Well, analyse this sentence please

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 08:15 pm

Does "That there are what I or anyone would call supernatural forces at work is now, I think, a scientifically proven fact" mean:

I think, that ( there are what I or anyone would call supernatural forces at work ) is now a scientifically proven fact.

?

Context:

In an interview with Christianity Today, Jastrow said "Astronomers now find they have painted themselves into a corner because they have proven, by their own methods, that the world began abruptly in an act of creation to which you can trace the seeds of every star, every planet, every living thing in this cosmos and on the earth. And they have found that all this happened as a product of forces they cannot hope to discover. That there are what I or anyone would call supernatural forces at work is now, I think, a scientifically proven fact."[2]

More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Jastrow#Alleged_moon_landing_conspiracy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 957 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 12:00 pm
@oristarA,
Ori, I think so
0 Replies

McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 12:07 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:
Does "That there are what I or anyone would call supernatural forces at work is now, I think, a scientifically proven fact" mean:

I think, that ( there are what I or anyone would call supernatural forces at work ) is now a scientifically proven fact.

Absolutely right, well done.

(although "scientifically proven" is an odd companion to "supernatural forces", imho)
dalehileman

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 12:09 pm
@McTag,
Well put, Mac
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 07:25 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

Absolutely right, well done.

(although "scientifically proven" is an odd companion to "supernatural forces", imho)

That is exactly what made me uneasy and posted this thread.

Science cannot prove the existence of God, or the existence of "supernatural forces." To say it is "a scientifically proven fact" is quite arbitrary.

What has added to the chaos is that the speaker was a leading NASA scientist and the first chairman of NASA’s Lunar Exploration Committee.
JTT

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 05:13 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
What has added to the chaos is that the speaker was a leading NASA scientist and the first chairman of NASA’s Lunar Exploration Committee.

Either these folk must learn to drive the cognitive dissonance deep or they must drive themselves wacky.
oristarA

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 06:43 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Either these folk must learn to drive the cognitive dissonance deep or they must drive themselves wacky.

Good point.
0 Replies