State pushes to keep Trayvon Martin's past out of George Zimmerman trial

parados

Wed 19 Jun, 2013 05:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

zimmerman had no way of knowing this even if it matters, which it does not.

Ignorance is no defense under the law.
0 Replies

revelette

Thu 20 Jun, 2013 01:44 pm
All-female jury chosen for Zimmerman trial

Quote:
The six jurors who will decide George Zimmerman's fate have been chosen, and they are all women. The four alternate jurors consist of two women and two men.

Opening statements are scheduled for Monday morning at 9 a.m. ET.

The jury was selected Thursday afternoon after defense attorney Mark O'Mara completed his question-and-answer session with the potential jurors.

Zimmerman, a former neighborhood watch captain, is charged with second-degree murder for killing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida, on the night of February 26, 2012. He claims he shot the teenager in self-defense.

Judge Debra Nelson asked Zimmerman if he agreed with the jurors selected to serve on the panel, and he said he did. Nelson then dismissed the other potential jurors who were not selected.

Attorney O'Mara began the day by explaining the definition of reasonable doubt to the jury pool. He said it’s a complicated concept that even "third-year law students" can have difficulty understanding.

O’Mara questioned the 40 potential jurors about a variety of topics, including their beliefs about gun ownership and their thoughts on self-defense.

O’Mara pointed out that Florida law states that there is no duty to retreat when being threatened, but Judge Debra Nelson admonished O’Mara, saying she did not want the attorneys interpreting the law for the jurors. Nelson then read to the jury the strict definition of justifiable homicide that they must consider during deliberations.

Justifiable homicide is a killing where no criminal liability can result, such as when someone acts in self-defense to protect himself or another person.

O’Mara finished his questioning of the jury before Nelson broke for lunch. When court resumed Thursday afternoon, the attorneys began the process of whittling down jury pool to the six jurors and the four alternates needed for the trial.

Both sides had the chance to keep or strike jurors. Each side had 10 peremptory strikes -- 10 opportunities to eliminate potential jurors without having to disclose their reasons -- and an unlimited number of strikes “for cause,” for such reasons as bias or hardships.

Later today, attorneys will resume the hearing to decide the admissibility of technology used to analyze the screams on a 911 call from the night of the shooting.

The technology may be key to the prosecution’s case, because their experts’ testimony may be able to shed light on what was said between Zimmerman and Martin moments before the teenager was shot.

If the analysis indicates Martin screamed for help, it could hurt the credibility of Zimmerman's claim that he acted in self-defense.

The law states that for technology to be admissible, it must be “generally accepted” in that particular field. Zimmerman’s attorneys are arguing the technology does not satisfy that threshold.

On June 6, defense expert Hirotaka Nakasone, an audio engineer for the FBI, expressed his doubts about using the recordings.

"A screaming voice is too far for us to address," Nakasone said. "It might mislead in the worst case."

Quote:
Attorney O'Mara began the day by explaining the definition of reasonable doubt to the jury pool. He said it’s a complicated concept that even "third-year law students" can have difficulty understanding.

Wish I would have heard the explanation, haven't been glued to HLN and don't know if they covered that or not.
firefly

Thu 20 Jun, 2013 02:22 pm
@revelette,
Wow, the one day I don't put on HLN, things really get moving.

I didn't expect them to decide on a jury so quickly.

I'll watch HLN through the evening, they always re-hash and re-play the trial events from earlier in the day, so I'll catch up with what I missed.

So, the trial will begin with opening arguments on Monday...finally.
JTT

Thu 20 Jun, 2013 02:25 pm
@firefly,
I'm sure glad that you'll be watching to ensure that justice is served, FF. You are big on justice.
0 Replies

revelette

Fri 21 Jun, 2013 08:24 am
@firefly,
Actually I got to have minor surgery that day, not sure I'll be able to keep up with it, but hope I will. Do you know if the judge has ruled on whether the experts on the audio get to testify?

firefly

Fri 21 Jun, 2013 09:59 am
@revelette,
That ruling, on the audio, is supposed to come today, revelette.

If you miss the opening statements on Monday, I'm sure HLN will be replaying them in the evening. The other cable channels will also re-play at least portions of them.

I hope your surgery goes well.
revelette

Sat 22 Jun, 2013 06:01 am

Quote:
When opening statements in George Zimmerman's trial begin Monday, prosecutors are free to use words such as "vigilante" and characterize Zimmerman's actions before his fatal confrontation with Trayvon Martin as "profiling," the judge ruled Friday.

The defense had sought to bar the phrases, labeling them as "defamatory."

“If they [prosecutors] don’t prove it, they don’t prove it,” Judge Debra Nelson. “That’s the state’s case.”

Zimmerman, a former neighborhood watch captain, is charged with second-degree murder for killing 17-year-old Martin in Sanford, Florida, on Feb. 26, 2012. He claims he shot the teenager in self-defense.

Zimmerman’s defense attorneys had wanted Nelson to prohibit the following descriptors of Zimmerman, saying that they were disparaging:
•"Racially profiled" (or any variation)
•"Vigilante"
•"Self-appointed neighborhood watch captain"
•"Wannabe cop"
•"He got out of the car after the police (or dispatcher) told him not to"
•"He confronted Trayvon Martin"

Nelson said she would allow the prosecution to use these terms, because these terms amount to the prosecutor’s case against Zimmerman.

However, Nelson did add one caveat that may help the defense. Prosecutors cannot say Zimmerman profiled Martin based solely on race, but can include other factors such as age.

Nelson said she will try to make a ruling later Friday or possibly over the weekend on the admissibility of technology used to analyze the screams on a 911 call from the night of the shooting. Court proceedings began Friday at 9 a.m. ET to handle any outstanding issues before opening statements begin Monday.

The technology may be key to the prosecution’s case, because their experts’ testimony may be able to shed light on what was said between Zimmerman and Martin moments before the teenager was shot.

If the analysis indicates Martin screamed for help, it could hurt the credibility of Zimmerman's claim that he acted in self-defense.

The law states that, for technology to be admissible, it must be “generally accepted” in the particular field it's applied to. Zimmerman’s attorneys are arguing the technology does not satisfy that threshold.

On June 6, defense expert Hirotaka Nakasone, an audio engineer for the FBI, expressed his doubts about using the recordings.

"A screaming voice is too far for us to address," Nakasone said. "It might mislead in the worst case."

Opening statements in Zimmerman’s trial are scheduled for 9 a.m. ET Monday morning.

source
0 Replies

revelette

Sat 22 Jun, 2013 06:08 am
@firefly,
Quote:
That ruling, on the audio, is supposed to come today, revelette.

If you miss the opening statements on Monday, I'm sure HLN will be replaying them in the evening. The other cable channels will also re-play at least portions of them.

I hope your surgery goes well

Thank you. In any event, I am sure the trail will last a pretty good while if the rate of pace so far has been any indication. I think the ruling won't come until sometime this weekend.
0 Replies

revelette

Sun 23 Jun, 2013 06:59 am
Judge: No state audio experts in Zimmerman trial
0 Replies

firefly

Mon 24 Jun, 2013 11:28 pm
I started a thread for those who would like to discuss the trial day by day.

http://able2know.org/topic/216816-1
gungasnake

Tue 25 Jun, 2013 09:16 am
@gungasnake,
Good description of the situation:

http://able2know.org/topic/216853-1
0 Replies

JTT

Tue 25 Jun, 2013 01:19 pm
@firefly,
This thread is for those who like to pretend they are interested in justice.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 13 Jul, 2013 04:30 pm
@parados,
I'm still surprised at how hard so many people tried to sabotage justice in this trial.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/13/justice/zimmerman-it-firing/index.html?sr=sharebar_facebook

Lash

Sat 13 Jul, 2013 04:30 pm
@parados,
It was pretty damn relevant.
JTT

Sat 13 Jul, 2013 04:36 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I'm still surprised at how hard so many people tried to sabotage justice in this trial.

That is pretty despicable, isn't it, Lash? That's not something you would ever try to do, 'sabotage justice', is it?
0 Replies

parados

Sat 13 Jul, 2013 04:55 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

It was pretty damn relevant.

Only if you think a rape victim's sexual history is pretty damn relevant.
Lash

Sat 13 Jul, 2013 09:29 pm
@parados,
That's such a lame attempt. Not nearly the same. If a chick has an extensive history falsely accusing people of rape - maybe similar.

I'd think I'd be inclined to disbelieve accusations that a kid confronted and picked a fight if he's an average kid who had no history of picking a fight. Though it wouldn't be conclusive by any means, a known history of violence and fighting by a person who is accused to have confronted and attacked is an important piece of information about the case.
JTT

Sat 13 Jul, 2013 09:50 pm
@Lash,
It's really quite hilarious to listen to y'all pretend to care about people and justice, Lash. Of course this applies to both sides of that caring spectrum.
0 Replies

firefly

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:05 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Though it wouldn't be conclusive by any means, a known history of violence and fighting by a person who is accused to have confronted and attacked is an important piece of information about the case.

But Zimmerman had that past history of violence and fighting--he was in court for it twice, once for domestic violence, and once for fighting with a law enforcement officer, and he was court-ordered to take anger management classes.

Lash

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 10:42 am
@firefly,
True - but the domestic violence claim was by a woman who made this charge a few other times against other men - and she was considered a liar. But, I agree that this should be entertained, too....just followed to the conclusion.
0 Replies