Is the word "bitch" always a derogatory term?

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 08:32 am
Besides, wiki usage notes say "While not gender-specific, primarily (the word asshole) applied to men; the female-specific bitch is more often used for women."
So the same question is: is "asshole" always aderogatory? When a friend of you criticized you as an asshole because you've obviously done something wrong. Do you think that you can accept the criticism or do you feel you're insulted?

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 10:48 am
@oristarA,
They're derogatory Ori
Except "bitch" is perfectly okay for a girl dog
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 11:57 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
When a friend of you criticized you as an asshole because you've obviously done something wrong. Do you think that you can accept the criticism or do you feel you're insulted?

It all depends on context and situation. If I had done something wrong, I hope I would be able to accept the criticism. An undeserved criticism would be an insult.

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 05:33 pm
Contrex is quite correct. But it would also depend on the degree of closeness I feel to the person making that judgement on me. If someone I consider a friend says it to me, I accept it as justified criticism. If a stranger, or one whom I do not know very well, calls me that, I take it as an insult.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 05:47 pm
@oristarA,
A bitch is a female dog.
Sons of bitches are dogs.

It certainly IS an insult.
It means that which comes from u is very foul and has no value.
JTT

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 09:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You can't really be this simple minded, Om.

Your etymology stinks. Dogs are universally loved, sons and daughters of dogs even more so.
roger

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 10:05 pm
@JTT,
Even in the Arabic worlds? Oh, being called a dog by a Navajo is a pretty good insult.
JTT

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 10:09 pm
@roger,
It's only taken you, what, Roger, a week to pluck up your courage.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 02:19 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Contrex is quite correct. But it would also depend on the degree of closeness I feel to the person making that judgement on me. If someone I consider a friend says it to me, I accept it as justified criticism. If a stranger, or one whom I do not know very well, calls me that, I take it as an insult.

If my colleague at work says "You arsehole, you took my red pen!", I'd say "**** off, you jerkwad, and get another one from the cupboard!" and we'd both laugh. If another driver in traffic shouts "Asshole" to me I would probably make a gesture with my hand and quite quickly forget about it.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 10:01 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:

If my colleague at work says "You arsehole, you took my red pen!", I'd say "**** off, you jerkwad, and get another one from the cupboard!" and we'd both laugh. If another driver in traffic shouts "Asshole" to me I would probably make a gesture with my hand and quite quickly forget about it.
The uncouth surrounded by the uncouth.
JTT

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 10:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
The uncouth surrounded by the uncouth.

You, of all people, Sig, should not be pointing fingers.
0 Replies