Vocabluary conclude

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 07:18 am
Hi English teachers,
Please teach me English by advising me about the following sentence.
It is crucial to conclude the document on schedule.

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
dalehileman

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 11:18 am
@Loh Jane,
Sounds okay to me,. Jane
0 Replies

ashleylm
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 12:26 pm
@Loh Jane,
Though "conclude" can be a synonym for "finish," in practice we don't often use it that way--to "conclude" is usually to "come to a decision or understanding after having weighed evidence."

It's better and more straighforward to say "It is crucial to complete the document on schedule," or "It is crucial to finish the document on schedule." These would be fine.

Neither is perfect, though, because a schedule is an ongoing series of tasks ... one wants to "stay on schedule," but ordinarily we speak of completing a task by a certain date or milestone. So if you wanted to be incredibly strict about your English, you'd have to say something like "It's crucial to complete the document as scheduled," where "as scheduled" implies "On June 21st, as laid out in the schedule we sent you at the start of the project."

That's my take.

Ash
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 12:36 pm
Use "complete" instead of "conclude."
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 02:10 pm
@ashleylm,
ashleylm wrote:

Though "conclude" can be a synonym for "finish," in practice we don't often use it that way--to "conclude" is usually to "come to a decision or understanding after having weighed evidence."

I would say the uses are about equal, at least in British English.
Loh Jane

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 08:59 pm
Hi all,
thanks a lot.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 09:08 pm
@Loh Jane,
Is it supposed to sound like English that people use or is it strictly a grammar exercise?

If it is supposed to sound like English that people use, is it supposed to be British English, American English or something else?

Finally, if it is supposed to sound like English that is commonly used, is it supposed to be English as it is currently used or are you working from old texts/textbooks?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 03:18 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

ashleylm wrote:

I would say the uses are about equal, at least in British English.

I disagree. Conclude sounds very weird in this context.
0 Replies