The Long Expected Next Phase In DUI Law Is HERE

firefly

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 01:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I need civilization to continue and alcohol use has always and continues to facilitate that, all moves to use government force to cut joyful socialization is a threat to the collective and to me.

My goodness, how has the Islamic world continued to survive at all, given the fact that Muslims do not consume alcohol. Rolling Eyes

And why is your idea of "joyful celebration" binge drinking--and when a 180 lb man consumes 4 drinks, or more, in an hour, to get to a .08 BAC level, you're talking about binge drinking. You're a little long in the tooth to be glorifying a college frat party lifestyle, and the sort of excessive alcohol consumption that's even unwise at the age of 18 or 19.

You still don't get it, Hawkeye. This issue isn't about the government trying to limit your drinking or interfering with your "joyful celebration" if that involves getting drunk. It's about promoting responsible driving--when people should be behind the wheel and when they shouldn't. It's about trying to reduce automobile accidents, injuries, and deaths, as much as possible. Because you feel you "benefit from drinking and driving," and you'd be personally inconvenienced by having to rely on a designated driver, or an alternate means of transportation, after you've been drinking, that hardly eclipses a very valid public safety issue that goes way beyond you, and your whining about it only points up your chutzpah, self-centeredness, and overly-inflated sense of self importance and entitlement.

Your constant predictions of the end of civilization are becoming rather tedious, adding to the fact they've always been silly. Last week you told us civilization was coming to an end because you felt the younger generation was lazy. You went into another rant because you felt the salt content in the mixed nuts you bought had been lowered by the "salt Nazis", without really knowing whether the salt content had actually been reduced. And now you feel civilization will end if someone has to limit their alcohol intake, by only about another drink per hour, in order to drive legally, if the BAC level is reduced from .08 to .05.

Most of the world already has a legal BAC driving limit below .08--with good reason--this isn't something the U.S. government has dreamed up because it's either "puritanical", anti-alcohol, or determined to deprive you, specifically, of the pleasure of getting drunk before you drive. And civilization and "joyful socialization" is alive and thriving in Europe, Scandinavia, Asia, Australia, and all the other parts of the globe where the legal BAC driving limit is below .08.
http://www.icap.org/table/BACLimitsWorldwide

Your usual Chicken Little routine is just plain absurd, particularly regarding this topic..

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 01:38 pm
@firefly,
the islamic world has done nearly nothing good for civilization for centuries...and is currently the birthplace of much if the planets terrorism. things probably would have turned out a lot better if they would get drunk more often. I take the islam experience as a lesson in what not to do...it also leaves me very sceptical of those sho have jumped onto the .05 standard....not that I feel any obligation to do what everyone else is doing of course.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 01:58 pm
@firefly,
I find it very interesting thst you feel the need to spend great amounts of your time talking about immagined by you faults of mine rather than the topic at hand. this is clearly because you possess a weak argument.
BillRM

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 02:13 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
Quote:
I have no problem with this at all. If you’re drinking you have no business driving period! You know what they did in St. Pete last year? Changed the drinking time from 2am until 3am, who needs to drink until 3 in the morning?

LOL there go mouth wash in the morning before driving to work if the standard is a BAC of zero.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 02:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I find it very interesting thst you feel the need to spend great amounts of your time talking about immagined by you faults of mine rather than the topic at hand

What faults of yours am I imagining? You are constantly predicting the end of civilization due to one thing or another.
http://rlv.zcache.com/lol_chicken_cartoon_funny_chicken_cartoon_postcard-re4118db5dced4afc8429c7a655f0d8a8_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

And your ego-centrism is hardly imagined on my part--it's rather glaring. It seems to be the main foundation for your thinking--which is why your conclusions always wind up being so narrow-minded and self-serving.
Quote:
this is clearly because you possess a weak argument...

Since most of the world already has a legal BAC level below .08, with good reason, you're the one with a weak argument. In fact you've yet to make a real argument that goes beyond, "I get benefit from drinking and driving, " or binge drinking is necessary for your idea of "joyful socialization", or you're just too lazy to get a designated driver, or arrange for alternate transportation, if you drink too much. That's the problem with an egocentric view, it always keeps you from seeing the bigger picture, Hawkeye.

The issue of responsible driving, and the need to reduce automobile accidents, injuries, and deaths, as much as possible, for everyone's benefit, seems to completely elude you.
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mrKbV0MtyAdknOdUkZU-jFA.jpg

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 02:43 pm
@firefly,
my argument is that it is the anti drinking argument which ignores the big picture, they who focus on the lives of a very few individuals where as I focus on the greater good of all mankind.

you are not stupid, you know this but are once again lying because you assume that your audience is stupid so that you can get away with using lies to pad your argument. you also assume that insulting the other speakers will work for you but it does not do much for you on A2K anymore because we have suffered through too much of that scummy move these last few years.
firefly

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 02:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
my argument is that it is the anti drinking argument which ignores the big picture...

What "anti-drinking argument"? Drink as much as you want--just don't drive afterward. Stop with the strawmen.
Quote:
I focus on the greater good of all mankind.

http://forums.startreknewvoyages.com/Smileys/classic/AnimMouse.gif
Thanks for the laugh, Hawkeye. That comment was priceless.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 02:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye a BAC of .05 have little or nothing to do with public safety and is driven by a will to have power over the actions and choices of others under color of laws by such people as firefly.

Take note Firefly was all for limiting adults to the sizes of soda containers they can buy and in my opinion it all one and the same thing.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 03:09 pm
@BillRM,
it has a liitle something to do with public safety, but a lot more to do with finding uses for the police state apparatus and trying to make sure that no one has too much fun.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 03:15 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Take note Firefly was all for limiting adults to the sizes of soda containers they can buy

I did favor placing that restriction on vendors regarding the sizes they could sell. I never advocated limiting the number of glasses/containers that the consumer could buy or guzzle.
Quote:
Hawkeye a BAC of .05 have little or nothing to do with public safety and is driven by a will to have power over the actions and choices of others under color of laws...

Do you really believe such nonsense? It has everything to do with public safety, which is why other countries have already lowered their legal driving limits. And the government must exercise some control over the actions and choices that drivers make--that's why we also have speed limits and traffic signals and signs.

You've already regaled us, in the drunk driving thread, with numerous examples of your own past irresponsible actions as a driver, by telling us how you got behind the wheel in variously impaired states. So I'd consider you pretty clueless on the issue of responsible driving.

And the Hawkeye and BillRM road show, which seems to be starting in this thread, is so old hat, it's a total bore. Hawkeye has already given me a good laugh, so I doubt much else can be found here.

See ya.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 03:27 pm
@firefly,
a lot of those governments provide extensive effective low cost public transit to huge portions of their people which makes restrictions on driving less oppressive than in the USA where very few have that. the safety benefit must thus be greater in the USA in order to push the cost/benefit result into positive territorry than in those other countries. what other countries do is not automatically indicative of what is best for us.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 04:01 pm
@firefly,
I am laughing my ass off watching Firefly pretend that .05 BAC is an open and shut case, when the reality is that the case is so weak thst Mothers Against Drunk Driving refuses to fight for this new oppression.

I get trying to shove this through just after Obama was reelected but this crew does not have the soldiers signed on, and Obama is already consummed by multiple scandals...having a weak case seals it, nothing is going to happen.
igm

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 04:09 pm
@Setanta,
It's like the news... only the bad stuff gets reported... one way to keep up with posts is to browse the 'My Friends' tab, that's how I read your posts... good and bad... so no I'm not a liar I read most of your posts because they appear in the 'My Friends' list.

I didn't like the fact that you seemed to think nothing of the lives of those in the oncoming traffic... you may have changed but you still thought it was a joke to put the lives of others at risk and to share that with others... poor taste , very poor taste. It's no excuse to sit night after night next to someone putting the lives of who knows small children at risk without saying anything to the drunk driver you're sitting next to... an example of the worst kind of anecdote.
Setanta

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 04:57 pm
@igm,
Like i said, you're a sanctimonious bitch. And a hypocrite, too. Go back and read the self-satisfied, smug bullshit you wrote about overcoming suffering through enlightenment when i asked you what the impoverished peasants who grow the food that feeds the useless mouths of Buddhists monks are supposed to do to end their suffering. You've got no room to hand out moral lectures or accusations of poor taste, you puking Buddhist hypocrite.
igm

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 05:18 pm
@Setanta,
OT... I believe... the truth hurts... find a suitable thread to attack Buddhists although your accusations are not thought through just like your anecdote wasn't. You can go back to lecturing others on this thread about DUI Law as you have shown you are best suited to lecture others on it... or are you?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 06:04 pm
@igm,
if Set is going to give credible lectures on this subject then he needs to learn up first.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 06:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I am laughing my ass off watching Firefly pretend that .05 BAC is an open and shut case...

I never ever said it was an open and shut case. Are you hallucinating again? Or just "joyfully socializing" Drunk Drunk Drunk and impairing your cognitive abilities.

The arguments in favor of lowering the legal driving limit to .05 are compelling, particularly given the positive results seen in other countries as the result of a similar move.
Quote:
More than 100 countries have adopted the .05 alcohol content standard or lower, according to a report by the staff of the National Transportation Safety Board. In Europe, the share of traffic deaths attributable to drunken driving was reduced by more than half within 10 years after the standard was dropped, the report said...

A study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has estimated that 7,082 deaths would have been prevented in 2010 if all drivers on the road had blood alcohol content below .08 percent.

That doesn't mean the proposal won't meet with backlash, from various interest groups.

MADD, for instance, has never wanted to get involved in the BAC level debate--their focus is on heightening awareness and encouraging people not to drink and drive.

But, Hawkeye, you should be laughing at yourself for being such an ass. You started your Chicken Little routine too prematurely with this one. No one ever said it was anywhere near materializing, but you were already predicting the end of civilization. Laughing
Quote:
I get trying to shove this through just after Obama was reelected but this crew does not have the soldiers signed on, and Obama is already consummed by multiple scandals...having a weak case seals it, nothing is going to happen...

What does this have to do with Obama? The NTSB is an independent federal agency. You do realize that, don't you? And they can only recommend this change--they cannot implement it--it's up to each individual state to set the alcohol driving limits. And, that's all it is at this point--a recommendation from the NTSB. And, for that, you already had your panties in a knot, and were predicting the end of civilization, because people wouldn't be able to engage in "joyful socialization" unless they could continue to get drunk, and then get into their cars and drive. Rolling Eyes

Yes Chicken Little strikes again.
http://rlv.zcache.com/lol_chicken_cartoon_funny_chicken_cartoon_postcard-re4118db5dced4afc8429c7a655f0d8a8_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

But this time, Chicken Little laid an egg--and wound up with some of it on his face, because he finally had to admit
Quote:
nothing is going to happen

All that hysteria over nothing. Laughing

Next time, be sure of your facts, and reality, before you get so hysterical, you drama queen. Laughing
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 06:29 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
What does this have to do with Obama?

there is no doubt that the expectation was that Obama would be front and center trying to sell this turkey to the masses, as he takes this last chance to work on his legacy before his lame duck status really kicks in to shut him down. however in the last few weeks his mismanagement of his administration has blown up leaving him with multiple big fires to put out and with no time or political capital for this.

OOPS!
Setanta

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 06:37 pm
@igm,
No, it's not the truth. It's just another one of your hysterical attacks. Ever since i bad-mouthed Buddhists, you've been following me around, looking for any opportunity to slam me. I don't give a ****, and i'll keep telling you what a dick you are. You were the one who came in here and tried to lecture me on "poor taste" and the quality of an anecdote.

O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion

You really need to get a steady girl friend, or a hobby.
firefly

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 07:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
there is no doubt that the expectation was that Obama would be front and center trying to sell this turkey to the masses..

No doubt? There is considerable doubt about that. Apart from the fact that the NTSB is an independent federal agency--which is charged by Congress to render independent reports and recommendations--Obama has displayed no interest, whatsoever, in the issue of changing the legal BAC level, and there is no reason to believe that he would get actively involved in it--it is clearly a state matter.

Your opinions, and pronouncements, are fueled far more by your active imagination than by a sober appraisal of reality.