Wenn ich ein Vöglein wär Deutsche Volkslieder, or. . .

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2023 12:20 pm
While looking up some of Schubert's works I came across an album of German folksongs, Wenn ich ein Voeglein Waer (Deutsche_Volkslieder). I looked up cover art for the album and came across a Sony album, Wenn ich ein Vöglein wär Deutsche Volkslieder. What's with the difference in spelling?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 383 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2023 12:25 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
While looking up some of Schubert's works I came across an album of German folksongs, Wenn ich ein Voeglein Waer (Deutsche_Volkslieder). I looked up cover art for the album and came across a Sony album, Wenn ich ein Vöglein wär Deutsche Volkslieder. What's with the difference in spelling?
Wenn ich ein Vöglein wär (If I were a little bird) is a well-known German folk song whose lyrics, in the version best known today, are by Johann Gottfried Herder.

Carl Maria von Weber, Robert Schumann, Clara Schumann, Adolf Jensen and Ferdinand Hiller set the Herder text to music.

Because there is no "a" or "ö" (or "ü") on some keyboards, "ae", "oe" (or "ue") is used instead of the umlaut.
hightor

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2023 12:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
(My surname was Anglicized and contains an "oe".)

I'm currently waiting for a guitar/clarinet transcription of Schubert's "Arpeggione Sonata". The only Schubert in our repertoire so far is "Leise flehen meine Lieder".
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2023 12:38 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Ahh, thank you very much for that, Walter.

The Schubert song included in the album is Das wandern ist des Muellers lust.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2023 01:09 pm
@InfraBlue,
Das Wandern ist des Müllers Lust was first set to music in 1823 by Franz Schubert under the title Das Wandern as part of the song cycle Die schöne Müllerin.

In 1844, the Leipzig music teacher Carl Friedrich Zöllner set the text to music as a four-part choral movement for male choirs. In this version, the song became one of the best-known German-language hiking and folk songs.
0 Replies