The Long Expected Next Phase In DUI Law Is HERE

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 12:07 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

kinda reinforcing the point, aren't you?

now all I need to do is become a REPUBLICAN! to get my reservation in Hell confirmed....
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 05:47 pm
Oh, I don't think you need to worry about your reservations, Hawkeye. They're pretty much ironclad already. Becoming a Republican does let you move to the front of the line, however.
0 Replies

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 06:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Butrflynet wrote:

Let me guess....you have a liquor license and serve liquor in your restaurant and this will cut into your profits.

yes but I was hostile towards DUI law before that....in the Berry/Thom thread I said that the .08 limit is already not justified based upon science and thus is barely tolerable, and that the next phase of depriving us of pleasure and freedom must be put down with vigor.

Freedom? Freedom to drink and drive?

You are making arguments based on your own faulty premise.
farmerman

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 11:01 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
in PA we have a debate going on about privatizing liquor sales. The biggest group against privatizing is the Union of Alcohol Bevergage Sales Reps. They claim that they are only interested in keeping alcoholism from becoming a Social Pandemic (Sort of like it is in Maryland and Delaware I suppose). Hawkees argument reminds me of the argument made by these liquor union folks. Their concern is more global and based on concern for the people, just as is HAwkees.

On a clams rump
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 11:15 pm
@farmerman,
the solution is obvious: evaluate individual claims on the evidence, and resist the urge to let emotions and personalities cloud your judgement. you are a scientist for ****'s sake....please try to remember that this is supposed to mean something
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 11:21 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
Quote:
Freedom? Freedom to drink and drive?

You are making arguments based on your own faulty premise

wrong...the deal is that you let me indulge in my proclivities and vices and in return I will let you indulge in yours. if this does not work for you then your alternative option is to live as the East Germans did....which I might point out according to almost all accounts sucked ass.
farmerman

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 04:45 am
@hawkeye10,

Whatever you base your own emotional view on
is totally non compelling. The data surrounding impairment thresholds IS scientific and it is in the arena of projection statistics. Trying low level name calling doesnt help your shaky argument.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 04:47 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

wrong...the deal is that you let me indulge in my proclivities and vices and in return I will let you indulge in yours
I like to walk around randomly firing my 222 at low angles into the air
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 12:29 pm
Why is MADD among critics of lower alcohol limit?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 12:34 pm
@McGentrix,
because over-reach by the state in the long term hurts their agenda.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 12:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
...the deal is that you let me indulge in my proclivities and vices and in return I will let you indulge in yours.

that's not how a collective works
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 12:42 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
...the deal is that you let me indulge in my proclivities and vices and in return I will let you indulge in yours.

that's not how a collective works

that is exactly how it works, because the only other way to keep the social glue together is through the force of the police state.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 12:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're not much on the social sciences eh. Collectives do not run based on the desires of individuals.

The collective is not going to let you indulge in your proclivities - at least not without letting you know what the consequences will be. That's what the deal is when you choose to live in the U.S.

The past few decades of Republican governments have grown Big Brother control to a marvellous degree in the U.S. No individual proclivities for you.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 12:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
You're not much on the social sciences eh. Collectives do not run based on the desires of individuals

collectives run based upon what is in the best interest of the collective, and letting individuals live as much as possible according to their free will is a iron clad requirement if the police state is to be avoided. refusal to do this installs a culture of disrespect for the individual which over time will always tear the collective apart.

Pro police state liberals best get their brains around the fact that their actions undermine (are directly opposed to actually) what they claim that they are fighting for, that being a sedate society of free people.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 03:45 pm
I think Hawkeye is more concerned about losing some alcohol sales that anything else. Putting drunks on the road is good business.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 03:56 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

I think Hawkeye is more concerned about losing some alcohol sales that anything else. Putting drunks on the road is good business.

you are aware that I in many places argue that the government is too large and is overly oppressive.......

how about you trying to argue the point rather than thumbing your nose at the other speakers??
JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 04:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
You do realize you could be held responsible if you allow someone to leave your establishment intoxicated?

The whole Thom, Barry case might be over with due to Mr. Swift’s death but the legal issues are not over for the bar that served him cocktails for six straight hours.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 04:08 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
sure, and I also know that in our litigious society .05 BAC laws will severly ramp up my industries costs of doing business, even for my fellow responsible operators.
Pearlylustre

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 04:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
In a previous thread you said you don't think that 'defective people' like my intellectually disabled son should be allowed out in public if they inconvenience others. Why exactly is your right to enjoy yourself and knowingly go out on the road and risk the lives of totally innocent people more important than my son's right to go to a shop to buy food and unintentionally risk slowing down the queue (the example you gave) ?
JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 05:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
All states have general police powers. In the exercise of those general police powers, state legislatures define crimes and establish punishments. States do not have unlimited power to define crimes and establish punishments, there are constitutional limits.

However the state has a legitimate interest in protecting human life and that includes punishing those that drink and drive.