English Grammar

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 05:22 am
Dearest English teachers,
are my sentences below acceptable? Thanks in advance.
1)May I ask your name?
2)May I have your name?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 709 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
Ragman
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 05:46 am
@Loh Jane,
both are fine
Loh Jane

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 05:53 am
@Ragman,
Hi Ragman,
thank you very much. I have one more question.How do people mark an essay? Is grammar more important or vocabulary? I have completed three grammars and my writing skill is still very weak. I always forget the grammar rules.
Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 08:41 am
@Loh Jane,
I'm not sure how to answer this in a way that you can find most useful.

In USA and essay here could be judged using different criteria than if you're located and being marked in another country where English is a second language.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 11:17 pm
@Loh Jane,
Quote:
How do people mark an essay? Is grammar more important or vocabulary? I have completed three grammars and my writing skill is still very weak. I always forget the grammar rules.

That's not an easy question to answer, Jane. You see, there's been this huge problem that has existed for a few hundred years. Back in the 18th century, a number of writers began to invent spurious [false] rules for English grammar. The result has been that many English speakers have been taught many false rules about the English language.

That native speakers of English were taught false rules didn't matter because the false rules don't stick/stay with us. Because false rules are unnatural, nobody remembers them or follows them.

With the explosion of English as a world language, and with the Chomskyan revolution in the study of language, things are starting to change. But there are still many many ignorant teachers/professors when it comes to English grammar and how English really works.

I'm sad to say that these centuries long false rules have had the greatest affect on ESL/EFLs.

I can say with absolute certainty that you have been subjected to many of these same false rules in those three grammars you have studied. I know, from having taught ESL in SE Asia for close to a quarter century that ESL students are being badly, badly misled on the rules of English.

Read these two paragraphs from a noted US language scientist.

Quote:
For here are the remarkable facts. Most of the prescriptive rules [false rules] of the language mavens make no sense on any level. They are bits of folklore that originated for screwball reasons several hundred years ago and have perpetuated themselves ever since. For as long as they have existed, speakers have flouted them, spawning identical plaints about the imminent decline of the language century after century.

All the best writers in English have been among the flagrant flouters. The rules conform neither to logic nor tradition, and if they were ever followed they would force writers into fuzzy, clumsy, wordy, ambiguous, incomprehensible prose, in which certain thoughts are not expressible at all. Indeed, most of the "ignorant errors" these rules are supposed to correct display an elegant logic and an acute sensitivity to the grammatical texture of the language, to which the mavens are oblivious.

The scandal of the language mavens began in the 18th Century. The London dialect had become an important world language, and scholars began to criticize it as they would any institution, in part to question the authority of the aristocracy. Latin was considered the language of enlightenment and learning and it was offered as an ideal of precision and logic to which English should aspire. The period also saw unprecedented social mobility, and anyone who wanted to distinguish himself as cultivated had to master the best version of English.

These trends created a demand for handbooks and style manuals, which were soon shaped by market forces: the manuals tried to outdo one another by including greater numbers of increasingly fastidious rules that no refined person could afford to ignore. Most of the hobgoblins of contemporary prescriptive grammar (don't split infinitives, don't end a sentence with a preposition) can be traced back to these 18th Century fads.

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articles/media/1994_01_24_thenewrepublic.html
Loh Jane

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:18 am
@JTT,
Thanks.
I have realized how weak my English is.
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 10:55 am
@Loh Jane,
Quote:
I have realized how weak my English is.

That's not true at all, Jane. Your English is really quite good. Why don't you try to write a short daily diary here at A2K - Jane's life and times, for example. It doesn't have to be true, you can make do it make believe. That'll give you the opportunity to write paragraphs, to have more context which is the only way even native speakers learn how to write.

Context is vitally important to determining the grammatical structure we choose to use in our writing.

Can/May/Could I ask you some questions about the grammar that you have been taught?
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 11:53 am
@Loh Jane,
Jane, I want to recommend the last grammar book that you'll ever need. It's less than $20 US. I saw used copies as low as about $7US.

37 used from $6.98

Read the reviews for it at,

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2506MTVHPEYT8/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2506MTVHPEYT8

Here's the first one, written by Geoff Pullum, one of the co-authors of The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language

Quote:
This is the finest work of scholarship on English grammar and usage I have ever seen, in thirty years of doing research on English grammar. One grouchy reviewer on this page gives it a one-star put-down and grumbles that it is unreliable, advocating a return to Fowler, or Strunk and White. Don't believe it. The stiff and constricting prescriptions of those older works are in fact often unfounded. The third edition of Fowler (prepared by Burchfield) is not an improvement, and actually gets grammatical points wrong (and I means things like giving examples that are not in fact examples of the point at issue). The Merriam-Webster book is on a different level of scholarship. The example collection is magnificent, the analysis is intelligent and accurate, and where it says something is now acceptable literate usage you can trust it. Of course, if you want silly advice, like "never end a sentence with a preposition" or "never split an infinitive", you won't find it: there are irrational prejudices in the English usage field, and this book lends them no support. But this is because it demands EVIDENCE and ARGUMENT concerning the points it treats; it is not content simply to pass on dogmas and myths from past centuries. I was particularly struck by the fantastic value of this book: Amazon brought it to my door for shipping included -- and this is a 990-page large-format hardback! BUY THIS BOOK. You can't afford not to if you have any serious interest in English grammar.
0 Replies

Loh Jane

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 07:30 pm
@JTT,
Hi JTT good morning,
of course you can,please ask.
0 Replies