State pushes to keep Trayvon Martin's past out of George Zimmerman trial

firefly

Mon 17 Jun, 2013 09:43 am
@hawkeye10,
Zimmerman's lawyer has said this is not a Stand Your Ground case. And Zimmerman chose to forgo a Stand Your Ground pre-trial hearing.

I believe that Zimmerman's defense will simply argue that the shooting was done in self-defense.
hawkeye10

Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:16 am
@firefly,
the tactics of this defense has no baring on the fact that the self defense laws of this state, and about 25 others, are fucked up. we now for instance have homeowners shooting to kill when they find someone on their property irregardless if any life is in danger, and the law is fine with this.
firefly

Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:36 am
@hawkeye10,
The Stand Your Ground law only applies in certain instances, and, according to his lawyer, Zimmerman's situation is not one of those.

Zimmerman's defense will argue that the shooting was an act of legally justifiable self-defense. I don't know that Florida's self defense laws are particularly different from those in any other state. It's the Stand Your Ground law that's controversial, but that's not going to be invoked in this case.
hawkeye10

Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:51 am
@firefly,
we dont know that stand your ground law will not be used, we only know that it has not been to this point and defense claims that they dont intend to.
firefly

Mon 17 Jun, 2013 11:17 am
@hawkeye10,
When the defense attorney says that the Stand Your Ground law is not applicable in his client's case, why would he then to use it to defend his client's actions? Rolling Eyes

Zimmerman has also said that what happened that night was all part of God's plan.
Quote:
Earlier in the interview, when Hannity asked Zimmerman if he regretted the specific actions of carrying a gun or getting out of his car to follow Martin that February night, the neighborhood watchman said that he didn't.

"I feel that it was all God's plan, and for me to second guess it or judge it," he said, trailing off.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-wishes-kill-trayvon-martin-gods-plan/story?id=16807202#.Ub9DWCrD8lY

I doubt they will use "God's plan" as a defense either.

But, we have to wait for the trial. Ya never know...Laughing

gungasnake

Mon 17 Jun, 2013 12:10 pm
@firefly,
God's plan is in fact for the wicked to be punished, and that includes murderers and would-be murderers like Trayvon Martin.
JTT

Mon 17 Jun, 2013 12:24 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Earlier in the interview, when Hannity asked Zimmerman if he regretted the specific actions of carrying a gun or getting out of his car to follow Martin that February night, the neighborhood watchman said that he didn't.

"I feel that it was all God's plan, and for me to second guess it or judge it," he said, trailing off.

And what, Sean Banality let that lunacy ride?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Mon 17 Jun, 2013 01:48 pm
@revelette,
DAVID wrote:
Anyone is perfectly within his rights to confront anyone else
revelette wrote:
He was told not to follow him by the 911 operator on the phone,
so no, he was not within his rights to confront someone
who was not doing anything worth confronting.
Revelette, will u be good enuf to explain
where the 911 operator got the authority
to suspend the US Constitution 's freedom of speech ??
Will u cite us to the applicable law
and show how it out-ranks the US Constitution, please ??

I really wanna know THAT !

If I crave and yearn for the power
to change the Constitution,
can I acquire that ability by
getting a job as a 911 operator, Revellette ?

David
RABEL222

Mon 17 Jun, 2013 01:51 pm
@gungasnake,
You had better hope God dosent punish the wicked or your in for a rough time.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 17 Jun, 2013 03:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Revelette, will u be good enuf to explain
where the 911 operator got the authority
to suspend the US Constitution 's freedom of speech ??

why stop there? here is a study guide for the florida 911 operator course

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/demo/ems/PDFs/911PST_Curriculum.pdf

show me the section that deals with the training to hand out legal advise please.

Quote:
911 PUBLIC SAFETY TELECOMMUNICATOR PROGRAM
Basic Recruit Curriculum
Table of Contents Page
Professional Ethics and the Role of the Public Safety Telecommunicator 2
Call Classification and Prioritization 16
Communication Equipment and Resources 21
Communication and Interpersonal Skills 29
Operational Skills 34
Hazardous Materials and Fire Department Response 41
Basic Principles and Components of Emergency Medical Services 47
Basic Principles and Components of Law Enforcement 50
Stress Management Techniques 58
Duties of a Public Safety Telecommunicator 61
Emergency Management 64
CPR 79
Appendix 1 – Emergency Support Functions 80

i see this

Quote:
PROFESSIONAL ETHICS AND THE ROLE OF THE PUBLIC
SAFETY TELECOMMUNICATOR (PST)
LEARNING GOAL:
The student will be able to define ethics and professionalism and will
be able to identify acts that are considered professionally unethical. The
student will comprehend the historical development of telecommunications and
911 and will be able to describe the historical development of the role of the
telecommunication profession. The student will be able to explain the
importance of and procedure for testifying in court. The student will be able to
explain the legalities of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
and how it relates to telecommunications. The student will be able to explain the
Sunshine Law and how it relates to public records requests.

but nothing else

not only do 911 operators have no authority to give legally binding instructions to citizens, but they also receive almost no training in the area of citizen rights.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Tue 18 Jun, 2013 12:10 am
One would think that a normal human wouldent have to be told not to follow a 17 year old kid around with a gun in his hand after calling 911 and informing the police of his actions. But now that almost every state has conceal and carry we can go back to gunfights in the streets.
gungasnake

Tue 18 Jun, 2013 05:09 am
@RABEL222,

Quote:
But now that almost every state has conceal and carry we can go back to gunfights in the streets.

That might be a good thing. Particularly, having a number of people like Trayvon Martin shot dead while attempting their shitty little games and the shooters either found innocent or never found would go a long way towards stopping some of the **** we read about.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APa2d6bf76647e475a9d4576667abf4dda.html

Quote:

SYRACUSE, N.Y. — Knockout-- the game a group of teenagers in Syracuse allegedly played that resulted in the violent, random death of a 51-year-old man-- has been a national phenomenon for at least a decade.

Reports of the game have surfaced in states, such as Massachusetts, New Jersey and Illinois. In Missouri, a special police squad and prosecutor were assigned to battle the problem. The game there has been characterized in news reports as "almost contagious," with endings that mirror the incident in Syracuse on May 23.

That night, a group of teenagers attempting to knock Michael Daniels out with a single punch wound up beating and stomping him to death, according to police. A 15-year-old and a 13-year-old have been arrested and charged with first-degree manslaughter, and Syracuse Police Chief Frank Fowler said more arrests may come.

The 15-year-old will be prosecuted in criminal court. The 13-year-old will be dealt with during closed proceedings in Onondaga County Family Court. The Associated Press is withholding the names of the accused because they are juveniles.

Fowler said his department was currently investigating at least four other instances of people being attacked in a similar manner......

0 Replies

revelette

Tue 18 Jun, 2013 08:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Whew, take a breath David.

Zimmerman called 911 to report a "suspicious character walking around." The dispatcher had the authority to give advice to Zimmerman not to follow Trayvon. Just like a dispatcher might give advice to someone calling 911 when a child has accidently swallowed poison not to do certain things that might make the situation worse.

parados

Tue 18 Jun, 2013 09:25 am
@revelette,
Zimmerman's decision to not follow that advice would be like someone not following advice to drive slower in a heavy rain. While it might not be illegal, it certainly can be used to show they had a disregard for the safety of others when their actions result in the death of someone.
hawkeye10

Tue 18 Jun, 2013 09:59 am
@parados,
that you must drive slower in bad weather is a law, that you cant go up and talk to s 17 year old after a 911 operator tells you that you dont have to do that is not a law.
parados

Tue 18 Jun, 2013 10:20 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
that you must drive slower in bad weather is a law

No, it's not in most states. That you have to drive according to the conditions might be the law but that is subjective.
parados

Tue 18 Jun, 2013 10:21 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

that you must drive slower in bad weather is a law, that you cant go up and talk to s 17 year old after a 911 operator tells you that you dont have to do that is not a law.

There is a law against shooting someone in most states. But it seems you don't care about that law.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 18 Jun, 2013 10:23 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Whew, take a breath David.

Zimmerman called 911 to report a "suspicious character walking around." The dispatcher had the authority to give advice to Zimmerman not to follow Trayvon. Just like a dispatcher might give advice to someone calling 911 when a child has accidently swallowed poison not to do certain things that might make the situation worse.

I see no where were I am informed that 911 operators are law enforcement agents who are thus authorized to speak for the state. any advise that they give is thus on the same grounds as advise from grandma...who of course has the authority to speak her mind.
parados

Tue 18 Jun, 2013 10:24 am
The simple fact is that when someone helps create the conditions which result in a death then they become partially responsible for that death. The court and the jury will need to decide how responsible Zimmerman is in creating the conditions when he acted in a fashion that a reasonable person following advice would have resulted in never being in the situation.
Lash

Tue 18 Jun, 2013 10:25 am
I wonder if it is the correct thing to do to disallow all past behavior and comments by both men? Looking forward to see how the judge decides.