Fellow Bostonians: How many of us wished we had an assault weapon last night?

Baldimo

Thu 9 May, 2013 12:50 pm
@Region Philbis,
I don't know for sure, but I'm willing to bet if they had committed a crime against someone with a gun, they would be a felon and not able to own a firearm. Do you know if they have hurt family members?
BillRM

Thu 9 May, 2013 01:05 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
I don't know for sure, but I'm willing to bet if they had committed a crime against someone with a gun, they would be a felon and not able to own a firearm. Do you know if they have hurt family members?

If you harm a family member in the US and are found guilty of a misdemeanor domestic violence charge you can not also own a firearm.

So you do not need to be a felon in that case to lose you guns rights.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 9 May, 2013 01:20 pm
@BillRM,
You don't know the laws of the US; that's pretty obvious.

This thread is titled "Fellow Bostonians." It's not about the UK.

BillRM

Thu 9 May, 2013 01:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It about the laws some fools here would like to imposed on the US by one means or another.
Baldimo

Thu 9 May, 2013 01:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm pretty sure he is correct.

The Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban ("Gun Ban for Individuals Convicted of a Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence", Pub.L. 104–208,[1] 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(9)[2]) is an amendment to the Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997 enacted by the 104th United States Congress in 1996, which bans access to firearms by people convicted of crimes of domestic violence. The act is often referred to as "the Lautenberg Amendment" after its sponsor, Senator Frank Lautenberg (D - NJ).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 9 May, 2013 01:34 pm
@BillRM,
Who exactly are those "fools?" Please name them, or provide a credible source for your foolish claim?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 9 May, 2013 02:25 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Quote:
NOBODY is denying anyone to go to a target range to shoot guns. NOBODY.
Apart from it being a fairly brainless thing to do.
Has he got no TV or anything useful to do?
Skillful personal defense can be very "useful to do".

"Practice makes perfect."

David
BillRM

Thu 9 May, 2013 02:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Skillful personal defense can be very "useful to do".

"Practice makes perfect."

It is at least a moral duty to keep a minimum skill level up if you are a firearms owner even if you do not enjoy going to the range.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 9 May, 2013 02:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Don't you know your Constitution? All rights are not unlimited, and that goes for 'PRE-EXISTING RIGHTS.' They can be amended.
Thay can be amended BY THE MEANS SET FORTH IN ARTICLE 5.
Until that actually happens, thay remain intact.

David
cicerone imposter

Thu 9 May, 2013 03:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You wrote,
Quote:
Until that actually happens, thay remain intact.

"they"

Who has ever argued otherwise?
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 14 May, 2013 09:17 pm
Most right wingers hype the words of Wayne LaPierre about needing guns to fight the government - ie, US government. These comments are seditious - a felony and treasonous . This kind of talk in and of itself should rule out a person and household from possessing guns!
H2O MAN

Tue 14 May, 2013 09:29 pm
Rolling Eyes left wingers
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 15 May, 2013 07:01 am
@BillW,
Quote:
These comments are seditious - a felony and treasonous . This kind of talk in and of itself should rule out a person and household from possessing guns!

LOL our founding fathers did not feel that way and in fact they declared in plain language that the people have a right in fact even a duty to change governments by force if need be.

Come to think of it from your above comments my bet BillW is that you are not an American as we had always held the idea that it is a right and a duty to overthrow any government by force that have gotten too far out of line if there is no other means of changing it.

Quote:
Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
BillW

Wed 15 May, 2013 11:46 am
@BillRM,
Ignorance is preferable to error, and He is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than He who believes what is wrong. -Thomas Jefferson (Notes on Virginia, 1782)
H2O MAN

Wed 15 May, 2013 11:50 am
@BillW,
Truth is strength
BillW

Wed 15 May, 2013 11:58 am
@H2O MAN,
Thanks, I'm glad you agree with me WaterMan! Sedition is sedition, regardless of what you want to believe - to act upon seditionious actions is to become treasonious and to invoke revolution. I stand!

Quote:
Sedition is the stirring up of rebellion against the government in power. Treason is the violation of allegiance to one's sovereign or state, giving aid to enemies, or levying war against one's state. Sedition is encouraging one's fellow citizens to rebel against their state, whereas treason is actually betraying one's country by aiding and abetting another state. Sedition laws somewhat equate to terrorism and public order laws.

BillRM

Wed 15 May, 2013 12:02 pm
@BillW,
You quote President Jefferson!!!!!!!!!????????

Quote:
This Jefferson............

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Thomas Jefferson

0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 15 May, 2013 12:17 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
Thanks, I'm glad you agree with me WaterMan! Sedition is sedition, regardless of what you want to believe - to act upon seditionious actions is to become treasonious and to invoke revolution. I stand!

Yes and all our founding fathers with special note of the signers of the Declaration of Independent could had been hung if they had lost under those legal grounds.

It is always a good idea to win if you are going to rebel.

Quote:
We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. Franklin, Benjamin -

However US courts had found that you need an immediate threat to overcome the first amendment.

Quote:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/first+amendment

The U.S. Supreme Court has held that government may not prohibit speech that advocates illegal or subversive activity unless "such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action" (Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395U.S. 444, 89 S. Ct. 1827, 23 L. Ed. 2d 430 [1969]). Applying the Brandenburg test, the Court ruled that the government could not punish an anti-war protester who yelled, "[W]e'll take the ******* street later," because such speech "amounted to nothing more than advocacy of illegal action at some indefinite future time" (Hess v. Indiana, 414 U.S. 105, 94 S. Ct. 326, 38 L. Ed. 2d 303[1973]). Nor could the government punish someone who, in opposition to the draft during the Vietnam War, proclaimed, "f they ever make me carry a rifle, the first man I want in my sights is [the president of the United States]L.B.J." (Watts v. United States, 394 U.S. 705, 89 S. Ct. 1399, 22 L. Ed. 2d 664 [1969]). Such politically charged rhetoric, the Court held, was mere hyperbole and not a threat intended to be acted on at a definite point in time.

Once more the question come into my mind are you an American citizen or not.
BillW

Wed 15 May, 2013 12:28 pm
@BillRM,
Then either **** or get off the pot....otherwise, maybe you should go to jail - sedition is still illegal! As a means of protest, speech is legal - as a means of revolting against the government, it is illegal. Even, inciting to riot is illegal. One of the 1st act against revolutionists is to prevent them from arming. If they shoe was on the other foot, I would hate to hear the diatribe.

This isn't a founding father thing where everyone is together and we are rebelling against a government thousands of miles away. When 1/2 the country rebels against the other 1/2 of the country - this is called Civil War; so I repeat, either **** or get off the pot!

And, preservation of the government makes me the American and you the revolter. Get your facts straight!
BillRM

Wed 15 May, 2013 12:39 pm
@BillW,
Sorry dear heart read the legal article I had already posted in that it is legal to talk about whether the government had or have not gone so far out of line that force is call for to overthrow the state or to declare that you would be willing to rebel against the government under certain circumstances.

The US government by the constitution is forbidden to act against anyone who issue such speak such as by seizing firearms.

Once more are you a citizen of the US or from some less free nation such as the UK or Germany?