Windmills Killing Eagles

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 08:27 am
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/editorials/ruffled_feathers_eoxtOD4cj7UR1sVkbg9LgI

Quote:

If a hunter kills a bald eagle, he can get a year in prison and a $100,000 fine. Likewise, oil companies are liable for tens of millions for any spill that harms our wildlife. But what happens when a green-energy wind turbine slashes a bird to bits?

Absolutely nothing.

The Associated Press revealed that even as wind turbines kill an estimated 573,000 birds a year — including many bald and golden eagles — the Obama administration refuses to lift a feather to enforce federal laws protecting the birds.

“The result is a green industry that’s allowed to do not-so-green things,” reports the AP. “It kills protected species with impunity and conceals the environmental consequences of sprawling wind farms.”

Because wind power is a preferred pet of the green movement, the government is allowing it to get away with things that other companies cannot. The effective result is that the White House is creating two sets of laws: a harsh one for the oil and electricity plants that provide the majority of energy in the nation, and a loving one for its preferred class of wind-energy farms......

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 4,862 • Replies: 47
No top replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 09:02 am
I notice "Sloan" is right back to adding his " Republican Idiot" tag to everything he deems too far to the right. Selective enforcement??

I have proposed a workable solution to the tag problem on A2K (which no other forum I've ever seen suffers from). Once again:

http://able2know.org/topic/212732-1

Quote:

Suggestion: Allow only the original poster of a thread to add up to four tags via a dropdown list containing a covering set of reasonable choices:

arts
automotive
breakingnews
business
crime
dating
driving
evolution
geography
guns
history
legal
math
media
military
music
politics
relationships
science
sex
space
youtube

Others might could think of one or two to add...
RABEL222

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 09:57 am
I read somewhere Ice flows kill a lot of Eagles. Maybe we could something about Ice. Oh, we already are, global warming.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 08:28 pm
@gungasnake,
I think it's Gaea's fault.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 09:33 pm
@gungasnake,
I agree with your suggestions. The present system has little use even for those who don't intend insult or political statement.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 02:02 am
At first, I really thought it were windmills ... wind turbines it is, says the article.

We get a lot of birds killed here by cars, btw, ...

RABEL222

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 01:00 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
So do we.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 05:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
We get a lot of birds killed here by cars, btw, ...

You must have a lot of really stupid ****ing birds over there...

I mean, I never see more than the occasional bird killed by cars but, apparently, these libtard windmill farms are perpetrating a perpetual massacre of birds, kind of like if they were making all the birds in the land fly through some sort of gauntlet and every redneck who owned a shotgun and was any good with it was out there with an infinite supply of ammo.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 01:32 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
these libtard windmill farms are perpetrating a perpetual massacre of birds,
Perhaps your birds are stupid? Or perhaps it is a matter ... of time? We have had windmills since centuries here (now only as museums), so birds might have got used to them.

If -if! - you are referring to wind turbines (windmills have a different purpose, as you perhaps know), those don't kill less birds here than cars.
roger

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 02:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, how long is it going to take for your dumb birds to learn about cars.

Smile
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 03:26 am
@roger,
They had had 800 years to learn about the windmills, but it's only 126 years ago since the first motor cars drove here.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 05:17 am
The other thing you guys are missing is that an ordinary European windmill for grinding grain is one or two per village and easy enough for birds to avoid. The question is, how the hell is a bird supposed to avoid this ****:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01688/wind-farm_1688864c.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 09:36 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

The other thing you guys are missing is that an ordinary European windmill for grinding grain is one or two per village and easy enough for birds to avoid.
Even here, you've no idea: in my native town, there had been eight windmills until early 20th century. In the town (inner town) where my ancestors had had their mill business, there were five mills.
(That's why we still have more than 120 still working windmills in our state - a lot less, of course, than in northern Germany or the Netherlands.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 09:43 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
The question is, how the hell is a bird supposed to avoid this ****:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2vmuhrs.jpg Large birds fly over it (This is one of the three windfarms close to our local airport - 300 turbines altogether.)

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 10:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
According to statistics and a study by the (German) Nature and Biodiversity Conservation Union, about two birds are killed per year by a wind turbine.
The highest number of birds killed are red kites.
Any planned windfarm with more than 20 turbines must not only undergo the normal environmental impact assessment for wind turbines but has to give evidence that it is outside breeding areas of birds of prey, 'lanes' of bird migration, no bats nearby etc
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 10:14 am
Hmm, 573,000 killed in wind turbines every year. That's 1/2000, one-twentieth of one percent, of the billion birds killed flying into buildings in the US every year. And who's in those glassy buildings the birds hit? Donald Trump, major banks, large law firms, the huge financial institutions that collaborated in nearly destroying the world's economy a couple years ago, the fat cats. You gonna go after them, the real problem, and tell them to tear down their skyscrapers, gunga?
gungasnake

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 06:14 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Hmm, 573,000 killed in wind turbines every year. That's 1/2000, one-twentieth of one percent, of the billion birds killed flying into buildings in the US every year....

Birds survive most encounters with windows... I can't really picture a bird surviving an encounter with a windmill.

How abut this:

ASSUMING the United States doesn't simply split up within the next year, the normal people let you libtards keep the windmills (at your own expense of course, no subsidies), and in exchange, lift the ban on DDT.

The birds would be no worse off. Windmills actually do kill birds; the claims of DDT killing birds turned out to be bullshit.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 06:30 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Birds survive most encounters with windows...
Your US-birds really must be different to ours!
roger

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 12:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Face it Walter. Your birds are not only dumb, they are on the frail side.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 12:47 pm
@roger,
Well, how can they improve besides working in a cuckoo clock?