Failed to understand the meaning of "follows form"

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 09:47 pm

Context:
That Mayack refused to sign on to the retraction notice follows form; she did not agree to the Nature retraction. According to Mayack, the issues involving her work in the lab involved what boil down to organizational problems or, perhaps more accurately, disorganizational problems. She called them “mistakes made in data retrieval that were a cause of a poor, but not a unique, data management and archiving system” — but not fraud.

More:
http://stemcellassays.com/2012/01/amy-wagers-retractions/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 601 • Replies: 10

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 10:40 pm
It means Mayack followed a course of behavior. She refused to sign a retraction of her papers, and she did not agree to a retraction in science journal Nature.
oristarA

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 10:45 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

It means Mayack followed a course of behavior. She refused to sign a retraction of her papers, and she did not agree to a retraction in science journal Nature.

"follow suit (of herself)"?
Ceili
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 11:07 pm
@oristarA,
Follows form means that she remained true to herself. By refusing to sign a retraction, she held to her beliefs. She didn't deviate from past behaviour or opinion.
oristarA

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 11:49 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Follows form means that she remained true to herself. By refusing to sign a retraction, she held to her beliefs. She didn't deviate from past behaviour or opinion.

Sounds like this phrase is quite positive.
Thank you.
Ceili

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 12:20 am
@oristarA,
Not necessarily, a criminal usually follow form too, a pattern.
I'm not sure where the phrase comes from, but here's an image to ponder. When pouring concrete, you must build a form to mold the wet slurry. Or molten iron flowing like a river follows the form and replicates a mirror image.
roger

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 01:11 am
@Ceili,
It's a bit more common around here to say someone 'follows form', though both mean the same.
oristarA

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 01:26 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Not necessarily, a criminal usually follow form too, a pattern.
I'm not sure where the phrase comes from, but here's an image to ponder. When pouring concrete, you must build a form to mold the wet slurry. Or molten iron flowing like a river follows the form and replicates a mirror image.

Excellent!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 09:38 am
@roger,
True
contrex

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 11:43 am
In Britain, many people place bets on horse races. When considering a particular horse, a person may consider the horses 'form' - a record of significant events, mainly its performance in previous races. In police slang, if a person has a criminal record, they are said to have 'form'. Athletes also have 'form'. If a person behaves 'true to form' or 'follows form' they are acting as one would expect based on their previous history.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 03:12 pm
@Ceili,
That's exactly what I meant, Ceili. How could you tell?

"True to form" is what I meant to say was more common around here. Smile
0 Replies