I believe in B-ball ...

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 10:57 am
@Ragman,

someone tweeted that both the clippers and the nets were denied permission to speak to doc.

looks like the nets are going with newly-retired jason kidd...
Ragman

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:01 am
@Region Philbis,
Yeah, I just read that Ainge denied permission for any team to speak with Doc. Ainge and he are very close, so it's doubtful unless doc wants out of coaching for this coming year that it'd be with another NBA team.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:03 am
@Region Philbis,
Not that I worry about the Nets or Kidd's fortunes, but you'd think they'd want to season Kidd with some sort of coaching at the pro level before throwing him in with sharks.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:14 am
@Ragman,

i guess they feel he's been a player-coach for a while now.

big gamble, i'd say...
Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:15 am
@Region Philbis,
really?

if he succeeds they are geniuses.

even if he doesn't they sell a lot of tickets and generate buzz...

it's not like he can tarnish the Nets dynasty.
Ragman

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:18 am
@Rockhead,
Chuckling (tarnished rep).

Are the Brooklyn Nets the team that has that Russian billionaire as owner? If he's the one, as the wheeler-dealer extraordinaire, he has a conveyor belt set up for that coaching job.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 12:46 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

LeBron is the least likeable superstar i've ever encountered.

perhaps one day i'll look back and appreciate what he's done...

I couldn't agree more. He does or says stuff and I think, "maybe I've just been to harsh on this guy." Then he goes and ruins it with his aggrogance and I know that I am not. I think the announcers causes a lot of it. They will say, "this is the greatest ever" or "this has never been done before". Everyone knows this isn't true, at least I do. I have seen better moves or moves done before. At least, I give it credit for being great, maybe he will be the best ever on day, one thing I am sure of - he believes it!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 02:50 pm
Used to be you paid your dues as an assistant coach for a while...
not anymore
BillW

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 03:57 pm
@panzade,
Kidd talks like he is freshly out of the 'hood. I guess the owner likes that - it is a Ruskie positive. He has been a teamleader - on and off court. So, his action is known and as said before, he is/was a player coach. So was Bill Russell and others. This isn't a new thing, just not a thing done often.

I'm not against it, it could be fun.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 03:19 pm
Anybody ever see MJ flop?
panzade

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 04:04 pm
@snood,
Jordan didn't need to flop, he got calls against guys standing 6 feet away
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 10:01 pm
Series tied up 2-2...nice win for the Heat tonight...got back home court...

I think every home team wins the rest of the games...
panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 08:59 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I have to agree with this writer:

Quote:
Let Wade play lousy, and it's his knee. Let him do his job – play superbly – and he's courageous, heroic, a champion defying the declarations of his decline. The storylines are wired. This way, Wade never loses. From James to Erik Spoelstra to Chris Bosh, the best gig on the Heat belongs to Wade.

Put that bum knee away and just play!
BillW

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 02:09 pm
@panzade,
A seventh game is always a tossup....
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 04:13 pm
@BillW,
I personally disagree with that...Game 6's on the road to close out are very, very difficult, and games 7's almost never happen...

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/story.cfm/story/855408/

It could happen of course, but if S.A does not win in 6...they are not going to do it...
snood

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 04:42 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Jordan didn't need to flop, he got calls against guys standing 6 feet away

He also was perennially all NBA first team defense and notoriously hardnosed. So my point stands. He might have gotten deference by the refs (Lebron doesn't?), but he didn't have to flop because he beat people with skill and determination, not acting.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 08:27 am
Quote:
Sources: Clips resist trading Bledsoe (to Celtics)

The proposed cross-country move of Doc Rivers from the Boston Celtics' bench to the Los Angeles
Clippers' bench remained in limbo Saturday night because of the teams' ongoing haggling over prized
young guard Eric Bledsoe, according to sources with knowledge of the talks.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Celtics will not consent to allow Rivers out of the final three years
and $21 million on his contract unless they receive both Bledsoe and Clippers center DeAndre Jordan
in a corresponding trade for Boston's Kevin Garnett, along with at least one future first-round pick as
compensation for Rivers.

Yet sources say that the Clippers continue to tell Boston that they will not include Bledsoe in the
proposed trade for Garnett, largely because they are determined to keep Chris Paul's backup to headline
a separate down-the-road trade once they're certain that Paul has committed his long-term future to L.A.

The viability of the trade scenario featuring Rivers and Garnett thus hinges on either the Celtics or the
Clippers relenting in the next day or two. Boston is also said to be insisting that the Clippers absorb the
contract of either Jason Terry or Courtney Lee to clinch the deal.

If the Clippers could successfully acquire Garnett and were also cleared to hire Rivers as their replacement
for Vinny Del Negro, sources briefed on L.A.'s thinking say that the club would then pursue Paul Pierce
in an attempt to reunite all three Celtics mainstays at Staples Center. If neither side budges soon,
sources close to the situation expect the Clippers to change course by Tuesday or Wednesday at the
latest and name either Lionel Hollins or Brian Shaw as their new coach, which would bring an end to
L.A.'s complicated courtship of Rivers and force Rivers to decide whether to return to the Celtics next
season -- as Boston president of basketball operations Danny Ainge still hopes -- or leave the game
to either return to broadcasting or simply recharge away from it.

The Clippers, though, would still have Bledsoe in the latter scenario as a trade chip to pursue additional
roster upgrades to ensure Paul's signature on a new contract after he becomes an unrestricted free agent
July 1.

ESPN.com reported earlier Saturday that the Clippers have internally weighed the prospect of offering
star forward Blake Griffin to the Los Angeles Lakers in tandem with Bledsoe in a sign-and-trade pitch to
land Los Angeles Lakers center Dwight Howard after July 1.
(espn)
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:07 am
@Region Philbis,
mike pesca @pescami wrote:
32s

I'll be on NPR's ATC today discussing the NBA finals.I'll try not to give away who wins tomorrow, but-full disclosure-I have read the books.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 01:30 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
BillW wrote:
A seventh game is always a tossup....

XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

I personally disagree with that...Game 6's on the road to close out are very, very difficult, and games 7's almost never happen...

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/story.cfm/story/855408/

It could happen of course, but if S.A does not win in 6...they are not going to do it...

Whereas I didn't say anything about the 6th game, what I did say is not true anyways!

Since 1948 there have been 17 game 7s' to decide the Championship with 14 won at home and 3 decided by the road team - hardly a tossup with 18% going to the road team. If we look at all palyoff series, there have been 112 seven game series with 23 or 20.5% going to the road team.

But, as anyone who runs statistics know, past results mean nothing, each game, contest, event has a dependent factor soully a product of itself.

All that being said, the best chance of SA winning is the 6th game, I just don't think they want a game 7. But, that in and of itself is kinda oxymoronic - of course if they win game 6 they win the series - duh!
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 09:54 pm
That is exactly why the Heat got Ray Allen...that has to be one of the most clutch shots I have ever seen...

Parker's was very clutch...Ray Allen's was even more clutch...