In the GRAND scheme of things, what matters?

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 11:58 am
@Cyracuz,
Well stated; we all must make a choice.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 02:32 pm
@komr98,
I must ask, Matters to whom? It must be to a human being, qua "matter-maker."
I also ask , Can your "grand scheme of things" be beyond the scale of our human existence?
I think that what matters (to "me") is what I consider important within the scale of "my" existence.
komr98

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 07:05 pm
@JLNobody,
1) what matters to the universe as a whole.
2) and yes, my grand scheme of things extends beyond our human existence.
Thank your for asking those questions, hopefully I've cleared it up a bit
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 07:14 pm
I wonder why it is so much easier to find things to doubt than it is to find things to believe. In both cases you are focusing on the thing, whatever it is. The fact that it has your attention is what matters. Whether you spend your energy doubting or believing will only matter to you, and your quality of life.
komr98

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 07:23 pm
@Cyracuz,
I like your answer. Recently I came to my own conclusion on the matter (similar to what you answered), but I love hearing other's opinions on the question. Thanks for sharing Smile
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 09:28 pm
@komr98,
komr98 wrote:

In the grand (I'm talking GRAND grand) scheme of things, what matters? Do I matter? Do you? Does Earth? I mean, for all we know, this universe is just a figment of someone's (from some other universe) imagination. For all we know, everything we've ever known, is not true. So how do we know what ACTUALLY matters, if anything?

In the grand scheme of things, nothing really matters. And don't wait with bated breath for a justification.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 09:32 pm
@Ding an Sich,
I disagree; the GRAND scheme of things is what we make out of the short life we humans have on this planet. That IS the GRAND scheme; nothing else matters. Not the past or the future of our life.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 04:18 am
@cicerone imposter,
I agree with you. We humans forget that no matter what the answer is, the question preceeds it. And questions only happen when there is someone to ask them.
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 04:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I disagree; the GRAND scheme of things is what we make out of the short life we humans have on this planet. That IS the GRAND scheme; nothing else matters. Not the past or the future of our life.

Definitely not the "grand scheme" the op tries to address. And we have come no closer to understanding, on a more rigorous level, what the **** "the grand scheme of things" actually refers to, if anything at all. It has a sense, but I doubt it has a reference.

Semantics aside, I certainly don't consider what I make out of my short life the GRAND scheme of things. But like I said, don't wait with bated breath for justification.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 08:49 am
@Ding an Sich,
We humans are subjective animals that perceives words and phrases differently. "GRAND scheme" has many meanings, and I prefer to interpret it "my way."
JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 08:59 am
Wisdom has prevailed. Very Happy
Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 04:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

We humans are subjective animals that perceives words and phrases differently. "GRAND scheme" has many meanings, and I prefer to interpret it "my way."

And I prefer to interpret your interpretation "my way" by stating that "GRAND scheme" has very little in the way of meaning and much in the way of sense. After all, we humans are subjective animals. Laughing

Do we all perceive words and phrases differently? If so, how great is that difference? And I think you mean to say something like "I interpret this word differently from you" and not "I perceive this word differently"; unless you conflate perception with interpretation.

But then again, you may be perceiving the sentence "And I think you mean to say something like "I interpret this word differently from you" and not "I perceive this word differently"; unless you conflate perception with interpretation" differently. Who knows? Maybe even "Who knows?" is perceived differently. And maybe "Who knows? Maybe even "Who knows?" is perceived differently." is perceived differently. And so on ad infinitum.
Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 04:38 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Wisdom has prevailed. Very Happy

Hubris has prevailed. Laughing
JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 04:51 pm
@Ding an Sich,
It is my interpretation that virtually all perception is filtered through an interpretive process. When we are able to perceive non-interpretively (i.e., pre-cognitively or pre-reflectively) we are doing zen meditation.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 09:33 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich: "Hubris has prevailed".
That too. Wink

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 09:54 pm
@JLNobody,
JLN, Not to worry; we all suffer from some degree of hubris - don't we? LOL
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 10:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

JLN, Not to worry; we all suffer from some degree of hubris - don't we? LOL

Particularly when our pride tells us we are so much better than Jews.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 01:04 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You wrote,
Quote:
Particularly when our pride tells us we are so much better than Jews.

Show me from any of my posts that I have even suggested such stupidity? I have over 80,000 posts on a2k. You can surely find ONE.
neologist

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 11:40 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:
. . . I do not know which, if any, is true. There is simply no way to know. But you still have to believe something, right? You will have to chose. Pick something that empowers you.
Frank! Are you listening?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:20 pm
If someone in this forum actually understands The Grand Scheme of Things please PM me with your true identity so that I may sit at your feet and learn.

One can opine though that since everything is part of the Grand Scheme that everything matters. It's hard to imagine that a Grand Scheme has much room for chaffe.

What matters to us human worms? That which makes us content with our existence. This can range from wonderfully saint-like behavior to heinous crimes.