Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 07:35 pm
Dearest English teachers,
Can I use the in light of and because of interchangeably?
For instance I saw a cockroach yesterday,it disappeared in my room, and in light of the cockroach,I couldn't sleep well.

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 07:56 pm
@Loh Jane,
Not really. That sentence about the cockroach sounds very awkward. You could use the expression 'in light of' by reworking the sentence a bit. Example: In light of the fact that I had seen a cockroach in my room, I found it difficult to sleep that night. The point is that the 'in light of' doesn't really refer to the roach itself but, rather, to the situation now existing in your room. Often a sentence will begin with an expression like 'In light of the fact that ...' [etc.] Again, you're speaking of a situation or a fact, an event rather than a 'thing.'
Loh Jane

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 08:04 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Hi Andrei,
thanks. I have one more question, what is the difference between in light of and because of?
Lustig Andrei
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 08:13 pm
@Loh Jane,
Loh Jane wrote:

Hi Andrei,
thanks. I have one more question, what is the difference between in light of and because of?

The difference is somewhat subtle. But 'because of' implies that whatever it is you're talking about was the cause of something. 'In light of' does not imply this at all; it is just a way of saying that something will happen (or has happened) because a situation exists. Two ways to put the same thought:
(1) In light of the fact that our budget was over-extended, we decided to curtail our vacation plans.
(2) We curtailed our vacation plans because of our over-extended budget.

I said the difference is subtle. But in the first sentence you are explaining why the vacation plans were curtailed. In the secod sentece you are saying that the budget problem was, indeed, the cause.

When in doubt, I'd use 'because' rather than 'in light of'.
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 01:31 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Thank you very much.
0 Replies