2 turn 2? Please rewrite it in standard English

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 10:49 am

Context:
Sally Munro wrote: 'its so sad Katie that u felt u had no where 2 turn 2 , but uve had over 900 likes in a few hours , cant help feelin that there was more people than u knew that could have helped u thou this sweetheart , u will R.I.P now & im sendin my love 2 all ure cousin, s i know, as they now need the love & support xxx (sic)'

More:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316074/Girl-12-hangs-home-tormented-online-hair-choice-clothes.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 670 • Replies: 12
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 11:10 am
@oristarA,
2 turn 2 is apparently the phonetic spelling of "to turn to...."
0 Replies

dalehileman
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 11:16 am
@oristarA,
Sally Munro wrote: "It's so sad Katie you felt nowhere to turn, but after 900 'likes' in only a few hours I can't help feeling that more people than you can imagine might also have helped you". Hoping you'll R.I.P, , sweetheart, I'm sending my love herewith, as well as to of both your cousins as I'm sure they now also need our love & support. To all, my most sincere xxx (sic)' (whatever that means)

Ori it was sheer guesswork
oristarA

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 03:17 pm
Thank you both.

BTW, who would like to offer a link to Katie Webb's photo?
Poor girl, RIP
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 09:43 pm
@dalehileman,
"It's so sad Katie you felt you had nowhere to turn to
dalehileman

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 12:24 pm
@JTT,
I suppose JTT that technically you're quite right but I interpret the rules more liberally to minimize alliteration etc
contrex

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 12:56 pm
'its so sad Katie that u felt u had no where 2 turn 2 , but uve had over 900 likes in a few hours , cant help feelin that there was more people than u knew that could have helped u thou this sweetheart , u will R.I.P now & im sendin my love 2 all ure cousin, s i know, as they now need the love & support xxx (sic)'

No wonder teachers despair; my girlfriend recruits for technical hospital jobs and gets applications where the "about yourself" sections are written in this style.

I believe the (sic) was added by the Daily Mail - it seems a little scholarly to be written by the author of that quote. It is Latin and means "so" - it is used to make clear that the errors appearing form part of the original text, and only seems to make sense if it was added later.
oristarA

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 08:50 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

'its so sad Katie that u felt u had no where 2 turn 2 , but uve had over 900 likes in a few hours , cant help feelin that there was more people than u knew that could have helped u thou this sweetheart , u will R.I.P now & im sendin my love 2 all ure cousin, s i know, as they now need the love & support xxx (sic)'

No wonder teachers despair; my girlfriend recruits for technical hospital jobs and gets applications where the "about yourself" sections are written in this style.

I believe the (sic) was added by the Daily Mail - it seems a little scholarly to be written by the author of that quote. It is Latin and means "so" - it is used to make clear that the errors appearing form part of the original text, and only seems to make sense if it was added later.

I feel particularly uncomfortable when reading such writing, even if I could get it clearly. The author's sincerity and solemnity is doubtful, at least in its appearances.

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 10:32 am
@oristarA,
I believe the sentiments are sincere and solemn considering that they are most likely coming from an adolescent.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 10:53 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
I suppose JTT that technically you're quite right but I interpret the rules more liberally to minimize alliteration etc

Dale, you wrote,

It's so sad Katie you felt nowhere to turn.

That's not even grammatical. 'you had' is needed between 'felt' and 'nowhere'.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 11:17 am
@JTT,
Quote:
That's not even grammatical.
No JTT but it's mellifluous
JTT

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 11:24 am
@dalehileman,
Ungrammatical is hardly mellifluous, Dale.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 12:33 pm
@JTT,
Ok then JTT, http://thesaurus.com/browse/slang?s=t
0 Replies