Is there a university in this town?

WBYeats

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 02:23 am
When we use UNIVERSITY for a place, we use articles; if for the education process, no THE

eg Is there a university in this town?
eg Both their children are at university.
eg He's hoping to go to university next year.

But how about this:

He is teaching at (the) university.

I won't use THE, but do you use it?

View best answer, chosen by WBYeats
Pearlylustre

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 02:51 am
@WBYeats,
I think either is ok for a teacher. 'At the' suggests that both people know which university you are talking about (eg if there is only one university in the town). 'At university' makes me think he could be teaching at any university. The same could be true of students but 'at university' is standard. But only 'at the' for a non- academic job, eg 'He's a cleaner at the university '- if you said "He's a cleaner at university' it sounds like he's studying cleaning!

The situation is similar for school, hospital and probably other places as well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 03:31 am
This is all British English. An American would understand "at university," but would be likely to say: "He's going to collge," or "He's in college now." It's not that an American would never say "at university," it's just unlikely. I've noticed that speakers of British English would say "He's in hospital." An American would say "He's in the hospital."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 03:33 am
Yes, and American would say "He teaches at the university."
0 Replies

spendius
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 03:54 am
@WBYeats,
The difference is that "at university" is used generally and "at the university" implies that the listener knows which university is being referred to and is probably one located nearby.

There's an element of snobbery involved as well. If the university was either Oxford or Cambridge the name would be used. "At Oxford". Although residents of Oxford might well say "at the university". Residents of Lancaster, say, would likely use "at the university" if the one being referred to was the university of Lancaster.

The context of the conversation will determine which usage.

It might be ironic.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 06:28 pm
@WBYeats,
Quote:
But how about this:

He is teaching at (the) university.

I won't use THE, but do you use it?

If you want to sound like a native speaker, WB, then you should use 'the' in those situations that have been variously described by folks in this thread.

Again He is teaching at the university/college/high school/elementary school/hospital/gym/city hall/etc all mean that the place under discussion is a place known to all.
WBYeats

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 08:02 pm
@JTT,
Thank you all. It's a long time since I last saw the thread. I didn't give a reply immediately, because I believed I would have similar questions and then I could accompany my new questions with thanks.
===================
For 'before/after graduation from university', a German who lived in the US for a long time told me he'd definitely use 'the';

1. Do Americans all use 'the' before university in this case/phrase?
2.In UK English, do native speakers use 'before/after graduation from university'?
JTT

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 08:18 pm
@WBYeats,
It's been a long time since I last saw the thread.

Quote:

For 'before/after graduation from university', a German who lived in the US for a long time told me he'd definitely use 'the';

Those Germans do funny things with English. Smile

Quote:
1. Do Americans all use 'the' before university in this case/phrase?
2.In UK English, do native speakers use 'before/after graduation from university'?

I refer you to my post before this one of yours, and to Spendius's, the one before mine.

Spendi wrote:
"The difference is that "at university" is used generally and "at the university" implies that the listener knows which university is being referred to and is probably one located nearby."

Unless there are accompanying words pointing to a specific university, this use of university is a general one.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 09:41 pm
@WBYeats,
Yes.

I never heard of university without the THE until I was at a2k. I take that as a british usage.

I see that has been explained.
0 Replies