Perry Outraged by Cartoon Explosions

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 08:38 am
Shamelessly stolen from PDiddie's blog:

Rick Perry outraged by cartoon explosions, not real ones
Jack Ohman and I were on the same wavelength last week. And for the first time in a very long time, something published in a newspaper got the governor's attention.

Gov. Rick Perry said Friday he's disgusted a California newspaper ran a cartoon that depicts him boasting about booming business in Texas, then shows an explosion, a week after a fertilizer plant explosion killed 14 people in a Texas town.

Perry said he wants an apology from the Sacramento Bee on behalf of the town.

The cartoon in Thursday's edition shows Perry crowing that "Business is Booming," flanked by signs saying "Low Tax!" and "'Low Regs!" It's a play on the Republican's often-repeated mantra that his state's low-regulation, business-friendly climate has its economy humming.

The next panel reads "Boom!" as a blast engulfs the area behind the governor and his signs.
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/lt_cache/thumbnail/615/img/photos/2013/04/26/93/a9/cartoon.jpg
In a letter to the Bee's editor, Perry said it "was with extreme disgust and disappointment I viewed your recent cartoon."

"While I will always welcome healthy policy debate, I won't stand for someone mocking the tragic deaths of my fellow Texans and our fellow Americans," Perry wrote. "Additionally, publishing this on the very day our state and nation paused to honor and mourn those who died only compounds the pain and suffering of the many Texans who lost family and friends in this disaster."

Ohman is, of course, mocking Perry and not the dead of West, and even Perry is smart enough to understand that. Which is why he's crying like a Boehner about it.

The Bee's editorial page editor, Stuart Leavenworth, responded Friday that the artist, Jack Ohman, "made a strong statement about Gov. Rick Perry's disregard for worker safety, and his attempts to market Texas as a place where industries can thrive with few regulations."

"It is unfortunate that Gov. Perry, and some on the blogosphere, have attempted to interpret the cartoon as being disrespectful for the victims of this tragedy," Leavenworth said. "As Ohman has made clear on his blog, he has complete empathy for the victims and people living by the plant.

"What he finds offensive is a governor who would gamble with the lives of families by not pushing for the strongest safety regulations. Perry's letter is an attempt to distract people from that message."

Rick Perry is, as we know, the guy who ignored every Texas newspaper editorial board on his way to re-election in 2010. Rick Perry is the guy who brags about how great the Texas economy is when the state has the most minimum wage jobs in the nation. Rick Perry is the guy who, in his pitch to out-of-state businessmen, makes analogies of burning buildings about to collapse. And he is also the guy who believes that Texans, with their ballots, have endorsed all of his lazy-ass-faire libertarian notions of regulation.

You cannot make these things up. Rick Perry has exposed himself on a weekly basis for the past two years as the King of All Buffoons, and appears (with an indignant response to a cartoon) to have finally realized that we're onto him. When even the Texas Republicans in the state legislature are tired of your act...

I have to say I am still doubtful, however, that the greater ramifications of Ohman's cartoon will successfully penetrate our governor's dense mind. I just don't think his brain can be fracked. He's been such a national laughingstock for so long that it's hard for me to see anything that occurs outside of his tea bubble will actually influence his actions. That David Dewhurst -- who has a lot of fencing to mend with the extremes in the TXGOP -- would go a step further and demand Ohman's firing is evidence that the Glenn Beck caucus, Texas chapter thinks there is still mileage to be gotten out of strenuously objecting to a cartoon.

Cartoons, as you may recall, were what resulted in the fatwahs against both Danish and American cartoonists in the past ten years. And that is essentially the state of play in the Lone Star State today: Texas is right on the verge of becoming the Afghanistan of the western world. That's where the Tea Party has brought us.

Either the people who vote in the GOP primary in Texas will put an end to this bullshit, or they won't. It's up to them.

Hurry up, Battleground Texas.
Posted by PDiddie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 4,461 • Replies: 41

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 11:14 am
Don't forget the dumbass wants your vote for president in 2016.
oralloy

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 12:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Gov. Rick Perry said Friday he's disgusted a California newspaper ran a cartoon that depicts him boasting about booming business in Texas, then shows an explosion, a week after a fertilizer plant explosion killed 14 people in a Texas town.

Rick Perry intentionally executes innocent people for fun.

Nevermind the fact that there is nothing to apologize for regarding the cartoon, what gives that freak the idea that he is due any sort of consideration whatsoever, no matter what the circumstances?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 12:55 pm
The puzzling thing about the man is that he is our longest serving governor and there are a lot of Texans who still cannot see through his policies after so much time.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 08:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
That dumb-ass Obama can't run in 2016
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 08:24 pm
@H2O MAN,
That's why we have Hillary, genius.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 09:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

LOL!

Yes, please nominate Hillary for 2016
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 09:31 pm
Out of tragedy; Political Opportunity.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 09:51 pm
Being perfectly honest about it, I don't see a candidate for 2016 that I want to support. Hillary strikes me as too much like Obama and I have issues with him. Biden is too old. Cuomo does not endear himself to me. I plan to vote for a Democrat I may not like if the Republicans don't move away from the Tea Party. If the Republicans repudiate the Tea Party I likely will look for a third party.
oralloy

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 10:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Not a chance. After Obama's gun control debacle, the Republicans are going to retake the White House in 2016.

Obama just frittered away all of his political capital in a childish assault against the NRA, and now he has nothing left with which to achieve anything in his second term. If he gets immigration reform, it will only be because the Republicans want it even more than he does. By the time 2016 rolls around, the voters will be sick and tired of his do-nothing presidency, and they will be more than ready to change which party controls the White House.

The fact that the Democrats now want to double down on their failure and make gun control the central topic of the 2014 elections is only going to make things even worse for them. Keeping the NRA all riled up through 2014 and into the presidential season is a recipe for massive Democratic defeat.

That said, I am horrified by the way Rick Perry deliberately executes innocent people, and I really hope the Republicans don't nominate him.

I hope Jeb gets it. I liked the first two Bush presidencies, and I could go for another 8 years of having a Bush in the White House.
JTT

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 10:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Absolutely everything that has been said about Perry in this post proves that he is THEE perfect Republican candidate for 2016. He is GWB reincarnate, but possibly, just possibly, even dumber.

I've often wondered aloud, why is it that Republicans always seem to go for the dumbest, most despicable "humans" possible?

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 10:55 pm
@edgarblythe,

How can democrats top 8 years of Obama, I mean he is
sort of a God that sends chills up the legs of grown men.
What other democrat could do that in 2016?
JTT

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 11:00 pm
@H2O MAN,
Which hand are you using to stroke your "gun", h20guy?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 11:16 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
He is GWB reincarnate

W never intentionally executed someone he knew was innocent.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 07:01 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Being perfectly honest about it, I don't see a candidate for 2016 that I want to support.

Pure genius.
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 07:16 am
@H2O MAN,
It all points to president "Extra Crispy"

Noone in their right mind would even consider Perry for president. His capital has been spent along with the Newts and the entire crowd from this past election.

Even Bobby Jindhal is toast bread.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 07:27 am
@farmerman,

Didn't Hillary already loose to Obama? ... she's toast and I don't see any shinning
stars in the democrat party. The left has shot their proverbial wad with Obama.
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 07:31 am
@H2O MAN,
Were pretty much devoid of intelligent life all around. Thats why Im voting for Christie.

Bill Clinton has sold the honor of the presidency for cash money and so thatll bleed into anything Hillary is hoping for. In the same token, GW Bush is acting like a mindless tool with his "oil paintings" that anything Jeb may hope for would be cancelled out by having W in the cellar
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 07:35 am
@farmerman,
Christie?

http://www.liveanimalslist.com/interesting-animals/images/white-rhinoceros.jpg

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 07:40 am
@H2O MAN,
NO, MORE LIKE

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7DXP-_gmD74/UNqYGX_eQNI/AAAAAAAAB3Q/h-Y9Y3dpM2Q/s1600/Walrus+Wildlife.jpg
0 Replies