Yiddish or German Saying

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 01:25 pm
@glitterbag,
There's one German verb, bedient werden, which translates to "to get served" and the very similar bedient sein, which means something like "to be pretty much in the bag".

And then, verschnupft sein means "to have got a cold" - but it means as well "to react very annoyed/upset".

I could imagine that there's a phrase, perhaps in Yiddish, which combines those two verbs to a colloquial saying.
I couldn't find one, though, neither in German nor in Yiddish.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 01:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Oh pardon the hell out of me, we are talking about dialects/languages but by all means turn this into whatever you want it to be. However, if you were respectful of the author of this thread, you would go start your own thread on prejudice/ignorance/I'll mannered folks. You are not being helpful.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 01:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Is German a fonetic language, Walter?
Is it pronounced the way that it is spelled ?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 01:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Is German a fonetic language, Walter?
Is it pronounced the way that it is spelled ?
It is a very phonetic language. And it's (mostly) pronounced the way it is spelled ... but don't try to pronounce it in the way you speak English Wink
glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 01:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, every language is phonetic based on how native speakers learned the alphabet.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 02:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, I've been pouring over online Yiddish dictionaries and haven't found the exact phrase. I probably should hit the library, should be able to find it there. Hope the person who posed the question gets an answer. My grandmother was Irish and dispute never speaking in Gaelic, her turn of a phrase would immediately capture a situation.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 02:09 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Oh pardon the hell out of me, we are talking about dialects/languages
but by all means turn this into whatever you want it to be.

However, if you were respectful of the author of this thread,
you would go start your own thread on prejudice/ignorance/I'll mannered folks.
You are not being helpful.
OK, if u wanna look at it that way,
then consider YOUR earlier post, Post: # 5,348,479 at 1:45 PM
wherein u elected to say (in reference to the dialects, etc.):
Glitterbag wrote:
The implication is that the only possible reason a consumer would
shop in a 'Jewish' establishment is because they are guaranteed
a lower price, otherwise no non-Jew would ever patronize such a store.
It smacks of misunderstanding. And no, I am not Jewish,
I just don't like stereotyping. Pushing the boundary here, no one
would enter an Irish operated business for fear everybody was drunk.

That of course is ridiculous, and so is foofie's rational.
In my Post: # 5,348,531 at 2:29 PM,
I addressed the concerns that u raised in YOUR earlier post (hereinabove set forth),
not expecting u to complain about comments on the issues that u brought up yourself,
and then u objected to me going off-topic. The nerve of some people !

David
glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 02:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, I say this with love, you are totally looney tunes.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 02:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, I say this with love, you are totally looney tunes.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 05:12 pm
@glitterbag,
Thank u for saying it 2ice.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I realize you think phonetic spelling (sic.) is the cats meow, but I barely understand what it is you are trying to say. By the way, any luck finding the answer to the first question in this thread? Just forget I even addressed you, I'm heading back to the Yiddish dictionary.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:17 pm
@glitterbag,
Phooey is yiddish? Live and learn..

glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Hi kiddo, there are so many Yiddish words we all use everyday. Check out the Yiddish dictionary, for tons of them.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:52 pm
@Willyc,
I have checked out a number of sites but I'm using an iPad and its somewhat limited when you are trying to enter sites. When mr. glitterbag relinquishes the desk top, I'll check out a few more things. I did find yiddishwit.com to be helpful, but I'm going to check Babylon site next. It's hurricane season, and the mister will be tracking the new storm. I might not get on for a couple of hours. He gave me the iPad so I could keep track of my sites and not sulk.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,
or not

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/phooey

Quote:

1925–30, Americanism; perhaps < German pfui! expression of disgust, conflated with English phoo! with similar force

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=phooey

Quote:
hooey
expression of contempt, 1929, from Yiddish, from German pfui (attested in English from 1866); popularized by Walter Winchell. Phoo "vocalic gesture expressing contemptuous rejection" is recorded from 1640s.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Linguistically, it's difficult to translate what we hear into something English speakers can use. For instance, translating a Korean beef recipe can be seen as pulgulgi, bulgulgi, and once i saw it in trader joes as bogolgi because not every language uses the identical alphabet. Hence the difference, fooie, phooey and every other attempt to anglicize Hebrew or Yiddish. Polish has some unusual consonant parings. You might know, but can you phonetically pronounce Lodz or Dziedzic, it's not always easy.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:04 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Just forget I even addressed you
Its forgotten.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:06 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Phooey is yiddish? Live and learn..
I heard that it was the name of a French ship.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:15 pm
@glitterbag,
In this case it was the German pfui turned into Yiddish and then into English.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Yiddish incorporates many Eastern European and Russian word/phrases/dialects. It's main purpose was for Jews to be able to communicate where ever they were. It was particularly important because as far back as history can document, Jews have been forced off lands, denied citizenship, not allowed to own farming animals and the list goes on. Yiddish provides a method for Jews to communicate with each other. I'm not making a political statement, it's just what has happened and they have developed coping skills in order to survive.

You can look thru the Yiddish phrases and see many that are not originally coined by Jews, but are familiar to every culture. Too soon old, too late smart, I can't swear to it, but I think everybody has heard some version of this. What I'm trying to say, awkwardly, it that all cultures borrow from all other cultures. I have no idea if the chicken or egg came first, and I'm not interested in trying to argue either one. Language is fluid, and even English speakers don't agree on spelling of English words.