Satan (a discussion)

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 09:55 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
. . . I concede it.
Razz Razz Razz

And now back to the regular discussion...without all this side-tracking.

Do you KNOW that a GOD exists, Neo? Or are you just guessing?
BillW

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 12:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
God appears to appears, but he/she/it actually doesn't. Lightning isn't God, it is:

Quote:
Lightning is a massive electrostatic discharge between electrically charged regions within clouds, or between a cloud and the Earth's surface. The charged regions within the atmosphere temporarily equalize themselves through a lightning flash, commonly referred to as a strike if it hits an object on the ground.

But, it sure is marvelous and in times past explanable only as God! Actually, even today many preachers try to still claim it is God. They, of course, loose a lot of cred when they only does this when their politcal preference is out of power....... But, that's another thread!
neologist

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 12:30 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
God appears to appears, but he/she/it actually doesn't. Lightning isn't God, it is:
Quote:
Lightning is a massive electrostatic discharge between electrically charged regions within clouds, or between a cloud and the Earth's surface. The charged regions within the atmosphere temporarily equalize themselves through a lightning flash, commonly referred to as a strike if it hits an object on the ground.
But, it sure is marvelous and in times past explanable only as God! Actually, even today many preachers try to still claim it is God. They, of course, loose a lot of cred when they only does this when their politcal preference is out of power....... But, that's another thread!
Perhaps you have confused my sardonic wit with my love of sardines (with sharp cheddar, pumpernickel bread, and hearty IPA, sil vous plait.) However, sardines are in no way comparable to the red herring you have just brought to the table. Your assertion may likely be true. The preachers of nominal christianity have been know to proclaim such things as "sin is the moral cause of earthquakes". (John Wesley)

They ain't me. And I ain't gonna try to defend 'em.
BillW

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 12:35 pm
@neologist,
This wasn't directed at you, take no offense where none was intended.......

BTW, my Godly view evolves with every new thought immediately over taking every and all old thoughts.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 12:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
OK, Frank. I know God exists in the same way that I know you are a good guy. . . No, wait! Maybe I shouldn't say that.

I got it! I know God exists in the same way your name reminds me of my favorite food. Not sardines, this time . . . NO. But equally delicious with a robust IPA. That's it! Tell me that's not true.
neologist

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 12:40 pm
@Smileyrius,
Sorry, Smiley, to have brought your thread to the lowest level of absurd.

"The debil made me do it!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 12:40 pm
@neologist,
would that be - durian?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AtKlrtNGBGY/T-iZXpwNDqI/AAAAAAAAAHw/EK-rmYpec20/s1600/durian1.jpg
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 12:42 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

OK, Frank. I know God exists in the same way that I know you are a good guy. . . No, wait! Maybe I shouldn't say that.

I got it! I know God exists in the same way your name reminds me of my favorite food. Not sardines, this time . . . NO. But equally delicious with a robust IPA. That's it! Tell me that's not true.

Why don't you act like an adult and show some character…by simply acknowledging that you do not know if a GOD exists…if, of course, you actually do not know?

Your attempts at a simile were way off the mark—as is this one. Besides, you’ve already had three strikes.

C’mon…if you do not know…just say so.
neologist

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 12:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
. . . Your attempts at a simile were way off the mark—as is this one. Besides, you’ve already had three strikes. . . .
You are the one counting strikes, Frank. But we definitely have reached the level of absurdity Phd (Piled higher and deeper)
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 01:35 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
. . . Your attempts at a simile were way off the mark—as is this one. Besides, you’ve already had three strikes. . . .
You are the one counting strikes, Frank. But we definitely have reached the level of absurdity Phd (Piled higher and deeper)

Do you KNOW that there is GOD?

It is an easy question...with an easy answer. The answer is a single word...almost certainly a word of only two letters, but no more than three.

Yet I have asked the question of you a dozen times here...and still no real answer.

Sometimes it is not the amount that is piled...it is the amount that should be there but isn't.
neologist

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 02:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Yes
gungasnake

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 02:11 pm
@Smileyrius,
Historically, "Lucifer" meant the planet Venus. "Lucifer" means "light bearer".

Isaiah's term "Son of the morning" means 'morning star'.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 02:11 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Yes

There ya go.

Now for the hard part.

How do you KNOW?
neologist

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 03:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
See. I knew you couldn't let it drop. I'll get back when I get to a real computer.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 03:33 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

See. I knew you couldn't let it drop. I'll get back when I get to a real computer.

I never said I would "let it drop." You claim you know there is a GOD. I am asking how you KNOW. Why would I drop that question?

Good luck with the computer.
neologist

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 05:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I never said I would "let it drop." You claim you know there is a GOD. I am asking how you KNOW. Why would I drop that question?
I refer to this post I made 2 pages ago:
I wrote:
I understand the epistemological shortcomings of my conclusions. Yet, I am like Peter who told Jesus "Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life; 69 and we have believed and come to know that you are the Holy One of God." (John 6: 68-69)
Apparently you don't like my circumstantial and anecdotal evidence. I assure you that all we consider knowledge ultimately rests on anecdotal and circumstantial evidence.

I refer you to the convoluted, yet reasonable, arguments presented in this thread. http://able2know.org/topic/153890-1
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 05:52 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
I refer to this post I made 2 pages ago:
I wrote:
I understand the epistemological shortcomings of my conclusions. Yet, I am like Peter who told Jesus "Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life; 69 and we have believed and come to know that you are the Holy One of God." (John 6: 68-69)
Apparently you don't like my circumstantial and anecdotal evidence. I assure you that all we consider knowledge ultimately rests on anecdotal and circumstantial evidence.

I refer you to the convoluted, yet reasonable, arguments presented in this thread. http://able2know.org/topic/153890-1

May I assume by all this you actually are saying, "I do not know...I am just pretending that I know?"

You have finally answered the question...and you are asserting that you KNOW there is a GOD.

Tell us how you know...or accept my interpretation of that evasive non-responsive response you offered.

You might also consider carefully why you are doing so much evading on this issue.

Why are you not simply saying: I do not know? Why all the rationalization?

Is there some reason why you refuse to acknowledge that you do not KNOW? Are you in fear of something if you do? Would doing so offend this god you claim you KNOW exists?

You started this discussion, Neo.

Let's see it through.

I do not know if there are gods or not.

neologist

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 05:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
No, Smiley did.
Frank Apisa wrote:
Let's see it through.

I would stake my life on my 'guess', if that's want you want to call it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 06:10 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
No, Smiley did.

Smiley started the thread. You started the discussion of the existence of a god with me. You remember...the little "g" versus the big "G" thing.

I'm not really trying to get on your case, Neo. You can "believe" whatever you want to believe. But damn it...if you are going to make an assertion that you KNOW a GOD exists...expect it to be treated exactly the same way we treat someone who asserts that they KNOW there are no gods.

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Let's see it through.

I would stake my life on my 'guess', if that's want you want to call it.

It is certainly a lot closer to being a guess than to being what you KNOW...so why not call it a guess.

No need to get all dramatic about it...and certainly no need to "stake your life on it." I guess you could say that you would "stake your soul" on it...but only if you think your "GOD" is the kind of GOD who would punish you for being truthful.

(Actually, considering some of the actions of the god of the Bible, I can understand your reservations.)
neologist

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 06:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You and I certainly have different concepts of God.