In the GRAND scheme of things, what matters?

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 06:24 pm
personal growth and bettering the quality of our relationships is the answer.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 03:32 am
...or singing while washing the dishes...
0 Replies

DerpMajor

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 02:49 pm
@komr98,
As I see it, we Earthlings are (some of) the only conscious beings in the universe; thus, I believe that it is we who bear witness to the beauty and terror of the universe, and it is we who create all meaning which is to be found in it. Because the concept of meaning is subjective and the end of a unanimous subjective congress tends to be one brain (i.e, one mind), then it up to each one of us individuals to create meaning. Unfortunately, because meaning is subjective, no two individuals may ever wholly agree on the level of meaning of a given concept like two scientists agree on a theory. Thus, what matters is, I believe, purely up to you. Practice two things: 1) trusting that what you believe to be important IS important and 2) finding more and more people who value the same things you do, with the same level of enthusiasm. Confidence and support are the two keys to a life that will matter, believe me! Also, look up existentialism; there's a whole community out there of people like you and me who suffer depression by this very question. I also recommend a book by the
name of "The Van Gogh Blues;" I hope it helps you cope with the problem of meaning like it helped me! Smile
And to answer your questions: Yes, you, I, and the earth matter. Just ask your friends and family, and the reply will be, "Of COURSE you do!" You don't have to be as large and glaringly obvious as a planet to have value. You just have to exist. Wink
I hope I answered your question.

-- Sophie
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 02:58 pm
Being healthy and having family to love . The rest is icing on the cake.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 03:01 pm
@Germlat,
Mine is slightly different than yours; being healthy, happy, and people to love.
neologist

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 03:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
But we are all brothers and sisters, ci.

Coffee?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 03:06 pm
@neologist,
No, beer or wine.
neologist

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 03:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Got a deal on OldFrothingSlosh "The Pale Stale Ale with the Foam on the Bottom"

Don't laugh, I actually drank some when I was younger.

I remember telling the folks on the beer thread that Diamond Knot brewery was opening a new pub right near my post office. Well, Carole and I went there last night and it was packed!

They have a new IPA I mean to try soon. "Ship Wreck" 9.7%. Best to bring that one home or let Carole drive, I guess.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 06:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Happiness is a fleeting sentiment...contentment is more realistic to me. Dark times will always come. Such is life. Presuming the contrary could lead to discontent.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 06:37 pm
@Germlat,
What is contentment without happiness?

BTW, contentment is also fleeting.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 06:41 pm
@komr98,
What matters to some of us, 98, besides three bottles of exotic imported brews Tuesday eve and popcorn on Friday, is the ability if not requirement to speculate on the mysteries of Her Universe

http://able2know.org/topic/232832-1
0 Replies

AaronJW

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 01:23 am
@komr98,
In the grand scheme, NOTHING matters. Not space, time, values, love, justice or even humans themselves. Not much evidence to support the latter argument either.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 06:10 pm
@AaronJW,
Then in lieu of killing yourself, you must be pursuing a life of pure pleasure. Good for you!
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 02:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
You're right. But it seems to me that the pursuit of happiness is like the pursuit of perfection...idealistic and impossible. Contentment means to be that given the circumstances you are able to be optimistic.
Germlat

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 03:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
I'm with you!!
0 Replies

IanRust

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 09:42 pm
@komr98,
Everything matters in the grand scheme. Every single little thing. But, you are not conscious of the grand scheme. For you, what matters is your experience, however you interpret that.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 04:52 pm
@IanRust,
There seems no plan because it is all plan
CS Lewis
farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 05:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
good health is temporary for everyone. So don't forget to floss
Germlat

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 05:12 pm
@IanRust,
Maybe there is no great scheme. Or maybe we are so minuscule , it matters not.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 05:31 pm
@Germlat,
One can experience happiness more often if their expectations are reasonable.
Everything in life is relative to our environment, opportunities, and level of health.
0 Replies