Failed to understand "it's striking"

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 10:31 am
Scientists work in the field of evolutionary biology and fundamental physics?
Yes, it is normal. It's not striking.
But why the writer says it is striking?

Context:

The science-religion debate has been going on since science was born, centuries ago. Until relatively recently, it seemed to have quietened down, but now Hawking and others have brought it back into the limelight. It's striking that the scientists who contribute most vociferously to the arguments work in the field of evolutionary biology and fundamental physics. These, at least superficially, appear to be the territories where science and religion can make conflicting claims, leading us to ask which has the better case. But are they alternatives? Is there really any serious argument between the two?

MOre:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/7979211/Has-Stephen-Hawking-ended-the-God-debate.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,266 • Replies: 32

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Ceili

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 11:18 am
@oristarA,
Striking is a used when something seems at odds, yet alike.
Unlikely, like a jail guard with a sense of humour, or a ballerina with a sick sense of humour.
Say if you're neighbour bears a striking resemblance to Vladamir Putin.
So in the case above, creationists and scientists like Hawking are seen as unlikely compadres.
contrex

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 11:34 am
It's striking that:

the scientists who contribute most vociferously to the [science vs. religion] arguments work in the field of evolutionary biology and fundamental physics.

It is striking that they work in those two fields.

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 12:33 pm
"ironic' would have been a better choice, IMHO.

Is this a British article? The use of "striking" sounds like it.
contrex

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 01:24 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
"ironic' would have been a better choice, IMHO.

Ironic in view of what? Personally I think that 'ironic' states an opinion or links back to something previously said; 'striking' doesn't so much. The Telegraph, although I disagree with its politics, is a consistently well-written newspaper.

Quote:
Is this a British article?

Sure looks that way!

I don't think that using 'striking' is a particularly UK practice, but I stand to be corrected.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 01:33 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

It can be used to mean just 'outstanding', or 'prominently noticeable'. (Maybe this is a British English thing?)

My friend's sister has striking looks. Bonito's striking performance in the Cheltenham Gold Cup confirms him as an excellent racehorse. The striking new building in London called "The Shard" is over a thousand feet tall. It is striking how good my son is at inventing excuses for not having done his homework.

Ceili

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 02:04 pm
@contrex,
It means that too, just not in this article.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 02:08 pm
Quote:

It means "attention grabbing."

The word is commonly used in North America as well.
contrex

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 02:43 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

It means that too, just not in this article.

Why not? It is noticeable that those scientists who are most vociferous work in the fields mentioned. An exact fit I would have thought.
Ceili

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 06:35 pm
@contrex,
Yeah, I guess. Although I'm familiar with Hawking's, I couldn't name a 'creationist scientist' (pardon the pun) to save my life. They really aren't on par with each other, it's striking in their differences too, - credential wise.
Collectively, they are a loud bunch, aren't they?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 07:19 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

It's striking that:

the scientists who contribute most vociferously to the [science vs. religion] arguments work in the field of evolutionary biology and fundamental physics.

It is striking that they work in those two fields.

Thank you Contrex.
But my understanding of it is only partially improved. It seems there is something that has blocked a clear picture to me.

It is striking that they work in those two fields?

If scientists work in evolutionary biology only, it is as common as dirt. Nothing striking/outstanding here.
And if scientists work in fundamental physics only, it is as common as dirt too. Nothing striking/outstanding here.

But if they work in both fields (evolutionary biology and fundamental physics), it is striking! It is outstanding!
Am I on the right track?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 07:25 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Quote:

It means "attention grabbing."

The word is commonly used in North America as well.

Cool.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 07:27 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Ceili wrote:

It can be used to mean just 'outstanding', or 'prominently noticeable'. (Maybe this is a British English thing?)

My friend's sister has striking looks. Bonito's striking performance in the Cheltenham Gold Cup confirms him as an excellent racehorse. The striking new building in London called "The Shard" is over a thousand feet tall. It is striking how good my son is at inventing excuses for not having done his homework.

All these examples are very easy to understand, but not for the one in the OP.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 07:34 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Unlikely, like a jail guard with a sense of humour, or a ballerina with a sick sense of humour.
Say if you're neighbour bears a striking resemblance to Vladamir Putin.
So in the case above, creationists and scientists like Hawking are seen as unlikely compadres.

It is very odd that I've got a hard time reading this reply of yours, Ceili.
Your answers always give me the impression of being clear and easy to read, except this one.
"a used"? is "a" a typo here?
"at odds, yet alike" mean "(seems) quite different, but actually much alike"?
A jail guard is usually poor in the sense of humour, while a ballerina (well, I don't know whether a ballerina should have a good sense humor).
"a striking resemblance" is very familiar to me, easy to grasp, but not for the one in the OP.
creationists and scientists like Hawking are seen as unlikely compadres? Yes, but there are on creationists in the OP.
Ceili

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 10:17 pm
@oristarA,
Yep, typo. Should be striking is used..
The jail guard, the ballerina are stereotypes. When you don't expect something, it strikes you as odd. Like contrex said, it stands out.
but there are on creationists in the OP
I don't know what this means..
McTag

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 05:47 am
@Ceili,

It means it's surprising, prominent, particularly noticeable, not what might be expected.
oristarA

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 09:40 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

It means it's surprising, prominent, particularly noticeable, not what might be expected.

Surprising? Evolutionary biology and fundamental physics are just must-do routine tasks for scientists.
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 10:13 pm
@oristarA,
But, isn't it striking that they are also involved in religious debate?
oristarA

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 11:46 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

But, isn't it striking that they are also involved in religious debate?

Got it!
Thank you all.

PS. What does "these" refer to in the context?

Quote:
The science-religion debate has been going on since science was born, centuries ago. Until relatively recently, it seemed to have quietened down, but now Hawking and others have brought it back into the limelight. It's striking that the scientists who contribute most vociferously to the arguments work in the field of evolutionary biology and fundamental physics. These, at least superficially, appear to be the territories where science and religion can make conflicting claims, leading us to ask which has the better case. But are they alternatives? Is there really any serious argument between the two?
roger

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 11:50 pm
@oristarA,
evolutionary biology and fundamental physics