Help with (Sailing) Ships Of Antiquity, Please?

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 01:03 pm
Hi! Smile

Well, I am suddenly very interested in the history of shipping. Must have been a program I saw on the Disc. Channel last week. Trouble was that it was full of holes, not really giving enough information to begin research; not enough for me, anyway.

What I am asking for is, a link or two as a place to start. I want to find a complete listing (well, as complete as possible) of all sailing vessels, so that I can research them individualy to find out how and why they are classified; you know, what makes a Cog a Cog, by who and when it was developed, ect.

Great thanks for your time,
H.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,464 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 01:10 pm
The

"The Mother of All Maritime Links"

should provide you with everything you want - a site, btw, which is noted in the Portal here as well :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 01:17 pm
Two more links:

Through Mighty Seas
(ships from NW England and Isle of Man)

Sailing Ship Archive
(amateurish, but not bad at all)
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 01:19 pm
Wow! Just in time, Walter; I'm about to continue my reading of the "Hornblower" series.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 01:58 pm
George: If you want a quick lesson in telling a brig from a brigantine, check out this site. For a silhouette view of the elusive and mysterious "hermaphrodite brig" (sounds like a prison for trans-sexuals), check out this site.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 02:03 pm
And what's the name of this
http://www.segeln-neuruppin.de/images/kutter_320.jpg
Joe :wink:
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 02:35 pm
Thanks for the references -- I love that sea-faring talk. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to practice using the futtock shouds (wouldn't do to be seen crawling through the lubber hole).
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 02:38 pm
The name of that boat is the "Saucy Sue"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 02:40 pm
George wrote:
Thanks for the references -- I love that sea-faring talk. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to practice using the futtock shouds (wouldn't do to be seen crawling through the lubber hole).

Okay whistling :wink:
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 04:32 pm
Walter: Well, that's a two-masted fore-and-aft rigged vessel with the first mast taller than the aft mast. It appears that the steering position is behind the aft mast, so I would have to conclude that it is a ketch.

I cannot make out the name, so I cannot establish that is called the "Saucy Sue." If you look closely, however, you can see a bumper sticker on the back that reads: "My other boat is an Aegis-class destroyer."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 04:46 pm
Well, a ketch is a sailing vessel with two masts, the recognized description being that the mizen is stepped before the rudder-head, while in a yawl it is stepped abaft it. This, however, is not an exact definition, the true difference between the two rigs depending more on the size of the mizen-sail; if the difference depended on the position of the mizen-mast, most of the yawl-rigged beach boats would be ketches.

Actually, it is a so-called "Marine-Kutter", which is no cutter but a ketch with a cutter rigging.

Can be used both as rudder boat (had to do such in the first month of my Navy career Sad ) or as a sailing boat (was sailing the Kiell-week twice [as reserve exercise] Very Happy

You are correct about the sticker :wink: (Honestly, our boats had "real" Nato numbers during the Kiel week "Y-something")
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:26 pm
SAILING SHIPS
if you are looking for specific information (quite detailed) on any sailship you might find this site of interest, but you'd need to know the ship's name first. using google you should be able to come up with plenty of names. you need to click on the union jack to get the english version. good luck ! >>>TALL SHIPS
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:59 pm
SAILING SHIPS
here is an article about the tall-ships from "the flying P line" out of hamburg. all the ships started with the letter P : pamir, potosi, priwall ... i still remember those ships coming into the port of hamburg in the late 1930's. i think i might actually have an old photo my dad took of one of the ships while in the harbour. hbg >>>FLYING P LINE
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:04 pm
SAILING SHIPS
here is another (master)website with plenty of information and illustrations about tall ships. hbg >>>TALL SHIPS
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:54 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Actually, it is a so-called "Marine-Kutter", which is no cutter but a ketch with a cutter rigging.

Does that make it a "hermaphrodite ketch"?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:59 pm
Hmm, likely, especially, since those boats are no aphrodites Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:11 am
Good information. Everyone here thinks Passat is a motor car only. Sistership tp Pamir, I think.

Walter, a rudder boat (Ruderboot) is a rowing boat. Propelled by oars. (Which are found on the quayside at Portsmouth and Keil Smile )
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:22 am
Oops Embarrassed

However, McTag, that one I was speaking of, was propelled* by young seamen http://www.marine-jugend-muenster.de/seesport/pullen.jpg :wink:

* "pullen" its is in German - hamburger will know this term :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 11:55 am
mctag : the "pamir" came to a gruesome end after having been converted to cargo-carrying sail-schoolship : " 21 September 1957
The Pamir was tragically lost in a hurricane when her cargo of grain had shifted. Of the 86 men on board only six survived. ". ... i knew what walter meant by his "rudderboat'. i guess it's another on of those quirks of the english language : ' the sailors use oars to row the rowingboat -here in canada it's a " rowboat " , not many people would use the word rowing boat, i believe '. in german it would be : " die matrosen rudern das ruderboot mit den rudern '. are there enough R's for a scots in here ? ............................................................................................................. walter : we used to borrow a small rowboat from a shipyard and row around the harbour; at one time we got as far as blankenese taking advantage of the ebb-tide, trying to get upstream against the still running tide is another story ! when i was the only "oarsman' and wanted to take my girlfriend out on the water, i would take just one oar (ruder) and use it in a sweeping motion imitating a screw, i think it was called "wricken". pretty hard work and too exhausting for any monkey-business ! hbg
0 Replies

harmonic

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 01:40 pm
Oh boy.. Shocked

Wow, there is more to this than I ever imagined! Thanks for the great links. Very Happy The subject of sailing is very interesting, and I am setting out to educate myself as much as possible. One thing that is confusing me a little is the term "bent"; In descriptions, I am reading about a sail being "bent" to a certain yard. What exactly does this mean?

Thanks again!
0 Replies