Fellow Bostonians: How many of us wished we had an assault weapon last night?

cicerone imposter

Sun 13 Nov, 2016 06:35 pm
@Angelgz2,
The chance of someone with a gun entering your home is about as real as lightening striking you dead.
The chance of a burglary is one in 36 on average, but we happen to live in one of the safest cities in the country.

Safest cities in the United States:
Quote:
In fact, SmartAsset's analysis found that the safest city in the Northeast is Yonkers, New York, which ranked just 29th overall.
Sunnyvale, California. ...
Honolulu, Hawaii. ...
Bellevue, Washington. ...
Cary, North Carolina. ...
Alexandria, Virginia. ...
San Jose, California. ...
McAllen, Texas. ...
Fremont, California.
More items...
The Safest Cities in America | SmartAsset.com
https://smartasset.com/mortgage/safest-cities-in-america
NSFW (view)
Angelgz2

Wed 30 Nov, 2016 12:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The chance of someone with a gun entering your home is about as real as lightening striking you dead.

Exactly, as real as lightening strikes you, but not zero. It's like someone always wins the lottery, despite the odds are smaller than a meteor strikes exactly your house. Also does it have to be "someone with a gun?" Someone with a height of 6'11" and weight 150 lbs is enough for overpower me and my wife and all he needs is a knife so I don't know man, perhaps you know karate. I may have many other talents but Karate isn't one of them. And mind you, they don't have to kill you or your family to do serious damages. Sexual assault is just as or probably more detrimental.

Good for you that you are living in the safest city. Again, "safe" doesn't mean impossible. I have a license to carry a firearm; my wife knows that, but we still don't have a gun. We've talked many times about getting one, but ultimately taking a life or hurting someone ain't easy and we aren't sure if we can do it even if some one DO break in. However, when it comes to a choice between someone hurting my wife and kids vs I'm having to shoot first, the choice would probably become obvious. I sure wish that even if one day I do decide to buy that gun it'll be safely locked in the safe and never to be used.
RABEL222

Wed 30 Nov, 2016 07:12 pm
@Angelgz2,
Do you think the baseball bats my wife keeps at every door might have an effect on someone trying to break into our house?
Angelgz2

Thu 1 Dec, 2016 07:41 am
@RABEL222,
Sure, but that is perhaps your wife. Don't assume everyone has the courage or ability to engage someone who breaks in with a fist fight, especially when you know you aren't likely to over power them. Mind you, in many occasions there's always a "partner in crime", so you are now 1 against 2.

That's what I find most liberals are truly hypocrites. They say it won't happen, and then when it happens to someone else, they say it's a tragedy and it's nobody's fault and just "**** happens". Well, I dare you to say that to the victim's face.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:09 am
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/b7/64/42/b7644232a5abc1b99a0e24657e959559.jpg
0 Replies

Frugal1

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:20 am
http://www.gun-shots.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/its-none-of-your-damned-business-what-i-choose-to-protect-my-home-and-family-with.jpg
George

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:54 am
@Frugal1,
Maybe I missed it.
Did someone ask?
Frugal1

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 09:40 am
@George,
You missed it.
George

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 09:40 am
@Frugal1,
Not uncommon.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 11:01 am
@Frugal1,
It is interesting that these posters are all of White people.
Baldimo

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 12:06 pm
@maxdancona,
Did you not look at the first poster? That dude looks hispanic and so does the girl with him.
maxdancona

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 12:30 pm
@Baldimo,
Hispanic is an ethnicity. People are both White and Hispanic. These people are White... they wouldn't even look out of place at a Trump rally.

And what is with the theme of sexualized girls on these posters. It is a little creepy.
Baldimo

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 12:43 pm
@maxdancona,
Look at the first picture again. The one with just the "dad" and the "daughter", you are telling me that brown dude is white? What is sexualized about the girl in the picture? She isn't showing any skin, she is holding a gun. Not to mention she is also wearing proper eye-wear for shooting.

I think you are trying to see "racism and sexism" in the picture.
maxdancona

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 01:14 pm
@Baldimo,
Really, that is your definition of Brown?

The point I a making is valid. These posters never portray Black families with guns in a positive way, or Middle Eastern families with guns, or anyone who has more pigmentation that this allegedly "Hispanic" guy in the first poster.

These posters all portray a Strong White Man (or occasionally a Strong White Woman) defending women and children. The White is important as shown by the fact that 99% of of the people portrayed as Strong Family Defenders in these posters are White.

The fact that they are White is part of the fantasy being portrayed in these posters.

Here is a very nice American family... but I couldn't find a family that looked like this in any of the gun posters.
https://c.tadst.com/gfx/750w/mexico-father-day.jpg?1
Baldimo

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 01:29 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Really, that is your definition of Brown?

I'm olive complected and he is darker than I am, so yes that qualifies as brown. That fact that you think he is white is the joke, he's as white as Obama.

Quote:
The point I a making is valid. These posters never portray Black families with guns in a positive way, or Middle Eastern families with guns, or anyone who has more pigmentation that this allegedly "Hispanic" guy in the first poster.

So do you take issue with the people making the post or the company who created the posters in the first place?

Quote:
These posters all portray a Strong White Man (or occasionally a Strong White Woman) defending women and children. The White is important as shown by the fact that 99% of of the people portrayed as Strong Family Defenders in these posters are White.

The fact that they are White is part of the fantasy being portrayed in these posters.

I think your anger is misplaced, it should be at the people who make the posts, not the people who made the posters. Instead of just assuming, that is what you are doing, why don't you ask the people who post these things if there were posters of other than white people posted there. That would be an interesting thing to do, instead you automatically assume that the pictures themselves are racist. It's poor form from someone who usually has more interesting things to say here. You are one of my favorite posters here and I know you can do better than that.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 01:31 pm
@maxdancona,
The "dad and daughter" has people that are just as brown as these people, I don't get your point about them not being brown. Maybe you have your monitor turned for "white out" mode, it makes everything seem whiter, that way you have something to complain about.
maxdancona

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 02:00 pm
@Baldimo,
You got me wrong Baldimo (and thank you for the backhanded compliment, It was one of the nicest backhanded compliments I have ever received). I am not angry, and I am not complaining.

I am mocking the fantasy that is being sold here; that "I am a strong man who is going to defend my family with heavy weaponry against bad people". It is silly if you think about it.

A man who really cares about the welfare of his family will take them to get their checkups and immunizations, will replace the batteries in their smoke detectors, make sure the car is maintained. There are many things that real men do that actually increase the safety of their family. Whatever you believe about the second amendment, guns are not matter of safety.

My fantasy is that when someone invades my house I will spring into action and neutralize the threat with three paper clips and a slotted wooden spoon (which is hanging on the wall for just this purpose... I don't seem to ever use it for anything else). I think my fantasy is more badass than theirs... but that is just me. In my forty something years of life I have never had any use for either a big manly gun or a slotted wooden spoon, and neither has anyone I know.

The point is that these posters represent a rather silly fantasy, and race seems to be a part of that.
Baldimo

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 03:00 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I am mocking the fantasy that is being sold here; that "I am a strong man who is going to defend my family with heavy weaponry against bad people". It is silly if you think about it.

You uneducated bias is showing again. Heavy weaponry? An AR-15 is not heavy weaponry, it is defined as light weaponry. In fact a shotgun blast to the chest is going to do more damage to someone then a 5.56mm or 223 calibur round, which is what the AR commonly shoots.

Quote:
A man who really cares about the welfare of his family will take them to get their checkups and immunizations, will replace the batteries in their smoke detectors, make sure the car is maintained.

So you expect a company who is pushing gun safety to talk about all of those things as well?

Quote:
There are many things that real men do that actually increase the safety of their family.

Ohhh, look at the term "real men". Once again your bias against guns is showing. Let me guess, in your eyes, any "man" who has a gun is just compensating for having a small dick?

Quote:
Whatever you believe about the second amendment, guns are not matter of safety.

Guns are a matter of safety. You don't agree with that and that's fine, but any respectable gun owner will have taken a gun safety course and learned how to properly handle a firearm. With guns just like anything else, there are rules to follow. You don't know them and that's your problem but your uninformed opinion on guns doesn't pass muster with those who are informed about guns.

Do you know the first rule or even the second rule?
1) Treat every gun as if it is loaded.
2) When you pick up a gun, check to see if it loaded.

You don't want people to learn those things?

Quote:
My fantasy is that when someone invades my house I will spring into action and neutralize the threat with three paper clips and a slotted wooden spoon (which is hanging on the wall for just this purpose... I don't seem to ever use it for anything else). I think my fantasy is more badass than theirs... but that is just me. In my forty something years of life I have never had any use for either a big manly gun or a slotted wooden spoon, and neither has anyone I know.

Well I hope that when someone breaks into the front door or even the back door, that you can get to your spoon hanging on the wall. Me, I'll be able to reach under my bed and into my gun safe and pull my weapon. I won't have to worry about what someone would do if they broke into my home. I'm squared away.

I'll even share a story with you about my one defensive gun use.
It was early in the moring and I had to grab some clean clothes out of the dryer. When I walked by my back sliding glass door, I saw someone trying to look through the windows of my garage. I went back to my bedroom, grabbed my S&W .40 and went back to the door. I opened the slider put my arm out the door and said "Get the **** out of my back yard before I shoot you!" The guy ran out of the yard pretty damn fast. Now would he have done that if I didn't have the gun pointed at him? No idea, but I do know the gun had the desired effect and that was to stop him from taking what wasn't his or harming me or my family.

Quote:
The point is that these posters represent a rather silly fantasy, and race seems to be a part of that.

Is it a fantasy? Just because you haven't had to defend your home doesn't mean that thousands haven't. This is a statement from the CDC study that Obama ordered back in 2012 and was completed in 2013:
Quote:
The study (available as a PDF) calls the defensive use of guns by crime victims "a common occurrence, although the exact number remains disputed." While it might be as high as 3 million defensive uses of guns each year, some scholars point to the much lower estimate of 108,000 times a year. "The variation in these numbers remains a controversy in the field," the study notes.

At the high end of 3 million per year or the low end of only 108,000 per year, it is more than likely between those #'s, that is still thousands and thousands of people are living in a "fantasy" as you call it. Plus gun ownership has increased while the crime rate has dropped, so more guns does not mean more crime. In fact the cheap view is that more guns in the correct hands lower crime rates.

Bringing race into it from the view of a few posters is the same liberal claptrap that the left always brings to the table. Everything is about race and nothing is about actual people. Do you know who Colion Noir is? If you do I'll be surprised.
maxdancona

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 07:32 am
@Baldimo,
This is getting silly.
0 Replies