The egg came first.

David
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 12:13 pm
A friend, who speaks yiddish, says that a bargain is a "handlen," and a person who bargained is a "handler."

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 12:29 pm
@Advocate,
I don't know, if it is Yiddish. But I do know that it is pure German.
["Handeln" means 'to deal with', "to sell", "Händler" is a substantive and means ... well, 'merchant, retailer'.
It does mean bargaining, though as well - you only can get this sense from the complete sentence.]
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 01:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Foofie, in your understanding,
for the most part, do Jews consider themselves to be surrounded by ill will ?

David

Well, the Holocaust proved, in my opinion, that Jews in Europe were mostly considered "perennial outsiders that were dispensable."

Jews in America still make make many people uncomfortable in a social situation. But, America being so diverse, and Jews being here for a length of time that's considered long for this country, and they have tended to find a useful niche in society, many people might find them a useful addition to the fabric of society. That doesn't mean they meet a welcoming mat wherever they go. People like to be amongst their own oftentimes, and the popular culture is that "Jews are just different." I said popular culture, since those in the best colleges do meet a fair number of Jews, and find them interesting, if not down right nice to know.

If Jews (secular I mean) are different, it might just be that their cultural emphasis on education and goal direction puts them more often in the center of the bellcurve. Therefore, more of them being "average," they might be perceived as acting superior, since they then meet humanity on the left side of the bellcurve so often?

Foofie

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 01:28 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Really foofie? That's close to the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Well, in the non-Jewish world (aka, Gentile), in urban centers where there is/was a goodly number of Jewish owned retail establishments, it was always thought that a Jewish owned store might have a discount, while a Gentile owned store did not. The inference is that since Jews have historically been social pariahs, the incentive to interact with a Jewish merchant was not based on "rubbing elbows" with the upper class, but just getting "a bargain."

Not being Jewish yourself, you do not have to be aware of these nuances of social interaction, but "ridiculous" or not, I believe I am correct.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 01:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:

I would guess that the origin of the expression was to dissuade people from buying at a store that had discounts. Perhaps, its origins were not based on philo-Semitic feelings, since Jews were known to attract customers that are looking for a discount? Otherwise, many a customer would not go to a Jewish owned store.
So you are familiar with this saying?

Nyet.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 01:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

A guess about an expression with was either Yiddish or German. Okay. But a bit meschuggo (in German meschugge, in English Yiddish meshuggah) as well.

Today there are people calling for a boycott of all Israeli goods (aka, Jewish owned businesses), and the fact that a similar situation might have existed in Europe only within the past 70 years or so, adds emphasis to the climate that allowed the Holocaust to occur. Isn't it better to think that such thinking was just a bit crazy? So, in a few hundred years, will the real intent of the sign, "Arbeit Macht Frei" be understood correctly?
Foofie

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 01:44 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Phooey is yiddish? Live and learn..

The colloquial syntax is often from other languages. The humorous phrase, "I threw my mother from the train a kiss," may be from an eastern European language. I won't claim Yiddish. I often hear sentences with the wrong syntax for written English, since many people do not speak a correct English.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 01:50 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Today there are people calling for a boycott of all Israeli goods (aka, Jewish owned businesses), and the fact that a similar situation might have existed in Europe only within the past 70 years or so, adds emphasis to the climate that allowed the Holocaust to occur. Isn't it better to think that such thinking was just a bit crazy? So, in a few hundred years, will the real intent of the sign, "Arbeit Macht Frei" be understood correctly?
Well, this would imply that said saying is just about 70 years old.
Then it hardly would be Yiddish. But definitely, there's nothing similar to it in German. (All referring to the original poster's question.)
Foofie

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 01:51 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Yiddish incorporates many Eastern European and Russian word/phrases/dialects. It's main purpose was for Jews to be able to communicate where ever they were. It was particularly important because as far back as history can document, Jews have been forced off lands, denied citizenship, not allowed to own farming animals and the list goes on. Yiddish provides a method for Jews to communicate with each other. I'm not making a political statement, it's just what has happened and they have developed coping skills in order to survive.

You can look thru the Yiddish phrases and see many that are not originally coined by Jews, but are familiar to every culture. Too soon old, too late smart, I can't swear to it, but I think everybody has heard some version of this. What I'm trying to say, awkwardly, it that all cultures borrow from all other cultures. I have no idea if the chicken or egg came first, and I'm not interested in trying to argue either one. Language is fluid, and even English speakers don't agree on spelling of English words.

You can start with borrowing religion, and work your way up to language.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 01:54 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
The humorous phrase, "I threw my mother from the train a kiss," may be from an eastern European language. I won't claim Yiddish. I often hear sentences with the wrong syntax for written English, since many people do not speak a correct English.
Certainly German is an eastern language from your point of view.
Quote:
"Mama From the Train" — also known as Mama From the Train (A Kiss, A Kiss) — is a popular song. written by Irving Gordon and published in 1956. The song is about memories of a now-deceased mother, whose Pennsylvania Dutch-influenced English leads to quaint phrasings.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 01:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:
Well, this would imply that said saying is just about 70 years old.
Then it hardly would be Yiddish. But definitely, there's nothing similar to it in German. (All referring to the original poster's question.)

It was the sign over the entrance to Auschwitz, or one of the other concentration camps. The intent of the sign was to fool the new arrivals into thinking that by being good productive slave labor, they will earn their freedom. Not German per se, just the variant of German thinking during the Third Reich.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 02:01 pm
@Foofie,
Be assured that I know that.
And certainly I know as well that this term was used since about 1850 in various (French [ L’Europe en 1848 by Jean-Joseph Gaume] and) German publications.

But I can't get why this is related to said Yiddish or German proverb or saying.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 02:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The German colloquial term "Pleitegeier" is a transcript of פּלטהגײער‎ (pleytegeyer/ Plejte Gejer).
It's known since the 18th century. In German as well as in Yiddish it has the same meaning. And in both language not a certain religion or race is meant by it. (But - originally - the cuckoo of the bailiff.)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 02:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Be assured that I know that.
And certainly I know as well that this term was used since about 1850 in various (French [ L’Europe en 1848 by Jean-Joseph Gaume] and) German publications.

But I can't get why this is related to said Yiddish or German proverb or saying.

I might have a propensity to go off on tangential thinking.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 09:43 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Foofie, in your understanding,
for the most part, do Jews consider themselves to be surrounded by ill will ?

David

Well, the Holocaust proved, in my opinion, that Jews in Europe were mostly considered "perennial outsiders that were dispensable."

Jews in America still make make many people uncomfortable in a social situation. But, America being so diverse, and Jews being here for a length of time that's considered long for this country, and they have tended to find a useful niche in society, many people might find them a useful addition to the fabric of society. That doesn't mean they meet a welcoming mat wherever they go. People like to be amongst their own oftentimes, and the popular culture is that "Jews are just different." I said popular culture, since those in the best colleges do meet a fair number of Jews, and find them interesting, if not down right nice to know.

If Jews (secular I mean) are different, it might just be that their cultural emphasis on education and goal direction puts them more often in the center of the bellcurve. Therefore, more of them being "average," they might be perceived as acting superior, since they then meet humanity on the left side of the bellcurve so often?

Thank u, Foofie.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 10:13 pm
@Foofie,

glitterbag wrote:
Yiddish incorporates many Eastern European and Russian word/phrases/dialects. It's main purpose was for Jews to be able to communicate where ever they were. It was particularly important because as far back as history can document, Jews have been forced off lands, denied citizenship, not allowed to own farming animals and the list goes on. Yiddish provides a method for Jews to communicate with each other. I'm not making a political statement, it's just what has happened and they have developed coping skills in order to survive.

You can look thru the Yiddish phrases and see many that are not originally coined by Jews, but are familiar to every culture. Too soon old, too late smart, I can't swear to it, but I think everybody has heard some version of this. What I'm trying to say, awkwardly, it that all cultures borrow from all other cultures. I have no idea if the chicken or egg came first, and I'm not interested in trying to argue either one. Language is fluid, and even English speakers don't agree on spelling of English words.

Foofie wrote:
You can start with borrowing religion, and work your way up to language.
Do u feel that Christians
misappropriated your religion, Foofie ?
saab

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 02:49 am
The humorous phrase, "I threw my mother from the train a kiss," may be from an eastern European language.

The phraze is from Pennsylvania-German or Dutch. Pennsylvania Dutch refers to immigrants and their descendants from Alsace, southwestern Germany and Switzerland who settled in Pennsylvania in the 17th and 18th centuries. Historically they have spoken the dialect of German known as Pennsylvania Dutch or Pennsylvania German

The phrase has nothing to do with Eastern Europe nor with Yiddish.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 03:17 am
@saab,
That's what I wanted to say with my above post.
saab

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 03:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/26558/26558-h/images/illo-07.png
0 Replies