Should you reconnect with ex spouse to try for closeure

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 07:21 pm
It's been 7 years since divorce and yet there seems to be something left unsettled. Wife left for an affair. Is there ever a time when you can converse about what went wrong?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,057 • Replies: 4

Ragman

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 05:07 am
@enquirer,
In some cases, yes. In this case, perhaps not. You got closure, you're just in denial.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 07:13 am
@enquirer,
Closure is for books.

Most of life's experiences do not end with a nice, neat bow on them that says, "Here's the explanation."

Seven years? You still give a damn about stuff that happened a good three-quarters of a decade ago???

Things did not work out. That is your answer, that is your closure, if you want so desperately to be told that. Or pay a therapist, if you like.

Or do you really just want to ruin whatever you might have, and what she might currently have, by beating the decomposed horse? If that is your motivation, then at least be honest with yourself.
engineer

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 09:16 am
@jespah,
You also might not really want the answer. You want to know why she left you, why she cheated, why weren't you good enough. You are completely vunerable here. You are hoping she will say it was all a mistake, you were the best thing ever, she didn't appreciate what she had. She could equally say she was bored, you were boring, she wasn't into you any more. How would that feel? Not worth going there.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 02:41 pm
I guess I am alone in my opinion, but yes, I do think closure is important.

So what is closure? Maybe it's ending things when YOU wanted it to. And you didn't get that, since she had an affair, so things didn't end with you in control.

I asked to meet my former lover to talk to him because I felt like he was a cheat, liar and ended out relationship very cruelly. I told him I wanted to get rid of those feelings and let him go with love. After our talk I felt better but I still felt that he was a cheat, liar and cruel AND stupid. He had NO idea what I went through and looked at me like something was wrong. I guess I wanted an apology, which I never got. But then I realized that he was incapable of even feeling any kind of remorse or importance to the ending.

So for me, I guess the "unfinished business" was because I didn't end it first.
It still bugs me a little.

It was like speaking second year Chinese to him - he just didn't get it.
0 Replies