Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 03:21 pm
OK, goys and birls, i would like to read your comments of the topic of the US playin' cop to the rest of the world. The Pax Romana was a very real condition, and probably helped to hold off the inevitable collapse of a slave-driven economy. In addition to your comments on the propriety of such a circumstance, if you feel such policing appropriate, please elucidate what you feel the probably scenario(s) would be. Please, don't throw any bricks, an' i promise to keep my hands where you can see 'em . . .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 8,012 • Replies: 61
No top replies

au1929

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 03:55 pm
You must have noticed by now that nobody loves a cop. It is a thankless job that will only gain us the animosity of the rest of the world. However it is a course this administration seems determined to follow. In my opinion it is a folly and we will soon come to regret. I guess it is most exemplified by our cowboy presidents attitude, it's my way or the highway.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:04 pm
Hmmmmm - my question is, as always, who polices the police?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:05 pm
Trust us, lil' bunny, you can trust us . . .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:08 pm
Pax Romana Pax Brittannica Pax Americana

Different imperialisms, not much Pax.

Bush is making the world dangerous for Americans. While "civus Romanus sum" had some authority, "civus Americanus sum" sounds like a death wish.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:10 pm
fiat lux
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:11 pm
Well, now, while I feel that we have the ability to more or less effectively police the world ... at any rate, it would likely take pretty much the whole rest of the world to actually beat us, and while I further feel we as humans have a moral and ethical obligation to employ our abilities to the benefit of the species, I have difficulty justifying our unilateral action, as "The Right and Rightious US", in such regard. There would be little reason to expect much success from such a scheme. As a member of a consortium of other sovereign states , however, I do believe we are obligated to render such assistance as we may be able to provide in the furtherance of the improvement of The Human Condition throughout the planet. Unfortunately, Purity of Motive enters into the equation as an independent variable. The problem is quite complex.

timber
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:21 pm
The begin of the Pax Romana was marked by the losses of Varus' legions.
Later, the empire protected and governed individual provinces, permitting each to make and administer its own laws while accepting Roman taxation and military control.

I've heard some people with an American slang in our tax office recently ... ...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:23 pm
I would seriously doubt we have the ability and I'd be against working to develop that ability. I don't see where it can be either ethically or morally proper until such time as the rest of the world asks us to (prediction: immediately after hell freezing over.) nor do I see why we should go to the expense (in both $$ and lives) in building the necessary infrastructure to support such an effort when there are more pressing needs for resources that would be necessary.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:23 pm
Keep that under yer hat, 'k, Walter . . . we're not ready for the big PR campaign yet, an' we don't want the natives to get restless . . . could be a Graf in this for ya, Boss, if you show you know how to keep a secret . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:24 pm
What fishin' said.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:28 pm
Dyslexia

Don't you mean Fiat de Luxe? I had one, the crappiest car ever.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:30 pm
"Princeps et senator omnium Americanorum Walterius"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:32 pm
As first citizen, you get my vote Walter, but you'll need to grease some palms on the way up, if ya catch my drift . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:34 pm
And riding on a donkey ...
(Oops that's the other thread, I think)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 08:29 pm
Nobody wants us to be the world's police, including many Americans. What confuses me more than anything is why GWBush enjoys such high popularity. He has single-handedly destroyed any semblance of "world order" and "compassionate conservatism." GWBush has raised the ire of most countries, even the people of the UK - our best ally, increased the potential for war, did nothing to help our economy or ecology, and he's accomplished this all in two years. Nobody likes a bully, and the US is the world's only bully. c.i.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 08:51 pm
Given the choice between a bully whose attention is focused elsewhere and a vicious thug whose attention is on me, I'll go with the bully. If the bully's attention happens to be directed toward my vicious thug, all the better.

timber
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 09:36 pm
timber, Be careful what you wish for. Many Americans are now complaining that our freedoms are being compromised by this administration. If they don't like your looks, you may be called into the INS office to have your picture taken, and made to answer some personal questions. Some Americans are already victims of this "bully." c.i.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 09:41 pm
I know what you mean, c.i., and there is disturbing latitude permitting if not encouraging abuse of some liberties. I too wonder "Who shall watch the watchers".

timber
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 10:09 pm
I have heard the concept of Pax Americana as long as I can remember.
The fact is that the US is, at this moment, the only hegemonic nation left in the world. That gives their rulers power and responsability.
What we see now is that while the US leadership seems inebreated with power, most of the world (the US allies) is asking for more responsability, and another part just wants to throw down the empire.
0 Replies