I believe in B-ball ...

Ragman

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 05:03 pm
@Region Philbis,
Wonder why didn't they even talk with Brian Shaw?

Jackson could have worked magic (no pun intended) with that crew. Anyone in the history of the game have more championships rings (11)?

D'Antoni can't win in post-season. Is he going to get anyone to play D? Nash doesn't play D. Fercrissakes Mike just had knee-replacement-surgery. No offense but will he be on a gurney for the first 4-6 weeks?
snood

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:28 pm
@Region Philbis,
D'Antoni is not a strong enough personality to herd those supernova egos
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:43 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
i don't see it working.
too many egos in the locker room, not enough unselfish players on the court...

We'll see. Nash is unselfish, and he'll have the ball. But, yeah, there might not be enough balls to go around.

I can see Nash working the pick and roll with Gasol or Howard, Kobe freed up to knock down an outside shot.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:45 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Nash doesn't play D. Fercrissakes

He plays D, just not very well.
Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 11:40 am
@Ticomaya,
Sorry...I still am an appreciater of Nash too but one year older, one year slower at age 39.

D'Antoni runs an offense that works off a 7-seconds-or-less-shooting style. But this team will have serious issues running like rabbits. Speaking as a Celtics fan, the sands of time are running down on the hourglasses for KG, and Pierce, too.

Facing a team of rabbits..like say the OKC, is going to be trouble for Lakers, as well as the Celts.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 12:33 pm
@Ragman,
He's old, but takes care of himself. Can still pass with the best. But I get your point.

There was an article in the local paper today about the 7 seconds or less thing. Alvin Gentry said if you look at it, they averaged a shot off at about the 12 second mark on the shot clock. But, again, I get your point.
Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 12:39 pm
@Ticomaya,
Gotta love the sports pundits: When referring to Mike, the new Lakers coach...they called him Mike Antoni, intentionally mispronouncing his name (as in no D).
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 07:12 am

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/1114/bos_u_green_b1_400.jpg

posterized!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 09:14 am

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2012/11/21/11-21-2012-jack-taylor3-3_4_r560.jpg?f061b7ce9937c38b702e6f308816ac2a14e2a4ec

Quote:
GRINNELL, Iowa -- As word spread throughout the Grinnell College campus and around town of what Jack Taylor
was doing Tuesday night, fans began filing into the team's gymnasium on 10th Avenue.

A day after the Grinnell sophomore set an NCAA all-divisions record by scoring 138 points in a game,
Taylor is still attracting attention, not just in town, but throughout the country, and even around the world.

"It kind of felt like I woke up in a different world, almost," Taylor said. "Before the game, I was just a regular
college basketball player. Now I'm getting tweets from NBA players and getting national and international coverage.
It's definitely crazy."
(usatoday)

btw, it was a a 179-104 victory for division III Grinnell over Faith Baptist Bible.

Taylor scored all but 41 of his teams points in only 36 minutes of playing time...
Ragman

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 09:44 am
@Region Philbis,
FWIW, it was intended as a marketing coupe, as it put this invisible team on the map. Every ESPN show on the hour since it happened has discussed it and showed video clips. Anyone even know the name of one Div III team before this? What happens now is that Taylor (and team) get their names in the record book. By the half the other team fed into this, too.

At 5ft 10 in and 170 lbs, and, prior to this, Taylor was good for 23-25 ppg for Div III team, so he's likely not ever going to be an NBA player. Maybe the coach markets his team and himself for moving up the next rung on the food chain?

My feeling is that if that was a real bball of street ball in da 'hood, there'd be some hell to pay (not that I'd advocate trouble).

IMHO, it is black mark on coaching and showing kids what teamwork is all about. "See kids, this is how you play with no Defense or any sense of what real basketball is about. Any questions?"
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 11:17 am
@Ragman,

it seems to be part of the game plan...
Quote:
Since 1993, the [Grinnell] Pioneers have employed a frantic, all-out scoring system
that employs a 40-minute full-court press, hockey-like line shifts and rapid shooting,
with the intention of scoring as much and as quickly as possible.

David Arsenault Sr., the offense’s originator, said he wanted his players to take at least
30 more shots than their opponents. His teams have led all playing levels in scoring for
17 of the past 19 seasons, and Grinnell’s 126.2 points per game in 2003-4 ranks second
in history.
(NYT)

from the accompanying box score --
taylor shot 52-108 (including a mind-boggling 27-71 from international waters), only 7-10 from the charity stripe, and recorded zero assists Laughing

i'd be surprised if he was able to lift his arm above his head the next day...
Ragman

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 11:27 am
@Region Philbis,
I'm not surprised that someone in a Div III school would use that sort of offense as a strategy. I'm sort of amazed, though, that he's still coaching. I think he'll never be a big time college coach. But what do I know? I'm sure that he's making more in his profession than I did (if that is any criteria of excellence).

Thanks for the added insight.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 05:59 am

the spurs almost beat the heat in miami, despite resting stars duncan, parker, ginobili, and others.
coach pop made the decision based on a rough schedule of 4 games in 5 nights, all on the road.

commish stern was royally pissed, and is threatening to "sanction" the spurs for daring to ruin his
precious thursday night TNT game...
Ragman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:30 am
@Region Philbis,
It kinda made me chuckle a little. I heard the coaches debate justification on doing it. I'd be super-pissed if I bought a ticket, though.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:49 am
@Region Philbis,
Howzit different than when a coach rests the top players down the stretch at season's end?
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 04:57 pm
@Ragman,

it's no different.
a coach should have the freedom to play or not play whoever he wants without feeling pressure from the league...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 09:14 pm
Quote:
Spurs fined $250K for sitting players

Gregg Popovich sent his best players home, deciding they reached the end of the road
before the trip was finished.

For that, and for keeping it a secret, the San Antonio Spurs were fined $250,000 by the
NBA on Friday.

Commissioner David Stern said the Spurs "did a disservice to the league and our fans"
when they didn't bring Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili or Danny Green to Miami
for the final game of the six-game trip.

"The result here is dictated by the totality of the facts in this case," Stern said in a
statement. "The Spurs decided to make four of their top players unavailable for an
early-season game that was the team's only regular-season visit to Miami. The team also
did this without informing the Heat, the media, or the league office in a timely way.
Under these circumstances, I have concluded that the Spurs did a disservice to the league
and our fans."

Teams are required to report as soon as they know a player will not travel because of injury.

The league's statement said the Spurs were in violation of league policy reviewed with the
board of governors in April 2010 against resting players in a manner "contrary to the best
interests of the NBA."
(espn)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 12:29 pm
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 12:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://www.leapup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/wow.png
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 06:44 am

the C's have won seven in a row (including a thrilling triple-OT against denver last night)
since rondo went down with a torn ACL.
doc had no choice but to simplify the playbook, and they're finally playing as a team.
before, all they hadda do was get to their spots and wait for rondo to deliver.
now, everyone touches the ball, everyone shares the responsibilities on offense...