Setanta

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 09:21 pm
To the extent that modern American political conservative thinkers have been willing to toss around the notion of "a new world order," and even many their liberal counterparts have been suckered into examining the notion, and to the extent that the latest Republican disaster in the White House is willing to project American military power, and the consequences be damned, i had, and still have, no problem in asking the question of whether or not America embarks upon a venture, or series of ventures, which are superficially comparable to the period in Roman principial imperial history commonly referred too as the Pax Romana. Disputing the use of this term on the basis of the original use of it by Octavian is specious, in that it was in common currency from the his reign (as Augustus) to that of Septimius Severus. The principle difference which differentiates the superficial similarity is that Romans were intent on making their world safe for taxation, whereas those who would project American military might to ensure political stability in the world hope to make the world safe for global "free" trade -- making the world safe for capitalocracy -- hey ! ! ! I gotta a new slogan ! ! !
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 11:55 pm
Back to nature, Setanta!
(Besides, that what I always remember when my wife .... :wink: )
0 Replies