Does "Take nobody's word for it" mean "take nobody's word as that of the final authority"?

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 10:35 am

Context:
A useful characteristic of a scientific theory is that it must be possible, at least in principle, for experimenters to prove it wrong. Newton and Darwin, two of the greatest theoreticians, both set out ideas in this way, putting their heads on Nature's chopping block. In Newton's case, at least, his ideas have been superseded after proving inadequate in some circumstances. Unlike many religions, science has no final authority; the Royal Society, the UK academy of sciences, expresses this neatly in its motto "Take nobody's word for it".

More:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/7979211/Has-Stephen-Hawking-ended-the-God-debate.html

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Ceili

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 11:04 am
@oristarA,
No, well, kinda.
He means that each religion or sect can give the final word.
Science, on the other hand, has no ruling body. So the Royal Society is saying, trust no one but yourself.
Newton was brilliant, but even he made mistakes. In other words, take the theory and do your homework.
oristarA

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 11:08 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

No, well, kinda.
He means that each religion or sect can give the final word.
Science, on the other hand, has no ruling body. So the Royal Society is saying, trust no one but yourself.
Newton was brilliant, but even he made mistakes. In other words, take the theory and do your homework.

Thank you Ceili.
"For it" gives me a hard time to understand.
Would you like to unravel it in details?
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 11:30 am
The Royal Society's motto is Latin, 'Nullius in verba' and is usually translated as "on the word of no one". 'Take nobody's word for it' is an approximate idiomatic equivalent. The 'it' in that refers to 'whatever it is you are investigating as a scientist'.
oristarA

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 07:59 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

The Royal Society's motto is Latin, 'Nullius in verba' and is usually translated as "on the word of no one". 'Take nobody's word for it' is an approximate idiomatic equivalent. The 'it' in that refers to 'whatever it is you are investigating as a scientist'.

Excellent!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 08:04 pm
@contrex,
Is nullius read as /nʌliəs/?
contrex

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 11:50 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Is nullius read as /nʌliəs/?

I don't know: I don't understand those weird phonetic symbols. The way I was taught Latin was to say both the 'u' vowels identically, as in the English words pull, full, etc.
roger

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 12:17 am
@contrex,
Neither do I, and I'm glad you said so.
0 Replies