Fellow Bostonians: How many of us wished we had an assault weapon last night?

Glennn

Thu 28 Nov, 2019 08:21 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Post on Glenn.

Well as long as you asked, someone posted a reference to 44 school shootings in 46 weeks, and they are using that list to push the idea that children are being slaughtered at school. So we're going to look at those "school shootings" one at a time to discover whether or not they are being exaggerated.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

A 30-year-old student was shot in the chest and killed in a Texas State Technical College housing facility. Police believe the 20-year-old shooter and the victim were involved in a relationship dispute that turned into a physical fight.

A Texas State Technical College student arrested on a murder charge early Sunday shot a fellow student in the chest with a shotgun after a two-hour argument over their relationship that turned into a physical fight.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

So, is this your idea of school children being slaughtered, and a reason to ban guns? Simple yes or no. Then we can move on to the next shooting on the list. If you assume a "no comment" position, we'll move on to the next shooting on the list anyway.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 29 Nov, 2019 01:50 am
@Glennn,
The disease and darkened lungs are not proven to be caused by tobacco smoking. You're inferring a cause and effect relationship.

A pistol grip allows for faster and more accurate shooting.

So then you don't think a pistol grip is an ergonomic improvement?
Glennn

Sat 30 Nov, 2019 04:28 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
The disease and darkened lungs are not proven to be caused by tobacco smoking.

Before I go to the trouble of correcting you, why don't you cite something to the effect that smoking does not cause disease.
Quote:

Wrong! You have yet to back up that claim.
Quote:

Oh it's an ergonomic improvement. But you're still trying to justify your unfounded suspicion that this simple ergonomic improvement is some kind of revolutionary breakthrough that dramatically turns a rifle into an especially dangerous gun. And that's ridiculous.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, someone posted a reference to 44 school shootings in 46 weeks, and they are using that list to push the idea that children are being slaughtered at school. So we're going to look at those "school shootings" one at a time to discover whether or not they are being exaggerated.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

A 30-year-old student was shot in the chest and killed in a Texas State Technical College housing facility. Police believe the 20-year-old shooter and the victim were involved in a relationship dispute that turned into a physical fight.

A Texas State Technical College student arrested on a murder charge early Sunday shot a fellow student in the chest with a shotgun after a two-hour argument over their relationship that turned into a physical fight.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

So, is this your idea of school children being slaughtered, and a reason to ban guns? Simple yes or no. Then we can move on to the next shooting on the list. If you assume a "no comment" position, we'll move on to the next shooting on the list anyway.
izzythepush

Sun 1 Dec, 2019 05:36 am
Quote:
A 65-year-old American man who rigged his home with a booby trap to keep out intruders has been killed by the device.

Ronald Cyr called police in the town of Van Buren in the state of Maine to say he had been shot.

Police found a door had been designed to fire a handgun should anyone attempt to enter. Mr Cyr was taken to hospital but died of his injuries.

It is not uncommon for home-owners to install such traps - but it is illegal.

Police in Van Buren, which borders the Canadian province of New Brunswick, said they responded to a 911 call in the early evening of Thanksgiving, last Thursday, from a man who said he had been shot.

"Following an extensive investigation that lasted into the early morning... it was determined that Mr Cyr had been shot as the result of the unintentional discharge of one of his homemade devices," the police department said in a Facebook post.

"Regretfully, Mr Cyr succumbed to the injuries he sustained from the gunshot."

It is not known how he managed to set off the device.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50619952
InfraBlue

Mon 2 Dec, 2019 05:51 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
The disease and darkened lungs are not proven to be caused by tobacco smoking.

Before I go to the trouble of correcting you, why don't you cite something to the effect that smoking does not cause disease.

There are no controlled experiments that show a causal relationship between disease and darkened lungs and tobacco use.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

Wrong! You have yet to back up that claim.

It's inferred. Like what you're doing with disease and tobacco use.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

Oh it's an ergonomic improvement. But you're still trying to justify your unfounded suspicion that this simple ergonomic improvement is some kind of revolutionary breakthrough that dramatically turns a rifle into an especially dangerous gun. And that's ridiculous.

I didn't say anything about a "revolutionary breakthrough that dramatically turns a rifle into an especially dangerous gun." I said these features make a rifle especially dangerous.
Glennn

Mon 2 Dec, 2019 08:26 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
There are no controlled experiments that show a causal relationship between disease and darkened lungs and tobacco use.

You are stating that smoking cigarettes does not darken the lungs. Here is something that will enlighten you concerning that misconception.

https://www.health24.com/Medical/Asthma/Living-with-asthma/see-this-is-what-your-lungs-look-like-when-you-smoke-20160916

As to your misconception concerning cigarettes and disease:

According to the CDC:
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Smoking accounts for the vast majority of lung cancer deaths, causing 90 percent of all lung cancer deaths in men and about 80 percent in women. In 2000, a Surgeon General report revealed that tobacco smoke contains more than 4,000 chemical compounds, with 43 being known carcinogens..
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I trust you understand what is meant by "carcinogens."
Quote:
I didn't say anything about a "revolutionary breakthrough that dramatically turns a rifle into an especially dangerous gun." I said these features make a rifle especially dangerous.

That's a distinction without a difference, meaning that you have yet to show that a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle makes it especially dangerous.
Glennn

Mon 2 Dec, 2019 11:08 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
It's inferred. Like what you're doing with disease and tobacco use

I inferred nothing. I've already shown your claim that cigarettes don't darken the lungs or cause diseases to be false.

So here you are now trying to make the point that the actual effects of cigarettes on a biological organism can be compared to the imagined effect of a pistol-grip on a rifle. And that's just you being silly. You cannot show that a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle makes it especially dangerous.
InfraBlue

Tue 3 Dec, 2019 01:40 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

You are stating that smoking cigarettes does not darken the lungs. Here is something that will enlighten you concerning that misconception.

https://www.health24.com/Medical/Asthma/Living-with-asthma/see-this-is-what-your-lungs-look-like-when-you-smoke-20160916

As to your misconception concerning cigarettes and disease:

According to the CDC:
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Smoking accounts for the vast majority of lung cancer deaths, causing 90 percent of all lung cancer deaths in men and about 80 percent in women. In 2000, a Surgeon General report revealed that tobacco smoke contains more than 4,000 chemical compounds, with 43 being known carcinogens..

I trust you understand what is meant by "carcinogens."

Sure, there aren't any controlled experiments showing a causal relationship, however. These conclusions are all inferred. Can you say "inference?"
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

That's a distinction without a difference, meaning that you have yet to show that a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle makes it especially dangerous.

I've also inferred my conclusion about these features including pistol grips.
InfraBlue

Tue 3 Dec, 2019 01:43 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
It's inferred. Like what you're doing with disease and tobacco use

I inferred nothing. I've already shown your claim that cigarettes don't darken the lungs or cause diseases to be false.

That is not my claim.

The conclusions you've provided are inferences, however.

Glenn wrote:
So here you are now trying to make the point that the actual effects of cigarettes on a biological organism can be compared to the imagined effect of a pistol-grip on a rifle. And that's just you being silly. You cannot show that a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle makes it especially dangerous.

I've also inferred a conclusion.
0 Replies

Glennn

Wed 4 Dec, 2019 12:02 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
there aren't any controlled experiments showing a causal relationship, however. These conclusions are all inferred. Can you say "inference?"

Well let's see. Cigarette smoke contains carcinogens. Carcinogens are known to cause cancer. There are 43 known carcinogens in cigarette smoke. The CDC has stated that 90% of all lung cancer deaths are caused by cigarette smoke. And from those facts, you infer that 90% of all lung cancer deaths are not caused by carcinogen-containing cigarette smoke. Gotcha!
Quote:
There are no controlled experiments that show a causal relationship between disease and darkened lungs and tobacco use

Concerning the photos of the side-by-side comparison of a smoker's and a non smoker's lungs seen at the link I provided, what do you infer from those photos regarding the cause of the darkening of the dark lungs? Can you say "tobacco use"?

You claim that there are no controlled experiments that show a causal relationship between darkened lungs and disease, and tobacco smoke. Actually, an experiment has been going on for quite some time now, involving unwitting test subjects known as smokers.
Quote:

But what you have not done is show that a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle makes it especially dangerous; so dangerous in fact that all rifles with pistol grips should be banned.
Glennn

Wed 4 Dec, 2019 12:05 pm
@InfraBlue,
Now, in reference to the list of 44 school shootings in 46 weeks being used to push the idea that children are being slaughtered at school on a weekly basis, I have recieved a no-comment response to the first two incidents I've posted. Therefore, we will move on to the next one.

A 16-year old student was shot by another student outside Ridgway High School in what police believe to be a gang-related incident. The victim was taken to the hospital and later released. The investigation has shown this was an isolated incident of violence following a verbal altercation. There is no evidence to suggest the suspect planned any other acts of violence against additional students.

So, is this your idea of school children being slaughtered, and a reason to ban guns?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Wed 4 Dec, 2019 12:25 pm
@Glennn,
Clearly a school shooting no different in principle than others like columnine
. guns where even scalia in heller said guns could be excludoed. Cnns criteria work. Whatever unstates criteria you seem to be using are wack.
Glennn

Wed 4 Dec, 2019 01:16 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:

Let's test your theory concerning the principle involved in both shootings.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

A 16-year old student was shot by another student outside Ridgway High School in what police believe to be a gang-related incident. The victim was taken to the hospital and later released. The investigation has shown this was an isolated incident of violence following a verbal altercation. There is no evidence to suggest the suspect planned any other acts of violence against additional students.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

So explain how this incident at all resembles the Columbine incident.
Quote:
. guns where even scalia in heller said guns could be excludoed. Cnns criteria work. Whatever unstates criteria you seem to be using are wack.

Wut?
MontereyJack

Wed 4 Dec, 2019 01:54 pm
@Glennn,
Student with a grudge shot anothent student. And of course guns were used, the common thread. The motives are clearly going to be wildly divergent. You seem to want to role some outf to make some sort of unstated ideological point. I'll gi wuth cnns criteria. Guns schools injury or ddeath. Obvious.
Glennn

Wed 4 Dec, 2019 02:36 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:

So explain how this incident at all resembles the Columbine incident.

So far, I've heard people pushing the point that guns need to be banned. These same people are using "school shootings" as justification for such a ban. They say that "our school children are being slaughtered on a weekly basis."

Now, you can pretend that you don't understand the difference between the first three incidents on that list of 44 shootings that I've so far provided and the Columbine incident, but that's not going to fly here. That's why I'm asking you to explain how the first three incidents I've presented from that list resembles the Columbine incident in which children were slaughtered.
RABEL222

Wed 4 Dec, 2019 02:48 pm
@Glennn,
Guns, school, 16 year student. You are transparent as ollie. Kill as many school kids as you want to but don't screw with my perceived opinion of the 2nd amendment of the constitution.
Glennn

Wed 4 Dec, 2019 03:04 pm
@RABEL222,
You're another poster who is refusing to explain how the first three incidents I've presented from that list resembles the Columbine incident in which children were slaughtered. What we have in this incident is an unplanned gang-related shooting that took place after an altercation in which no one else was targeted.

So if you don't care to explain how this incident is the same as the Columbine incident in which school children were being slaughtered, we can move on to the next incident on that list of 44.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

A 19-year-old student was shot in the abdomen and killed in a Tennessee State University dorm. The incident occurred after an 18-year-old classmate discharged a stolen gun he was playing with. The shooter and victim thought the gun was a pellet gun.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, is this your idea of school children being slaughtered, and a reason to ban guns?
InfraBlue

Wed 4 Dec, 2019 04:21 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
there aren't any controlled experiments showing a causal relationship, however. These conclusions are all inferred. Can you say "inference?"

Well let's see. Cigarette smoke contains carcinogens. Carcinogens are known to cause cancer. There are 43 known carcinogens in cigarette smoke. The CDC has stated that 90% of all lung cancer deaths are caused by cigarette smoke. And from those facts, you infer that 90% of all lung cancer deaths are not caused by carcinogen-containing cigarette smoke. Gotcha!

I'm not inferring that 90% of all lung cancer deaths are not caused by carcinogen-containing cigarette smoke. I'm saying that there are no controlled experiments showing a cause and effect relationship between the two. All that you and the statements that you quote about what the CDC says, and the CDC itself have are inferences.

Glennn wrote:
Quote:
There are no controlled experiments that show a causal relationship between disease and darkened lungs and tobacco use

Concerning the photos of the side-by-side comparison of a smoker's and a non smoker's lungs seen at the link I provided, what do you infer from those photos regarding the cause of the darkening of the dark lungs? Can you say "tobacco use"?

Exactly! You're asking me to draw a conclusion from an inference. Very good!

Glennn wrote:
You claim that there are no controlled experiments that show a causal relationship between darkened lungs and disease, and tobacco smoke. Actually, an experiment has been going on for quite some time now, involving unwitting test subjects known as smokers.

So, where's this study?

Glennn wrote:
Quote:

But what you have not done is show that a shift of the wrist when holding a rifle makes it especially dangerous; so dangerous in fact that all rifles with pistol grips should be banned.

You're right. What I've inferred is a conclusion that certain of these features that include pistol grips make a rifle especially dangerous and that these rifles with such features should be banned.
Glennn

Wed 4 Dec, 2019 04:57 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
All that you and the statements that you quote about what the CDC says, and the CDC itself have are inferences.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Smoking accounts for the vast majority of lung cancer deaths, causing 90 percent of all lung cancer deaths in men and about 80 percent in women. In 2000, a Surgeon General report revealed that tobacco smoke contains more than 4,000 chemical compounds, with 43 being known carcinogens.

You don't seem to know a declarative statement when you hear one. Apparently you believe that they are guessing at what they are telling you.
Quote:
You're asking me to draw a conclusion from an inference.

No, you're simply refusing to accept that smoking darkens the lungs and accounts for the vast majority of lung cancer deaths. Essentially, you believe in a cause without an effect.
Quote:
So, where's this study?

You can be shown that cigarette smoke contains carcinogens; that carcinogens are known to cause cancer; that there are 43 known carcinogens in cigarette smoke; and that the CDC has stated that 90% of all lung cancer deaths are caused by cigarette smoke, but those facts are meaningless to you. I can't help you with that.
Quote:
What I've inferred is a conclusion that certain of these features that include pistol grips make a rifle especially dangerous and that these rifles with such features should be banned.

Your inferences are meaningless. The point is that you have nothing to back your claim that a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous. I have invited you to explain how it is that a simple shift of the wrist when holding a rifle makes it especially dangerous. So far, you have come up emptyhanded.
Glennn

Wed 4 Dec, 2019 05:06 pm
@InfraBlue,

Two women were shot outside a South Carolina State University residential building, according to university officials. Their injuries were not life-threatening. Witnesses told investigators some kind of argument or fight happened off-campus between multiple people. Those people then came onto the SCSU campus, he said. Police are working to identify the gunman and determine whether they have any connection to the university, Clark said.
A student who says she was wounded said it began as an argument between two males that led to shots being fired.

0 Replies