Fellow Bostonians: How many of us wished we had an assault weapon last night?

OmSigDAVID

Sat 25 May, 2013 01:14 am
@McTag,
U shud put me on Ignore.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sat 25 May, 2013 01:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
That is shockingly HORRIBLE legislation.
It creates a state of terror & uncertainty in the populace.
Walter Hinteler wrote:
It isn't and it doesn't.
It's in the criminal code since ages and never ever has created any "terror" and/or uncertainity.
(It derives from our Christian sources)
I believe u, that it does not,
in that most people do not know that it is there (I imagine).

It is very alien to considerations of personal freedom.

David
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 May, 2013 02:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Quote:
under the circumstances, particularly if it is possible without substantial danger to himself
I take it that Germany has no equivalent
to the 13th Amendment of the US Constitution ?
(i.e., defense: "I am not your slave; I have no duty
to render unpaid work.")
From our basic law
Quote:
Article 2
[Personal freedoms]

(1) Every person shall have the right to free development of his personality insofar as he does not violate the rights of others or offend against the constitutional order or the moral law.

(2) Every person shall have the right to life and physical integrity. Freedom of the person shall be inviolable. These rights may be interfered with only pursuant to a law.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 May, 2013 02:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

[/quote]Everyone knows that - at least those, who have a driving license (because you need to have a "first aid certificate" to get that).

No, we don't think it limits our freedoms ... "Christian background" and all that, you know.
OmSigDAVID

Sat 25 May, 2013 08:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Everyone knows that - at least those, who have a driving license
(because you need to have a "first aid certificate" to get that).

No, we don't think it limits our freedoms ... "Christian background" and all that, you know.
So then: the law does NOT limit your freedom
to lawfully WALK AWAY, minding your own business,
if u see a bloody accident ???
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 May, 2013 08:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
So then: the law does NOT limit your freedom
to lawfully WALK AWAY, minding your own business,
if u see a bloody accident ???
It does. And we are not allowed to drive a car legally without driving license. There are additionally even speed limits in towns, drinking age is 16 resp. 18, we can't marry legally two spouses, ....

Indeed. Only the USA is the land of the free!
BillRM

Sat 25 May, 2013 10:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Unlike the German culture we do not see the need to make laws around all possible moral decisions that our citizens might need to face.

As far as a willingness to render aid by our citizens without laws all one would need to do is watch the videos of the actions of our citizens right after the Boston bombing where people ran into the center of the bombings and gave life saving first aid to people who had their limbs blown off and was bleeding out.

The US government is suppose to be our servant not our master a concept that seems not in the minds of Germans.

Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 May, 2013 11:28 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Unlike the German culture we do not see the need to make laws around all possible moral decisions that our citizens might need to face.
Well, could you kindly add those few dozen others cultures which have similar laws? Thank you.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 May, 2013 11:33 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
The US government is suppose to be our servant not our master a concept that seems not in the minds of Germans.
We elect our government via our parliament, which is formed by the political will of the people.

Such has been in our minds at least since the formation of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 May, 2013 11:36 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

As far as a willingness to render aid by our citizens without laws all one would need to do is watch the videos of the actions of our citizens right after the Boston bombing where people ran into the center of the bombings and gave life saving first aid to people who had their limbs blown off and was bleeding out.
I think that's extraordinary good that every citizen in your country has a good knowledge in first aid. As said above, here people have to do it by law (to get a driving license).
BillRM

Sat 25 May, 2013 11:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
We elect our government via our parliament, which is formed by the political will of the people.

Yes we all know how following the German people will by way of your parliament had work out for you in the past.

Thankfully our foundering fathers had placed many protections against the majority of the people will harming the minority of the people.

One of those many protections is having an armed citizenry.
BillRM

Sat 25 May, 2013 11:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
As said above, here people have to do it by law (to get a driving license).

No law needed as for example I learn CPR when it was offer at my work place no law needed to get the majority of my co-workers to stray after work to learn that skill.

Governments should not try to be parents to adults.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 May, 2013 12:35 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Yes we all know how following the German people will by way of your parliament had work out for you in the past..
I agree that our parliament was largely dominated by the conservatives for quite some time. And I can imagine that for you a parliament with several political parties must look peculiar funny.

But actually, there had been even a time when we had had extra-parliamentary opposition, commonly known as the APO.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 May, 2013 12:37 pm
@BillRM,
Perhaps you will re-write our basic law?
McTag

Sat 25 May, 2013 01:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I thought you were going over to London for the game, Walter?

Although I suppose you could be in a pub with a laptop. Just so you could bandy words with the civics and jurisprudence experts of A2K.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 May, 2013 01:30 pm
@McTag,
At home.(Merkel got my ticket)
I'm not a fan of the Reds (nor of the Yellows, but they are Westphalians...)
McTag

Sat 25 May, 2013 01:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Interesting article in The Guardian today about how the northern Germans hate Bayern Muenchen, Bavarians in general I think.

here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/25/bayern-munich-germans-love-to-hate
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 May, 2013 01:39 pm
@McTag,
Rummenigge is born here, started his career in our local football club ...
0 Replies

Angelgz2

Fri 11 Nov, 2016 11:49 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
We have a dedicated professional police force that did an amazing job. That was more than enough.

That's real funny everyone say this...., but, if someone enters your home with a gun, do police teleport to your home? For the longest time I hated guns, but news of break-ins in my previous neighborhood changed my mind. Last time I checked, the fastest possible response time, even with my premium ADT coverage, is 2 minutes. If you live farther from the police station, it may take longer. Oh yeah, definitely don't trip when you are looking for your cellphone to call the cops.

It's funny you oppose repealing the 14th amendment, saying it's our constitutional rights, but now you sound like you oppose the 2nd amendment. So you get to pick and choose what amendment suits you the best?
cicerone imposter

Sun 13 Nov, 2016 06:31 pm
@Angelgz2,
The chance of someone with a gun entering your home is about as real as lightening striking you dead. However, the incidence of a burglary is much higher at one in 36 in the United States. It depends on which city one lives in where burglary might be very high.
0 Replies