Is word clease used properly here?

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 08:58 pm

Context:
Wenzhou (Women's Health) - For the past couple of months our readers have been going crazy over a risk-free internet product that is helping women across the world lose the fat around their bodies. It has been featured on many popular TV shows.

A lot of celebrities, like Janet Jackson, Kylie Minogue and Nicole Kidman, have lost a significant amount of body fat with just this one diet cleanse. The cleanse is clinically proven to flush out all the junk in your body and increase your metabolism without harming your immune system. Keep reading and you'll find out why we created this special report.

You see, losing weight often feels like an impossible challenge. We have evaluated numerous fad diets over the years. All too frequently their results are just shy of painfully disappointing.

More:
http://womenshealth6.org/health/diet/index.htm?t202id=716414&c1=
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 802 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Ceili
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 09:11 pm
@oristarA,
Yes. A cleanse is usually a fasting type diet. Where by you drink a "special" mix that is supposed to clean out your colon and then all kinds of miraculous things can happen, based on what ever snake oil you buy into. Your example is just another version of a fad diet.
I seriously doubt any of the actresses/musicians listed have ever even heard of this stuff, or lost significant weight, as at least two out of three have never had any real weight on them.
oristarA

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 09:22 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Yes. A cleanse is usually a fasting type diet. Where by you drink a "special" mix that is supposed to clean out your colon and then all kinds of miraculous things can happen, based on what ever snake oil you buy into. Your example is just another version of a fad diet.
I seriously doubt any of the actresses/musicians listed have ever even heard of this stuff, or lost significant weight, as at least two out of three have never had any real weight on them.

It has been used as a noun, while all my dictionaries show it is just a verb.

I agree with you that no celebs have actually taken such diet.
Ceili

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 09:42 pm
@oristarA,
Psychics often do a cleanse homes or spirits or whatever.
Native americans do sweats in sweat lodges or tents, this is often referred to as a cleanse.
Maybe it's a fairly new twist on the word. I don't know. Its english, it changes with the wind.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 03:21 pm
@oristarA,
There are many cleansers on the market from face cleansers to sink cleansers.
In your sample, 'with just this one diet cleanse." I would have used 'cleanser.'
Forms of 'cleanse' can be a verb or a noun; depends on how it is used.
0 Replies