oxgang, sikkative

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:40 pm
The two words might not be of English. Whatever... let them be. I'd like to know what they mean. Razz Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,690 • Replies: 24
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:49 pm
Not in my dictionary
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:03 am
An oxgang is the english version of a bovate. Which is a unit of measurement for area. Reports vary as to what it equals.

Sikkative is something used mainly in oil painting to speed up drying time.
Don't know what it actually consists of.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:58 am
Nice Adrian. Smile

Could you tell us the source of the definition of the Sikkative?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:18 am
On my deed search on my own property I saw the term oxgang. My origenal deed was a land grant from the Pennfamily and goes back to the early 1700s so the term oxgang was used to describe a unit of acreage. It was about 11 acres(but this has varied according to my references on surveying in Colonial times). So if I say, "Ill deed you 10 oxgangs",Im saying that your gonna get 110 acres .An oxgang or a "bovate" was the amount of land a team of oxen could plow in a day. The dissimilarity in units had to do with standard ox teams and land characteristics. An oxgang in Early New England would be a lot less than one would be in the Tidewater
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 12:32 am
Wow, farmerman, the post has made your screenname truer.
Thanks for reply. Smile
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 12:46 am
Oristar, you make my brain hurt. Smile

Why don't you learn ordinary English before you start on the extraordinarily difficult stuff?

I don't know about sikkative (although there is a paint company, Norwegian I think, that makes a wood treatment, called Sikkens. May be related to your question, I don't know.

My oldest, biggest dictionary gives this for OXGANG: (obsolete, exclusively historical) The eighth part of the CARUCATE or ploughland, varying from 10 to 18 acres, or more; a bovate

I had never heard the words sikkative, oxgang or bovate before; and now that I have, I'll try to forget them again Smile
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 07:51 pm
It seems that sikkative is german for siccative which should be in your english dictionary oristarA.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 08:02 pm
farmerman wrote:
. An oxgang in Early New England would be a lot less than one would be in the Tidewater

A whole lot less. I worked at Old Sturbridge Village Museum in the early 70's and we thought we were doing great if we did an acre in a day.
Did you know that New England rocks will intentionally line themselves up in front of a plow and that if you move them to the other side of the field they will run back and do it again?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 08:05 pm
Acq - you worked at Sturbridge village!?! Farming?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 08:18 pm
Yes, the Freeman Farm. I had lunch today with an other former interpreter, she and I talked over old times.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 09:08 pm
I heard a line about New England Farming

"Where'd all these rocks come from?"

Glaciers brought em

"Whered the glaciers go?"

Back to get more rocks
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 11:36 pm
When I was at school, we learned of an invention, important to early agriculture in N America: the stump-jumping plough.

Maybe a rock-hopping plow was not available in early New England. (not sure of the dates)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 11:41 pm
Well done, Adrian. I checked in my dictionary after your hint. Should have realised relationship with commoner words like desiccate.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 12:34 am
Ah, the old stump jump plough. Invented by Richard and Clarence Smith. Brothers from South Australia. One of the more famous and useful Aussie inventions.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 01:10 am
"Sikkative" is, as said correctly above German, misspelled however: it should be correctly: "sikkatif". Means "dried", from Latin 'siccare'/ 'siccus'.
Was used mainly in art for metal soaps, which were a kind additiv for colours to dry faster.

(That's, why the Norwegian paint is called so, I think :wink: ).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 01:16 am
'oxgang' is of Germanic origin.
In Denmark, e.g. an 'oxgang' is/was an agricultural unit (used in Danelaw). The area consisted of the amount of land a farmer with one oxen could plough when joined to a team of eight. An oxgang was probably one eighth to one tenth the size of a ploughland.

... and a ploughland is the amount of land a farmer with a team of eight oxen can plough. The exact area is not known but must have been in the region of 80 to 120 acres.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 08:20 am
It is wonderful that Adrian has digged out siccative to match the bizarre word sikkative, and thus presented McTag a nightmare because it will be impossible to forget the word again. Razz Very Happy
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:26 pm
yes it is siccative and it is speeds up the drying of oil paint (it can be petrol based).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:43 pm
You are certainly correct, Vivian, but when writing it the German way with double "k", it really is sikkatif :wink:
0 Replies