Does "than could have been obtained without them" mean?

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 05:19 pm
Does "than could have been obtained without them" mean "than (a deeper understanding) that could have been obtained without the miracles"?

Context:
Miracles are not to be interpreted as divine acts against the laws of nature (for those laws are themselves expressions of God's will), but as more profound revelations of the character of the divine relationship to creation. To be credible, miracles must covey a deeper understanding than could have been obtained without them.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
BillRM

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 05:50 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Does "than could have been obtained without them" mean "than (a deeper understanding) that could have been obtained without the miracles"?

Yes
oristarA

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 11:23 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Yes

Thank you.

As I wanted to select your reply as Selected Answer, I found someone has vetoed it. I wonder why, who's disgreeing with you.
BillRM
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 05:28 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
As I wanted to select your reply as Selected Answer, I found someone has vetoed it. I wonder why, who's disgreeing with you

Thanks you and sadly the voting have a lot to do with how many users happen to like you or dislike you on this system as must as it does with the content of any given post.
contrex

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 06:05 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
sadly the voting have a lot to do with how many users happen to like you or dislike you on this system as must as it does with the content of any given post.

Sadly indeed, but not unexpectedly, given the nature of Web forums. Much as I may have disagreed with some of BillRM's posts in other areas, he happens to be correct here so I have voted him up to counteract whoever (foolishly) voted his answer down.

BillRM

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 06:58 am
@contrex,
Thanks, but what I find annoying is as oristarA is using this website in a very interesting but also a very narrow manner there is no reason to have shown him one of the worst aspects of this online community.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 02:34 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
As I wanted to select your reply as Selected Answer, I found someone has vetoed it. I wonder why, who's disgreeing with you.

I can't imagine for a moment that the hamsters would include votes down with an individual's right to select THEIR personal choice.
oristarA

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 08:27 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

I can't imagine for a moment that the hamsters would include votes down with an individual's right to select THEIR personal choice.

Wink Well, from now on I will wield my power to its full extent.
0 Replies