New annoyance in US - German relationship

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 01:06 pm
"US fury over German Afghan documentary
17 December 2002
WASHINGTON - US officials expressed outrage Monday over the decision by a German television network to broadcast a documentary alleging that US troops stood idly by and allowed Northern Alliance troops to massacre Taliban soldiers last year in Afghanistan.

US officials expressed outrage

This documentary has been shown already on British 'Channel 5' and Italian state television 'RAI'.
Producer Jamie Doran said, it will be broadcasted shortly in the US as well.

Program link (ARD, wednesday)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,980 • Replies: 67
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:39 pm
Here two more links to the documentary (thanks Ul for providing them!):

"Atlantic Celtic Films": Massacre at Mazar

Interview with Jamie Doran
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:19 pm
Walter

Thank you kindly...this is a story that I had somehow completely missed. It's not a happy story.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:58 pm
blatham

It's not only been mised by you - as far as I noticed, it was just published in the European (and especially German) media.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 05:21 pm
Walter, this ( US officials expressed outrage ) is an image only - at least I don't get a news story. Could you release the URL?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 01:03 am
The url is here:

http://www.expatica.com/germanymain.asp?HRSite=&pad=190,205,&item_id=27662

Sorry for that.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 01:48 pm
Makes you wonder!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 01:50 pm
BillW wrote:
!

Question
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 04:12 pm
Walter, I'm more surprised that this incident created such an outcry by the US. The US has been complicit in support of Israel's military outrage against the Palestinians for much longer, but nobody seems too interested. c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 04:44 pm
Walter, there is so much within these articles - it makes me wonder, why I have not seen anything of this in the US press. Then again, it was the unPres that refuses the World Court. Its the unPres that has said to let the other side handle the prisoners because they know what to do with them. I believe that we are under censorship in the US press.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 04:55 pm
Bill

I've wondered, too.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 08:31 am
I clearly recall that much of this was indeed reported in the press contemporaneously, particularly the part about deaths from asphixiation of prisioners held in shipping containers. I don't recall anything reported then about organized executions of survivors though.

Much or most of this may be true. The events are alleged to have occurred at the height of the battles between the Northern Alliance and the Taliban. I don't suggest there is no culpability on the part of American forces here, however, the facts do not suggest that U.S. forces either directed or abetted these events. Knowing about it either as it happened or soon afterwards does not establish that we had the physical ability to stop it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 09:51 am
georgerob

Yes, I think we are without sufficent data at this point. I'd love to see the documentary and rejoinders to it. But I'm willing to consider the possibility that ugly stuff gets covered up, and that the release of such, when that happens, is likely to be suppressed for the obvious PR reasons. It's a cynicism I have from too many past political deceptions.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 09:59 am
There is no evidence that the US was complicit or could have stopped the alleged human rights violations. These were Afghans fighting an ongoing war in the manner they have always fought it.
This idea that war is a gentleman's game and can be fought that way is a myth. It has never been so nor will it ever.
I should also note that only the violations of the winner are ever reported those committed by the loser are never known.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 10:39 am
Those of you who are attracted to conspiracy theories should perhaps consider the several posters on this thread who chortled so sagely about this event as yet another cover up, and who were all wrong. The events had been widely reported soon after they happened.

One who is ignorant of widely reported events and who later claims a conspiracy prevented him from knowing it is a fool.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 10:44 am
The reason you have not read anything in the media is because the media (that would be the US media, for those of you outside the US) has gone bad.

Thanks, Walter, for the links.

I'm making my it personal challenge and responsibility to expose the US media's culpability, complicity, and duplicitousness in the Bush Administration's war on the world and its own citizens.

If we take back our media we may still have a chance to take back our government from these corrupt bastards.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 10:56 am
PDiddie, First off, good luck. Secondly, if you are able to get deep enough you may find that the "We are at War" label will be thrust at you and "Certain rights of the Press are therefore limited" will become the explanation. Liberties have been curtailed.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 11:22 am
US Media Schedules War for Prime Time

http://www.gvnews.net/html/Crisis/alert085.html
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 07:00 pm
Let me me taste the old soup.

Soup is not that old though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter