Child Support 3 States, no physical address

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 01:13 pm
Currently I live in NH, my son was born in AL. I have filed for child support through the state of NH, who sent it to AL. My sons father was living in AL, but has now moved to another state. The state of AL has verified his work, but has no physical address to send him the legal notices of the action of attaching his check. I have been told there is nothing else they can do until they are provided with his physical address... I don't know where to turn now. I'm working 2 jobs and looking for an affordable place to live (another battle in itself!). Any advice?

jespah

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 01:39 pm
@sallyinsalem,
Get a skip tracer or a private investigator to find your ex. I realize that's not cheap, but you've gotta find him before you can get any support $$.
sallyinsalem

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 06:42 pm
@jespah,
Thank you.. money is a big issue.. plain and simple I don't have enough to even provide a roof over our head. My family is not in a position to help either. The Child Support Unit has verified his employment, I just don't understand why they can't get an address.
roger

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 06:59 pm
@sallyinsalem,
I don't either. He can certainly be served at work.
sallyinsalem

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 07:48 pm
@roger,
That's what I'm hoping, but he's at sea for 3 weeks (deckhand) and home for a week. I don't know his schedule. Then we're up against... filed in NH, sent to AL, and his work is out of Louisiana.

I understand the Child Support Services DHHS are inundated with cases that they can't get anywhere with, but they sure are rude as hell and act like they have done all they can do. I guess I'll have to bring up the idea of serving him before he leaves or as he gets off the boat.

I wonder if they would send the papers upon request to whoever it is that can legally serve them to him.. anyone know about this scenario?
roger

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 08:03 pm
@sallyinsalem,
That I don't know. Process servers work for a fee, and you would probably have to be pretty specific about when and where he is to be served. I hope you can get at least this much out of your state child support agency.

If child support has been awarded, you might get the court to order garnishment of wages. At that point, you are dealing with someone who does have an address. That is, his employer.
0 Replies