Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 05:43 am
Dearest English teachers,
I need help again. I am not sure if my sentences below are acceptable, please tell me, thanks in advance.
1)What type of food do you want?
2)What food do you want?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 578 • Replies: 14
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 06:13 am
They are acceptable, but they don't mean the same thing. They are also both unlikely. The first sentence is only likely to be used by a native speaker if one were trying to decide, for example, what restaurant one wished to visit.

"Nearby, there's a Thai restaurant, a Greek restaurant and a rib house. What type of food do you want?"

I cannot think of an instance in which a native speaker would use the second sentence, but it's not impossible.

"Well, have a look at what's in the refrigerator, and we'll make a lunch with what we find there. What food do you want?"

Both sentences, while not in any way incorrect, just sound improbable.

Loh Jane

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:00 am
@Setanta,
Dearest Setanta,
thanks. Once I have passed the English tests, I will stop studying an English grammar for a week.
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:07 am
@Loh Jane,
You don't of course have to answer, but i'm curious: is Mandarin your native language?

(you would write: ". . I will stop studying English grammar for a week.")
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:24 am
@Setanta,
Yes,my parents studied Mandarin only and they did not study English . So they can't guide me at all but schools teach English and deliver all most subjects and most modules in English.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:26 am
Is the motive commercial? I mean, is English studied because it is, to a large extent, the language of international commerce?
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:26 am
@Setanta,
Will you still forget Grammar rules occasionally
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:32 am
@Setanta,
I think so because Singapore has many different races and we need to communicate with each other frequently.
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:33 am
@Loh Jane,
It is not really a part of my day-to-day life. It only becomes important because of my participation here. However, for more than twenty years in my professional life, i was a free-lance small business manager, or worked full-time as a business manager for small businesses. My experience was that the English used in business was very conservative, and that one's image with governmental agencies, with clients or potential clients and one's peers in whatever area of business one pursued was significantly affected by how well one could express one's self in writing. It was, therefore, important to me to write clearly, concisely and correctly.

Some people these days, for example, will say that double negatives don't matter, and that they are not in fact incorrect. (An example would be: "He don't make no sense.") But there is a certain large and important segment of the literate population who consider double negatives wrong. It would be foolish to ignore this. This is especially true in business relations, where people will be harshly judged for not using what that community considers proper English.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:35 am
@Loh Jane,
Ah, so English becomes the day-to-day language in Singapore? Is Malay a significant language there?
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:43 am
@Setanta,
No,Malay is not.But most Singaporeans' English is still weak because we rarely speak English here. Dearest Setanta, where do you stay?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:46 am
Toronto.
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 07:53 am
@Setanta,
Are you a Canadian?Do you like dogs a lot?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 08:09 am
I am an American. Yes, i do like dogs, and i like Canadians, too (well, some of them).
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 08:21 am
@Setanta,
Good night Setanta,
I have seven hours left to sleep.
0 Replies