Regaining emotional stability in a foreign country after threatened by relatives during fracture

pacific

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 10:19 am
Hi,

I am an Indian student, 23 years old in US, who had a severe fracture 3.5 months back and was mistreated by close relatives in US when i decided to stay with them for sometime and initially they agreed. They abused me, insulted me and gave life threats before coming over there and i eventually cancelled the plan. More details can be found on the link below, but my question is not related to that incident again:

http://able2know.org/topic/208816-1

Even my cousin who came here for studies too did not came to see me during my surgeries and after which hurt me as i had always helped him a lot (he just lives at 4 hours drive!).

Now here is where my initial pain starts. They relatives which i mentioned earlier consists of a nasty cousin of mine, who has a 12 year old son (supposed to be my nephew). Me and my nephew had been really close (at least me).

************************ 1 ***************
When he was 8, he visited India for first time with his family and was too much fond of me and always used to jump around me. He requested a lot to his parents to take me on their 10 days family tour, and i agreed after a lot of persuasion even when i had work.

During that time, i developed a lot of affection for the boy. Mainly because i was a little introvert by nature, little depressed due to some reasons and he was jumping around me all the time. I started to cry when he left (i know male don't cry but i did

************ 2 *****************

I came to US for studies in Jan 2012 and met him again in Summer 2012 when he was 11. I stayed at my aunt's house when i came to his city and he came to stay with me for that duration. He really gave me a good time, played games with me, pranks, jokes, we talked a lot, he took me for tour of some places and had a good time. On my last day, when his parents wanted to take back home to his cousin's B'day party, he started to cry and said he wanted to stay with me and didn't go.

My happy life changed in January 2013 when i fell and i badly broke my ankle. Everyone deserted me, friends, relatives in a foreign country where i cannot call anyone my own and cannot travel back home due to medical condition.

The boy's mother insulted me and my relation completely broke up with their family. But i don't feel bad about others but this 12 year old boy. He never cared to call me up and ask how was I. I never forgot his birthday, i always called him. I am not hurt deeply of how all people i knew treated me like scum in this difficult time, but hurt deeply thinking of him.

Sometimes i feel their entire family is like that, who can take our favors and love but cannot return it (including him). The boy always used me as a tool of entertainment, fun whenever he was alone and bored and disposed me when he had friends of his own. Then i think of ** 1 ** and ** 2 ** (see above) and forced to re-think if what i think is true or not. What is reality? If his parents even told him that something happened to me?

Sometimes i think he is still a kid (but isn't 12 a little old?) and might not know my condition. But i terribly loved him and cared for him, and now i feel heartbroken and as if i should never love or care for anyone in this world? I had even seen him 3-4 times in my dreams, growing up as i don't think i would ever seen my most affectionate kid again.

I do not want to keep any relation with him, as i had lot of expectation from my family and myself, and i don't want emotions to mess my life at least for 2-3 years. But i don't know how to break the thread of this seemingly one side affection.

With all my relatives and friends shown their true color, i feel completely alone in this world. I am really ambitious student, but all these unfortunate events have extinguished the spark in me.

Please help by commenting on it.

Thank You
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 878 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 03:43 pm
Sorry about your injury. It probably has depressed you, somewhat.

It also sounds like you lost a friend and a little of your own youthfulness. Those were fun times, but perhaps a little immature. The boy has grown up and you need to move on, too.

You have good memories and perhaps he will have good memories, too. You must move on. Maybe join a club or religious group where you could meet others. You need to create some fun for yourself now, and stop looking back into the past.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 04:06 pm
@pacific,
It's probably not wise to hold a child responsible.
U have told us that u don't know of what he has been made aware.
Forget the (insolent) others.

Have as much fun as u can
and draw as much beauty into your life as possible.

Make new friends whose personalities, values and philosophies appeal to u.
If u want to HAVE a friend, then BE a friend,
but dont go around promiscuously trusting anyone.

Don't risk more than u r willing to lose.

Good luck

David
pacific

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 07:14 pm
@PUNKEY,
You are kinda right. This injury had made me a little depressed and i had lost of youthfulness, direction in life. It was not because of injury but the trauma of how everyone i trusted the most (friends or relatives), i helped them at all times forgot me in this difficult time, i lied alone in bed for 3 months. I am still in that condition but i traveled back home for some time.

They have time to go to parties but not to come and see me even once after such an injury that can limit my body forever. I am introvert by nature and get closer to very few people but i genuinely care and love for those few.

When i met the kid for first time when he was 8, if i had refused to come with his family and continued with stuff i had to do, probably that bond between us might have been never formed. Now his family insulted me, it does not matter either.

I had to cut that remaining bond but sometimes i get curious what was his reality. Someone or the other mentions him, like i broke my ankle and he recently broke his hand. I was thinking, because well Razz i still care and had not completely detached myself from his side.
0 Replies

pacific

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 07:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks for answering. You are very right my friend, i never hold him responsible. But i want to latch away from him which i though i did. I have lot of expectations from my own and my family, i can't waste time and energy on this.

But someone told me he recently had fracture in his hand, and i kinda got worried for him (though my own fracture is much severe). I had not been thinking of him at all, but after this information i am thinking a lot. I thought i latched myself away from their entire family (and him) but i could not.

Their family don't even asks anyone about my condition after that fight. 3 surgeries just to fix my ankle, and probably ankle replacement after 10 years (when i would be just 33 Sad ) and lifetime limitations. No one cares and i am worried about a small hand fracture.

I know time is a key, but i somehow want to latch myself away from him but don't know what to do.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 10:30 pm
@pacific,
Make better friends.
0 Replies